Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

TinyV said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 1:04 am:
Amazing. Just amazing.

RanaHewezi1998This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 9:06 pm:
that was just BEAUTIFUL! i love the message behind this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

citylightsgirl93 said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm:
this was great. keep up the fantastic writing!

Alya_O.o said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm:
I don't usually like romance....but I liked how this was different! It was not sappy or sicky-sweet but still touching and moving. Keep it up!!

DodgingRaindrops said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 5:11 pm:
Absoulutley beautiful, never change, your an amazing author!

caprifox97 said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm:
Wow... I loved this, even whent as far as reading it to my family. I used to have two friends one white one colored, niether like me much any more. It was not my fault that they didn't like each other, nor was it my colored friends fault that niether of us knew my white friend was rasist. She hid it well, or so she thought, we overheard her talking saying nasty things about my colored friend.... my white friend gave me an ultamatum... one or the other, I refused to pick.... I shouldn't have to..... (more »)

imalwayswrite said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 4:03 pm:
that's really cool i love your connection!

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:24 am:
Wow! Great job! I especially love the quote at the end. Great job and you are right, people judge and discriminate others too much! :) Keep Writing!

Julia.gilmore said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:24 am:

Usually I hate reading romance fiction- I mean, it's pretty clear that most of the people writing it have never been on a date. And to be honest, when I started reading this I was going to stop, but continued because it was so short.

And your ending blew me away.

Keep writing, this is fantastic!

msoccerm345 said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 9:05 am:
this is an amazing piece of writing. i love it. i think that my parents would do the same exact thing if i were to date someone of a different race, they already hate the guy i am totally in love with and he is the same color as me. they hardly ever let me see him and when they do, they dont trust us to be alone so someone else aways has to come with. i hate it. i think im old enough to know who i love and what is good for me. they just dont understand. thank you so much for writing this piece. ... (more »)

missscribbles said...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 5:58 pm:
Wow...I'm having a jealousy fit right now.

-DreamForever- said...
May 23, 2011 at 9:25 am:
This is amazing and conveys a message everyone should take to heart. My parents are racist. They claim they don't mind me having "black friends," yet if I bring one home they're scared something is going to get stolen.  They actually say they don't want me to date someone who's black because they don't want "little black grand babies." It's a sore subject in my house, but I know that if I fall inlove with someone of a different race, I'm not going to let my parents control it. 

Jesse T. replied...
May 23, 2011 at 6:56 pm :
Color of skin has nothing to do with personality. And i took this message by heart. It was well written. =D

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 23, 2011 at 4:12 am:
Very well written. Simply amazing. Good job!!! I love it! :)

ashleyn said...
May 1, 2011 at 6:31 pm:
That was Amazing! I loved it. I love your choice of words and your voice when you write. (:

LovelyWaves said...
May 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm:
WOW! That was amazing !! You have an awesome way with words! :) Keep writing! I want to know what happens next!!!!

JoPepper said...
May 1, 2011 at 11:58 am:

omigod

that was amazing is the last line your own quote? 'cause I love it!!!!!!!:O

NavishJaved said...
May 1, 2011 at 11:40 am:
I love it! It's so emotional and powerful. This is excellent and well-written. :)

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 1, 2011 at 10:32 am:
wow. that was extremely powerful. congratulations, this is amazingg

Dango-chan said...
May 1, 2011 at 1:58 am:

awesome..

that's the only thing i could say..