Set Sail | Teen Ink

Set Sail

August 11, 2016
By m.turco SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
m.turco SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you"
Matthew 7:7


I am a girl lost in a sea of suitors. Joseph, my anchor, holds me down so that I might not drift away. I am floating peacefully and happily in calm waters. I am content resting here with no danger or adventure.

But sometimes a wind tickles my face. Tantalizing me. Daring me to experience its crazy and audacious storms. The fun challenge tempts me. I am a wild girl who wants to feel free and bold and powerful! I yearn to be with a boy who encourages my heart to explore and my undiminishable curiosity to flourish.

And yet, I cherish this silence and steadfastness. I am safe and know that my Joseph will not let me wander astray. My anchor will always hold me close to faith and love.

On the outside, I appear as steady as the mighty oak tree. But inside, my heart is tearing, screaming at me to follow the wind. It tells me to experience what it is like to be reckless and carefree. It tells me to make memories that I will never forget. It demands that I listen to it, instead of being guided by intuition. My peace can no longer be peaceful while my heart so adamantly protests its silence and calm. With every beat, I feel its insistent pull.

Two choices remain: stay ever comfortable in a world unknowing of recklessness, giggles, and adrenaline rushes, or finally explore the world and let my heart feel young and free. One choice promises security, the other screams thrill. I take a breath… and cut the rope to my anchor and let the wind take me.


The author's comments:

For years, I devoted my life to being perfect at school, sports, friendships, work, and, well, everything. But this summer my perspective changed as I started experiencing new things and discovering that I love adventure more than flawlessness.