Death | Teen Ink

Death

By Ava_Scarlett GOLD, Shoreline, Washington
Ava_Scarlett GOLD, Shoreline, Washington

"Love is not always a harsh and deadly sin" -Michelangelo

"Jensen! Oh my god." Jensen lay on the ground, bleeding profusely. The battle had ended and they just won, but Jen had managed to get stabbed by someone from the Hand. Robin knelt down and lifted him, propping his shoulders up on his knee. "Robin..." "You're going to be fine. Calm down. You'll be fine. It's okay." Jensen closed his eyes. "Please don't go to sleep love, stay awake." Jensen winced and took a deep breath. Robin dabbed the corner of his mouth with his sweatshirt, wiping the blood off his cheek. Jensen grasped for Robin's hand, holding it as firmly as he could. "Robin...I love you." "I love you too sweetheart. You'll be okay." "No...Robin, I can't...I...love you..so..much..." "No, nonononononononononononononononononono. Don't leave me. You'll be just fine! Really! Just hold on, please!" He felt Jensen's hand stiffen and release his grip on his own. "No. You're going to be okay. just, just...please don't go." Robin felt a hand on his back, "Robin." Sabrina knelt down and put her arm around him. Robin didn't blink, didn't breath, didn't move, didn't feel. The world paused, dimmed, then completely shattered. He was numb as someone hoisted Jensen onto a cot. Blank as Sabrina held him, wiping away tears he didn't notice. He stared at the place where Jensen had been a few moments ago. He calmly observed the large pool of blood trickle down the grass. "No." Sabrina led Robin back to the campsite, seating him on the edge of his bed. He continued to look into space, a shocked expression on his lips. "Robin, I'll be right back, okay?" He nodded dumbly and let himself fall back onto the bed. He stared at the ceiling until his eyes burned. He closed his eyes and went into a dreamless sleep.
  When he woke up again, Sabrina was there. She was talking softly to Daphne. He didn't attempt to struggle out of the very tight sheets they'd put him in. "Hey, you're up." Robin didn't respond. He can't be gone. "Do you want something to eat?" No response. He was just here. Sabrina frowned and gently urged him to lie back down with her hand. Henry walked in to call Daphne to the aid station. He cast his gaze on Robin, almost able to see his soul tearing itself into fragments. Once Daphne left, he sat down next to him. He was quiet for a moment, patting Robin on the arm. "We'll all miss him. I know he was a good friend of yours." I loved him. "You two were close, but he'll always be with us." I want him back. Henry sighed and left the room, implying that Sabrina should follow suit. She shook her head. Henry tilted his head at her curiously. She stood up and lead her father outside the tent, lowering her voice. "I can't leave him, he's hurting." "Sabrina, he's a grown man, I know you care for him, but you need to care for yourself too. Besides, what's he going to do?" She closed her eyes tightly and bit her lip hard. "I'm not leaving him alone." "Why not? He'll be fine. He's upset now, but there's nothing you can do to help him grieve for his best friend." "If I leave I won't ever see him alive again." "He's upset, but he's faced the deaths of many of his close friends, he'll recover." "No, you don't understand. Jensen was his other half. He's known him for over 4000 years." "I know, but time heals all wounds." "The love of his life was just ripped from him. I don't think that you knew, but they'd been married in ancient Greece, and have been really happy together." "They were together?" "Yes. And he just had the other part of his soul die in his arms." "Oh." He frowned, "okay, maybe you'd better stay here." She turned and went back into the tent, only to catch Robin downing Jensen's pills. She tackled him and grabbed the empty bottle from his hand. He didn't put up a fight and allowed himself to be reseated on the bed. Sabrina sat across from him, looking him in the eye. "Robin, please don't." He lowered his eyes. "I cannot live without him. I can't do it." She held his hand, "yes, you can." "Sabrina, he meant the world to me. I'm just a shell of him, and now he's gone, and I will follow." "No. I know it's hard to lose someone you love, it really is. But I want you to picture Jensen's reaction if he found out that you had killed yourself. Imagine him sitting on the bed, holding you. He'd tell you it would all be okay. He's still here, in you, in all of us. I know how much he loved you. He wouldn't ever want you to hurt yourself. He'd want you to treat yourself the way he treated you. With respect. And love. Don't ever forget that." He's not here to stop me. Robin looked up and gave Sabrina a sad smile. "I know, but it still hurts." "Are you going to be okay in here if I go get something to eat real quick?" He nodded mutely, letting his head hang.
