The One For Me | Teen Ink

The One For Me

By SyFlashWolverArrow BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
SyFlashWolverArrow BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

The first time I went to college, I knew I’d find the one for me. The first time I explored, I knew who I was looking for. The first time I saw someone trip, fall , and drop their things, I knew I should help them. The first time I helped them pick up their things, I knew I had met eyes with the one person I was looking for. The first time I met eyes with the one I was looking for, I knew it was the start of the most special thing in my life. The first time I had the guts to ask her out, I knew it would go perfect like a happy-ending fairy tale. The first time I pulled out her seat and offered to take her jacket, I knew I would have to do this again. The first time I looked across that dinner table and saw her gaze into my eyes as she took a drink, I knew she liked me for real. The second time I took her out, she took me to see her family for the first time. The first time I met her parents, I knew they approved. The first time I asked her dad for his blessing, I knew I needed to buy a ring. The first time I went ring shopping, I knew I had found the best ring for her. The first time I asked her to go to dinner with me at our favorite restaurant, I knew she didn’t know it was coming. The first time we took a table on the outside balcony, overlooking the beach, the waiter came over offering coffee like I asked him to. When he offered it, I knew exactly what I wanted to say.
I said, “None for me. It’ll keep me up tonight, and lately I’ve been loving my dreams. And there’s one dream in particular that I hope comes true.”
I took the small, black box from the waiter’s tray, and got down on one knee. When I opened the box, I knew what her reaction was going to be. When I asked the most important question of my life, I knew what her answer was. Yes.

Do you know?
Do you know you’ve got something?
Is it suppose to be a secret?
How can I see them?
Am I not suppose to see them?
Have they always been on your back?
Well, did it hurt?
Did what hurt, you ask?
Did it hurt when you feel so far?
Were you in pain?
Can you be hurt?
Can your heart be broken?
Would you believe me if I said I wouldn’t break your heart?
If I said that your secret is safe?
That I know who you are?
That I know what you are?
That I know where you come from?
Where you fell from so far?
Can I see them because I believe?
Because I believe in what you truly are?
Do you know what I mean?
Did you know I can see them?
Did you know I can see your wings?
Do you still use them down here?
Do you get homesick?
Have you tried to fly back home?
Back to where you’re suppose to be?
Shouldn’t a beautiful angel like you,
Be up in the heavens to watch over the world?
Because that’s what angels are suppose to do.

The first piece was mostly just off the top of my head. I was given a prompt, The first time..., and I decided to go with saying something about the first time I met my true love. I love to write stories like that because they feel so special to me, and are just so much fun to write.

The second piece, I was told to write as much as I could of a story in just questions. I decided to stay on the romance side, and act like I'm asking a girl about her wings, metaphorically, to say that I see her as an angel. This was such a fun one to write, because it was a different style of writing, and it made me think more. Overall, I just really enjoyed writing it.