No Such Thing as Love | Teen Ink

No Such Thing as Love

June 7, 2017
By haleyjo313 SILVER, Clarkston, Michigan
haleyjo313 SILVER, Clarkston, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The sunset never has shined so bright as that night. The light blue perfectly blended with the baby pink, never experienced anything like it. The snow was as white as an angel; shimmering in the sunlight. The black car stands still at the top of the cliff, spending hours just gazing at the glowing sky. She glances over to her left at Max; his light chocolate eyes melting into a dark, olive spiral. At that moment it struck her, the heat radiating from her rosy cheeks, her heart beating, getting faster and faster. She started to encounter feelings she’s never felt before. Max smiles; her heart melts, she looks down trying to contain the overflowing contentment, never imagining herself with someone else. Her hand intertwined with Max, Melissa’s heart feels complete. She questions if this is what love feels like, like in the movies. It has to be, right? Whenever she’s around him, she gets butterflies in her chest, her stomach, through her veins; yet he knows how to calmy contain them. The feelings are indescribable. No one has ever made her feel as wanted as Max does. But, maybe this isn't real; maybe they are simply in love with the idea of being in love, their naïve teenage souls taking control of their conscience, keeping them away from reality. Their love was forbidden, unknown to everyone. If anyone discovered their secret love, they’d never be together. However, what Melissa didn’t know was that Max didn’t reciprocate the feelings she felt. The little things gradually stopped, the good morning texts, late night calls, the spontaneous adventures. He was oblivious to the amount of control he had over her, each day kept getting worse. As time passed, he stopped making time for her, making excuses texting her first but she never thought of it. Melissa starts to realize that maybe this isn’t love. Maybe this is all fake. Starting to comprehend that Max never starts the conversations with her. Doesn’t talk to her in person anymore. A day goes by; no response from him. Nothing in person, nothing at all. A week, and another and another. Melissa got nothing. Broken hearted that he never felt as strong about her as Melissa did to him. A years gone by; Melissa’s still lonely. Not a day goes by where she doesn’t think about Max and how happy she was. While Max is around fooling with others… she sits alone.


The author's comments:

It's a short story about an idea of love.