She slept in the chair next to him every night for two weeks. He never left the bed. He refused to eat, or shower, or accept any support that was offered. She had convinced him to drink some water, but that was all. She woke up one morning to him sitting up, holding his knees, rocking back and forth. He was talking to himself quietly. The tone was comforting, but the words were unintelligible. He looked up at her, meeting her eye. He opened his mouth to say something, only to close it again. He turned away from her, wiping his eyes. "H-hey." Sabrina walked over and sat on the edge of his bed. "Hey yourself, how are you?" He squeezed his eyes shut and choked on a scream. She hugged him, holding him in her arms, letting him sob into her sweatshirt. She rubbed his back softly as his shoulders shook, helping him sit up when he starts gagging, holding his head as he heaved the contents of his completely empty stomach. When he was finished, she pulled him upright and kissed his cheek. "I'm going to get you some water, okay? I'll be right back." He shrugged and flopped back down.
  Once she left, he leaned over to the drawer beside him, reaching for the feeling of paper. He pulled out a sheet along with a pen. "Sabrina, thank you for taking care of me. Thank you for being my friend. Thank you for everything. I love you. I'm sorry to leave, and I'm sorry to disappoint you...but I'm just not strong enough. I never was. I need him. I'm sorry. Love Robin." He got up and put the note on the nightstand. He texted Sabrina to bring him some food. Hopefully that'll be enough time. He snuck out of the tent and jogged to the artillery fort. He searched for what he was looking for, grabbed it, and ran towards the river.
Breathing heavy, he sat down on the bank. He ran his fingers through the cold water. He put the gun down beside him, opting instead to untie his shoes. He removed his socks and stuck his feet in the icy river. Jensen would have loved it here. He smiled at the thought of him and Jensen laughing and splashing each other. He leaned back onto his elbows, wiggling his toes. Closing his eyes, he pictured Jensen sits beside him. His smile was so contagious. He smiled as he imagined him leaning over and giving him a quick peck on the lips before splashing him with more water. Their laughter faded with his illusion as he came back to the moment. He picked up the shotgun. Walking to the small overhang on the far side of the bank, he sat down. He remembered how Jensen used to come here when was anxious, or scared, or sad. Jensen. I miss you. He heard the current get stronger as the wind picked up. His hair whipped into his face. If he were here, he would roll his eyes and brush it back. He'd kiss you and tease that you needed a haircut. He closed his eyes and felt the cold metal as he pressed the barrel to his temple. I'm not going to make it here all alone. He took a deep breath. Jensen, I love you. He exhaled. Meet me on the other side. He heard a yelling voice coming from the camp. He squeezed his eyes shut tight. He heard Sabrina calls his name frantically, voice cracking. A flashlight's beam waving around for any trace of him. He c***ed the trigger. He heard her crying on the hill above him. He placed his finger on the trigger. He heard a mixture of panic and relief in the voices approaching him. He opened his eyes in time to see Sabrina running toward him. He smiled sadly at her and pulled the trigger. The shot rang out and echoed painfully in the heavy silence that followed. Sabrina slowly walked back to the bank, her expression read shock. "I found him." Her voice was quiet and monotonous.
"Jensen?" "Robin, I didn't expect to see you so soon." "I'm sorry." "Don't be, you can't go back in time." "What do you mean?" Jensen smiled softly, wrapping his arms around Robin, "I mean, I wanted to watched you live. be happy. Dance. Find someone that made you just as happy. I wanted to see you happy Robin."  "I can't be happy without you." Jensen sighed softly, holding Robin in his arms, rocking him back and forth. He leads him over to sit on the bank where Sabrina was currently curled up on. She was just staring into the distance over the water, not really crying but not really blank either. "She's upset." Jensen nodded. "Why do you seem surprised?"  "I didn't think anyone would miss me. I'm nobody. I'm nothing...If anything I expected people to be relieved." Jensen frowned. "Why would they be relieved?" "Because they wouldn't have to tolerate me anymore." "Oh honey, they didn't tolerate you, they loved you...They'll miss you." Robin laid his head on Jensen's shoulder, nuzzling against him. They looked out over the river silently until Sabrina got up and left abruptly. Jensen turned to look at Robin, finding his hands, and holding them with his own. "It's over. You don't get another shot at life you know." He nodded, leaning in and pressing his forehead against Jensen's, letting their noses touch. "I'd much rather have you." Jen smiled sadly and tilted his head. He placed his lips on Robin's. Robin opened his mouth slightly, allowing his tongue entry. They sat on the beach, holding each other, and kissing each other until the sun's rays began peaking up out of the darkness.
