The Little Mermaid, Sort of | Teen Ink

The Little Mermaid, Sort of

By luffyspiratequeen SILVER, Harrisonville, Pennsylvania
luffyspiratequeen SILVER, Harrisonville, Pennsylvania

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

I started doing musicals in 7th grade. My first one was Aladdin. I had a pretty good part, even though I was evil. Since then, I haven't had a good part. No lines, no solos. Now, I'm in 10th grade. This year's musical is The Little Mermaid and auditions were last week. I think I did pretty good. The cast list being announced today and I'm nervous, like, really nervous. I really want a good part.

I managed to get through all of my classes in school and the cast list is up. Time to see how I did. I stepped in front of the list and closed my eyes. Then, I took a deep breath and opened them. I'm...Ariel. My prince...is...Lucas. I've liked him for a long time, but he doesn't know I exist. I imagined him looking at who Ariel was and then going, "Who's Mia?" As I'm thinking this, he walks up to look at the list. He seems happy with his part. He turns to me and says, "Hey, Mia. Congratulations on the part."

I say, "Thanks, you too."

"Yeah, thanks. Looks like we'll be seeing a lot more of each other." I don't know to respond to that. Lucas just walks away. Then, he turned around and said, "See you at the read through tonight." Then he smiled, turned back around, and kept walking.

I shook my head and walked to my bus. On my way home that's all I could think of. That little smile as he walked away. Five minutes ago, I didn't think he even knew me.

When I got home, I told my mom the news and she seemed really happy for me. I grabbed my script and went to highlight my lines. I read them as I highlighted them. Then, I got to a certain part.

We have to kiss! I've never kissed anyone before. What if I suck at it? What if my breath stinks?

"Mia, it's time to go."

"Okay, mom, I'm coming." I grabbed my script and my water and headed to the car.

Once we got the school, I said bye to my mom and walked in. I was the last one there, so as soon as I got settled we started. It was a normal read through, until we got to the kissing scene. Elizabeth, our director, said we could take a break, but she needed to talk to Lucas and I.

When we were alone, she started talking. "Okay, I'm sure both of you realized there is a kiss. I want you to do it. Can you?" Lucas looked at me, as if looking at me would give him the answer. Then, he turned back to Elizabethand said yes. Then, she looked at me. I didn't want to embarrass him, so I nodded. She said, "Okay, great," and she walked away.

I touched Lucas's arm and said, "I need to talk to you about that kiss." He nodded. "If you let me decide when we should kiss, I'll hesitate. I won't do it. So, just do it at a random time, don't let me know. Be random, because...um..."

Lucas interrupted, "Because you've never kissed anyone." i just nodded.

He thought about it for a minute and said, "yeah, I'll do it." Then, our break was over and we got back to work.

I had practice almost everyday and almost every practice I was alone with Lucas. He still hadn't kissed me. I had expected him to do it by now.

My friend, Charlotte, kept trying to warm me that it would only end in tears, but I started to like Lucas more and more as I got to know him more.

After about two weeks of practice, we had a practice with Ursula. Ursula was played by my former-best friend, Isabella. The whole practice she was flirting with Lucas. I was pissed.

Practice went on and about two months later, Lucas still hadn't kissed me, but we had grown pretty close. I had heard rumors that he was going to kiss me tonight, but I don't believe in rumors.

During practice, he asked if he could talk to me, alone. I nodded and followed him out into the hallway. Then, he took my hands, leaned forward, and...asked me out on a date. I stepped back shocked. I thought he was actually going to kiss me. Instead, he asks me out on a date!!! Then, he said, "We could go see a movie on Friday." I thought about what Charlottehad told me, but I accepted anyway.

On Friday, Lucas picked me up at my house. We pulled into the movie theater and I asked what movie we were watching. "The Notebook."

I smiled and said, "Good choice." Lucas grabbed my hand and we walked in. He bought popcorn, soda, and some candy. Then, we walked into the room and sat down. Lucas held my hand for the entire movie. It was a pretty good movie, but I did miss some of it.

