Lightness or Darkness | Teen Ink

Lightness or Darkness

By kat_33 BRONZE, Nampa, Idaho
kat_33 BRONZE, Nampa, Idaho

"You gotta stop looking up at the sky, or one of these days you'll look back down and see that you floated away too," (John Green, Paper Towns)

"You can't possibly love me for all that I have done," he spoke as if he were certain that no one could ever love him. And it was true; he did believe that no thing could ever love a monster like him. But he was wrong. He didn't know that even the purest of hearts were attracted to the darkness in him.
The darkness was the safest place for the hearts like mine to take refuge in; even though so many dangers hide in the shadows, dangers that we run from only to be found. The monsters that lie under our beds at night waiting to frighten us, the secrets that strangle us in our own thoughts; many different deadly things are in the darkness, yet all are secretly loved. How could the light find haven in the one thing that could terribly damage it?
I smiled because anyone who is capable of love itself deserves to be loved. "People... love things that numb the pain. The pain is always there, for everyone, but numbing it makes it a whole lot better. When I was with Carter, I still felt like I was fighting a battle that I already long lost. Loving you is not a sin, Jeremy. It never was; We just never simply realized that all the pain was suddenly gone."
The light finds haven in the darkness because one can not simply be all light, or all dark. The brightness lets you see what beauty lies in the dark. Without the light we would never see another sunrise; without the dark, we would never see the stars shine so bright.

Why should one be unhappy with someone you should love? Writing this piece was simple because each word came from the heart. This is what I truly believe: finding yourslef in someone who means the world to you.