Robin opened his eyes, running his fingers through Jensen's hair. Jensen stretched and readjusted his head on Robin's lap. "Good morning love." "Hey...I didn't think dead people needed sleep." Jensen laughed and sat up. " They don't, but you love sleeping...and so do I." Robin ruffled his hair as he sat up. "Well. What do ghosts do?" Jensen shrugged. "I don't know, I guess it's up to you." "Wanna walk up the bank?" Jensen's lips curved up as he took his hand, swinging it between them. They paced along the strip of wet and sandy grass. After the sun was completely up, Jensen paused. "Do you wanna go visit the camp?" Robin took a deep breath. "Yeah." "Okay, come on." They slowly made their way up to the site. When they got there they could see people waking up, going outside, saying hi to each other. They didn't seem to notice anyone was missing.
They walked to Sabrina's tent. They saw the silhouette of her sitting on her knees. They approached her tent, as neared they heard snoring and a softer voice speaking. They stood right outside the entry, listening to the prayer Sabrina was reciting. Jensen looked over and Robin. "I thought she was an atheist." Robin closed is eyes sadly, "she is." They heard her voice crack and stop. They entered the tent. "Sabrina! Don't cry. I'm right here!" Jensen sat down on her bed, watching Robin figure out that she couldn't see or hear him. "SABRINA!!! I'M RIGHT HERE! DON'T YOU SEE ME?" "Robin. She can't see you. You're dead." "No. But, she's upset!" Jensen got up and wrapped an arm around him, "I know. She misses you...a lot." "B-but I'm right here." Jensen held his head, supporting his violently shaking body. "Shhh, darling. If it's too much we can go back to the river." Robin shook his head. "No. I'm not leaving." "Alright. I'll stay with you."
"Robin, how could you do this to me?" Sabrina was curled into a ball, rocking back and forth on her knees. "I can't believe would just leave..." She silenced herself when Daphne yawned. "Good morning 'Brina." Daphne sat up in bed, frowning when she saw her sister turn away, wiping her eyes. "What's wrong?" Sabrina shook her head. She turned to her little sister, smiling and brushing her hair behind her ear. "Nothing. I had a nightmare is all...Let's go get breakfast." Daphne squinted at her, then shrugged her shoulders. "Okay." "I'll meet you there okay? I'm going to put on a sweatshirt." Daphne walked to the mess tent, stopping dead in her tracks at the entrance.
In the eating hall, there were masses of the camp crying and sitting with expressionless faces. She ran up to Snow, who was comforting Basil. "My god, Snow. What happened?" Snow closed her eyes and let her voice drop to a whisper. "A funeral." "I though Jensen had his along with the other people that dies in that battle." "It's not for Jensen." Daphne looked around, directing her gaze to the small table in the center. She covered her mouth when she saw the picture of him smiling next a rose. She walked over. On the white tablecloth was a picture of him, he was beaming. Next to the picture was his and Jensen's wedding rings. The other side of the table had a vase with roses in it, and a scrapbook on it.
Daphne ran back to Sabrina's tent. She walked in on Sabrina bawling into her sweatshirt. She approached her and put her arm around her. "Hey Daph." She ran her sleeve across her face. "How did it happen?" Sabrina sat up, facing her sister. "Last night, he went down to the overhang, where he and Jensen used to hang out. I went looking for him I guess about an hour after I went to get him water. Anyways, he was just sitting on a rock, talking to himself. I went up to talk to him and when I got closer I saw he had a gun. I was about 40 feet from him when he shot himself." "Why?" "He couldn't handle Jensen not being there." "But he's usually good with grieving. Not to be mean, but you'd think he'd be used to it by now." "Yeah. But he'd never lost someone that close to him before...he never let anyone that close before." "I know they've known each other for a long time, but..." "But nothing, he couldn't cope."

Sabrina closed her eyes and allowed the vivid memories to flash in her mind. She saw them playing on the river. Making inside jokes. Laughing. Smiling. She saw them dancing in that one rainstorm with only a sweater to keep dry. She saw them looking at the stars in the night it wasn't so cloudy. She saw them kiss under the mistletoe in December and Jensen's face turning bright red. She saw them rocking out to hits from the 70's with shared headphones. Them wrestling. Them talking. Them finding comfort in each other. She remembered the time Jensen had a terrible nightmare, and how Robin held him until it was light out. When Robin was sick and Jensen tried to take care of him, but just gave up and laid down with him. The time when she accidentally walked in on them and Robin couldn't get his pants on fast enough. The time they went out for dinner and didn't come back until the next afternoon with messed up hair. The way his face would light up when Jensen entered the room. She shook her head. "Come on, the slideshow starts in a few minutes." Daphne stood up and waited for Sabrina at the door. They made their way back to the meeting hall and found a seat.

One-shot, not to be included in finished novel. Still editing heavily.

Takes place during a war. Fantasy AU.