At one point in the movie, I leaned over to tell Lucas a joke. He laughed and I leaned back into place. When I was finished moving Lucas turned my face so I was looking at him and he kissed me. It felt amazing. His lips were soft and warm. It was a slow kiss, not rushed or sloppy. It was perfect. He had finally kissed me. I had finally gotten my first kiss. Even better, it wasn't staged.

After the movie Lucas's sister picked us up and took me home. When we got there, I got out and so did Lucas. He walked me up the sidewalk and we stood on the porch. He grabbed my hands and kissed me. Then, he said, "I had a wonderful time."

I said, "I did too. It was an amazing night."

Lucas smiled and kissed me again. This time longer and said, "Goodnight, Mia. I'll see you at practice tomorrow." Then, he walked back to the car and I went inside. I went to bed shortly after that, dreaming of the time I had.

In the morning, I woke up and ate breakfast. Then, I grabbed my stuff and left for musical practice. When I got there, Elizabethgrabbed Lucas and I and asked if we could do the kiss today. We looked at each other and smiled. Then, we both nodded at the same time. Elizabethsaid, "Great! Let's get started!"

Today, we were going to wear costumes, but I hated mine. It showed way too much and I looked terrible in it. When I put my costume on, I went into the bathroom to hide.

Third POV (In the Auditorium)

Elizabethwalks up to Lucas and says, "Lucas, where's Mia?"

Lucas looks around and says, "I don't know. I'll go look for her."

Mia's POV (Bathroom)

I'm sitting on the floor in a locked stall. It's been about three minutes since I hid in here. I bet people are looking for me. As I'm thinking this, I hear a knock on the door, so I stay quiet . Maybe if I don't say anything, they'll think no one's here and leave. Instead, they come in.

"Mia?"

Lucas. Of course he'd know where to look. I still don't answer him. "Mia. I know you're in here. I can see your feet. Come out."

I shook my head and said, "No."

Lucas says, "Why?"

I don't wanna sound like a baby, so I say, "I'm nervous. I don't wanna kiss in front of everyone."

Lucas laughs, "Mia, I know that's not true. Try again."

I sighed, "Because, I look horrible in this costume."

"Unlock the door."

Reluctantly, I got up and unlocked it.

I stood back and Lucas stepped in. He grabbed my hands and said, "You're beautiful. Don't ever think that you aren't. And you look fine it that costume."

I looked down and nodded, "Okay." Lucas tilted my head up so I was looking at him and he kissed me. Then, he grabbed my hand and we walked into the auditorium.

We started from the top. I wasn't nervous at all, until we got to the kissing scene. I was nervous that something would go wrong, or that it would look stupid, but it didn't. It went fine and afterwards everyone started clapping. People were saying we were so cute together and that we should be a couple. I was very happy.

After practice, I went home. A couple of hours text from Lucas, asking me to meet him at the park. I asked my parents and they said it was fine, so I went.

When I got there, I saw Lucas sitting at a table with soda and pizza. I walked over and sat down. He smiled, said hey, and asked me if I was hungry. I said, "Yeah, I'm starving." He smiled again and put a piece of pizza on a plate and gave it to me. We ate and talked. Just hanging out and having fun.

When we were done eating, we played on all of the equipment in the park. I felt like a kid again and it was amazing. I laughed so much. Eventually, we ended up playing tag. I was running, he was chasing. We ran all around, but he lost track of me, so I hid at the top of the blue slide and the lookout. I sat down trying to catch my breath. In about five minutes, he still hadn't found me, so I stood up and looked at the view.

I could remember standing there with my mom looking out. As I looked at the view, Lucas's arms wrapped around me and he kissed my cheek. "I found you," he whispered." I just laughed and we looked at the sunset. Such a beautiful sight.

When the sun finally set, Lucas turned to me and smiled. "Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

I smiled and said, "Yes." Then, we shared a long kiss. Such a perfect night.

Lucas and I continued to work on the musical as a couple, and it was now show week. It was Tuesday, parent's night. The show was perfect. Not one mistake was made and the kiss was beautiful. I went to talk to my parents and they loved it. Then, they asked me to go get Lucas so we could go celebrate for the wonderful job we did. I nodded and went to find him.

