Dirty Laundry | Teen Ink

Dirty Laundry MAG

By Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania
Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania

"Life's no fun if you're not insane, otherwise you grow up to be an accountant." -Moi

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson

Oh wow, just a short story that reveals a great message. Good job! I can't agree more with the letter at the end!

ains_key said...
ains_key, Spokane, Washington
This is amazing!! There's such a strong message behind it, even though it is so short. I adore this story, it is so well written!!!!

Megabook said...
Megabook, Los Angeles , California
The is so interesting pleases make a part 2.

on Mar. 21 2018 at 10:17 am
Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
- Winnie the Pooh

This is utterly amazing. It is ingenious and one of the best pieces I've ever read:)

Jmh24 SILVER said...
on Jul. 20 2017 at 12:37 am
Jmh24 SILVER, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
I absolutely love this! I love the comparison between skin color and the laundry. It's short and to the point, but it is clear of what the message is - which is something that everyone needs to hear and to understand. Beautiful job :)

Dakotamayy said...
Dakotamayy, Spartanburg, South Carolina
Absolutely amazing story.Shed's light on what is still going on.

Ermie BRONZE said...
Ermie BRONZE, Logan, Utah
This is absolutely wonderful! Short and sweet, but so-o deep :D Two thumbs up, all the way!!!!

falling4u said...
falling4u, Pell City, Alabama
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it from top to bottom. I know how it feels for ur parents not to approve of a guy and not want u to see him bc of his color. (sooooooo deep):)

RobotPenn. SILVER, El Paso, Texas

"Profound change is cumulative."

So Lovely. So, so, so beautiful. I love this story. :)

on Apr. 7 2015 at 2:40 am
BeautyWhispers PLATINUM, Nevada City, California

Be Yourself, Be Unique, Be Me. :) - By BeautyWhispers

This is truly amazing!

Axela17 GOLD said...
Axela17 GOLD, New Bremen, Ohio

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live by the body, I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." -Galatians 2:20

I have a new appreciation for dirty laundry...

devotion77 said...
This story is so touching! I can totally relate to this.... totally! Write way more about whatever, you are an amazing writer!

XtinaLisa06 said...
 This was such a great short story. It's relatable to anyone, not just those having issues with racism still in this day of age, but also those feeling like getting a parents approval is hard.  Personally, bringing someone home is nerve racking, and it's disappointing when you do not get your parents/families approval. Great story, and I love the symoblism used.

Dancetron said...
Dancetron, C, California

"A teen is the hardest person to understand.They are treated like children and yet are expected to act like adults."

This story is great and has a very strong message.Thank you.

eatclouds BRONZE, Alexandria, Indiana

Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose or paint can manage to escape the madness, melancholia, the panic and fear which is inherent in a human situation. -Graham Green

I love the message and i especially like how you presented it. Great job (:

Nessa13 GOLD said...
on May. 22 2013 at 10:10 am
Nessa13 GOLD, Charlestown, Indiana

"Love, but never fall in love, because things that fall get broken"
-Taylor Swift

No!! Running away is never the right thing to do, because if you run now, thats all you'll be doing for the rest of your life. Is running away from your problems.. Just talk to your parents and your boyfriend.

Nessa13 GOLD said...
on May. 22 2013 at 10:08 am
Nessa13 GOLD, Charlestown, Indiana

-Taylor Swift

I like it, but my thing is, I feel like this isnt really a story...more like a free verse poem maybe? Or at least a short story. If you added more, and went more in depth, I'm sure you caould make it into a story tho(: But it's good and has a good meaning behind it!

yourlove-mywings SILVER, Yuma, Arizona

"Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.” Luke 17:3-4

This story is to true, especially in today's society. people still judge others by their color! ugh!! i can see that doens't matter to you, and you display perfectly what should happen!! i love it.. absolutely love!!!

the_dreamer42 BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida

"A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be."
-Wayne Gretzky

wow. A-ma-ZING!!

PrincessClaire BRONZE, Fayetteville, North Carolina

don't do me do your hair

Whoa. Just whoa. That's pretty much all there is to say, because that was an absolutely amazing story and you are clearly and amazing writer. I guess I said more than just whoa, but, whatever! Please check out/rate/comment on my work! XXX-Claire