Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

DiamondsIntheGrassThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 7, 2010 at 9:56 am:
thats really deep.  love how the quote brings everything together.  can you take a look at my work? thanks.

yvonne2012 said...
this is amazing!!! eventhough its so short it really touches you.

whitwhit said...
That is soo good.

lyssa28 said...
Oh my gosh. i was speechless when i read this. this is so amazing. I was so touched. Im glad my parents arent like that. My mom is white and my dad moved here from mexico when he was 21.

heeeeeyou said...
bee-you-tea-ful.

murasaki.discord said...
This is sooooo well written and amazing. I have to agree with everyone that the final quote was amazing.

whatever... said...
I agree!!! I also agree with everyone else that your quote was AMAZING!!! I would never have been able to come up with that! Nice Work!!!

spoarder said...
that was amazing!

xxGlitterxx said...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 9:43 am:
I loved it. I'm naturally original, but I'm speechless and nothing seems good enough as "I loved it"

happysoul replied...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm :

I love it and I love your point of view.

leeleewolf_is_a_duck said...
That was wonderful. I wish I could come up with an original comment, but that was absolutely amazing. I don't know what else to say. I'm so glad my parents aren't like that.

brown.sugar said...
beautoful piece can you check out some of mine its in the poetry section.

Shelly-T said...
This is a beautiful piece; amazing job!

The_Blackest_Rose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 10, 2010 at 10:42 am:
Very beautifully written, especially since it is in second person! It takes a very talented writer to be able to pull off second person point of view, but you pulled it off wonderfully. Very believeable and very touching. Excellent!

Hippiechick10 said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 7:42 pm:
Beautiful, fantastic, so awe-inspiring.

Babylufin said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 8:09 pm:

Amazing! And soo true! Good work! Beautiful idea! Kudos!

Please take a look at my work, if you will? :D It would mean so much, but idk if it will be your taste! Lol.

optimisticpessimist said...
Jul. 26, 2010 at 6:55 pm:
I love this! It's so true. I would appreciate if you could look at my work, thanks

wishingyouwerehere said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 12:44 pm:
This is amazing, I absolutely love it.  My only question is: Why did you decide to write it in second person?

swimmer295 said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 3:35 pm:
I love this.  It's a really powerful piece, and I especially like how you didn't use very many words to convey such a powerful message. 

lovetowriteandwatchTV said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 12:26 pm:

very good, i like a person a person that's the opposite nationality and it's hard when people think he's not good enough or something, thankyou for writing this peice it's very good.

if anyone reads this will you please read some of my stories, thanks :)