I turned the corner of the hallway and saw Lucas turning down another hallway, so I went to go get him. When I turned around the corner, I saw Lucas and Isabella... kissing. I dropped the flowers that my parents had gotten me and ran away. I don't even think they noticed. I ran to my parents and told them we needed to leave. They asked why, but I said, "I'll explain later."

Then we left. Once we got home, I ran to my room and locked the door. I cried and cried. Then, I got a text from Lucas saying that he was sorry and that he didn't mean it. I cried harder and threw my phone against the wall. Luckily, it missed the wall and hit a pillow instead. I fell asleep crying and my parents didn't even know why.

When my alarm woke me up, I just shut it off and went back to bed. I knew that if I went to school Lucas would try to talk to me. I couldn't do it. When my mom went to get my brother and I up, she didn't get me up. I love my mom. She understands me so much.

I woke up around 10:00 and I had fifteen new text messages. All from Lucas. Except one. It was from Charlotte. She asked why I wasn't in school. She also said that Lucas looked really sad and asked if something happened. I knew I could trust her, so I told her what happened. She texted me back saying, "What?!?!?!?!?!?!" I said yeah and she didn't text back.

Third POV (At School)

Everyone is getting ready for band. Charlottewaits for Lucas in the storage room. Lucas walks in and they're alone. Charlottejust looks at him for a minute. Then, she slaps him as hard as she can. It left a large red mark on his cheek. Then, she said, "Mia is at home crying right now. Do you have any idea what you did to her? She really liked you. I hope you're happy with your decision." Then, she walks away.

Mia's POV (Home)

I spent all day in my room depressed, angry, and crying. My mom came in and we talked about what happened. She tried to comfort me, but nothing helped.

The next day, I went to school. We had a show tonight and I have to go to school in order to perform. They can't do it without me. So, I got up, got dressed, and left.

School was terrible. Everyone had heard what happened and Lucas kept trying to apologize and talk to me. I had to ignore him. If I didn't, I'd cry in front of everyone. The day went on. When the last bell rang, I got in my car and went home. Then, I went to the show, performed like nothing had happened, and went back home. The rest of the week went on like that. Except everyday, I got a little more depressed and everyday I accepted Lucas's apologies more and more.

Finally, it was Sunday morning. The last day of the musical. Today was also the cast party, which is held after the last show, which was a matinee. I was getting ready to leave and I got a message from Charlotte. "Mia, I see how sad you are and it's not getting any better. I think it's time to forgive him. You need him and he needs you." I thought about it and left, not replying.

After getting to the school, I got my hair and makeup done. Then, I had plenty of time to waste, so I sat down on the hallway floor and thought about what Charlottehad said. I don't know how long I was sitting there, looking at the floor, before two shoes interrupted my thoughts. Those shoes were Lucas's , so I didn't look up. I kept my head down, looking at his shoes. Realizing that I wasn't going to look at him, he sat down on his knees. Then, he took my chin in his hand and forced me to look at him. I stared at him with sad eyes and he stared back with the same look. Then, he kissed me. At first, I didn't kiss back, but Charlotte's voice rang in my head. "Forgive him, it's time." Then, I started to kiss back, but I felt tears on my cheek and I realized I was crying. Then, I felt more. He was crying too. Then, he pulled away, smiled, said, "I'm sorry," then, started to walk away. However, I grabbed his hand and when he turned around, I hugged him as hard as I could. The show started and it ended up being the best performance ever! Lucas and I felt closer than ever and I loved it.

After the show, we went to the cast party together. We ate and then, Lucas asked me to dance. Of course I said yes.

And then, we spent the rest of the night just like that. Dancing in each other's arms, celebrating the wonderful musical, and enjoying each other's company. So in the end, I got my prince, just like Ariel in The Little Mermaid.

Sort of.

I really hope you like this!! Inspired by real life events, real life people, The Little Mermaid, and my dreams.