First Kiss | Teen Ink

First Kiss

January 30, 2015
By yessicamichele BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
yessicamichele BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations." - John Green


My chin rested on the back of my chair as I watched all the bodies in the room sway back and forth on the dance floor. There was a clear open space in the middle of the dance floor where my father in all-black groom tuxedo stood holding on to my mother's waist. My mother wore a long fitted ivory wedding dress and her body furnished the dress perfectly. My parents locked eyes the whole dance and made it seem as they were oblivious to everyone around them. The love they shared at that moment radiated off to every guest in the room and there was no one without a smile on their face.

 

My father had begged my mother for years and years to marry him and being the stuborn women she was, she kept saying no. My mother kept saying she didn't need a wedding that being the happy family we are was good enough for her. I mean what kind of women doesn't want the whole wedding enchilada? But billion and one asking's later, my mother gave in and although the wedding was small, it just made it more intimate.

 

The reception was held in the gym my father owned. Yet my parents made a 360 transformation on the gym for the ceremony. There was beautiful flowers in the center of each table, lights hanging from one corner to the other, and the most imporant of all, it didn't smell like sweat like the place usually did.

 

"Athena, darling! Why aren't you out there dancing with all those young fellas out there?" My grandmother said grabbing my shoulder.

 

How do you explain to your grandma that no guy is interested in me because their attention is on the girls that are gaining a curvy body in my grade and not Athena Graham, the girl with a face full of baby fat and braces? I seriously looked like a chipmunk.

 

"Because Grandma, i'm missing these bad boys." I blunty said pointing to my flat chest.

 

My grandma looked like she was trying extremely hard to hold in her laughter. She backed away from my chair and slowly walked to talk to other guests. But I knew my grandmother way to well, this would not be the end of it.

 

I looked back to the dance floor where everyone was dancing and suddenly something grabbed my foot. I gasped as I looked down, the person who was grabbing my foot was hiding under the table and slowly draggin me down. I crotched down to get under the table and under the table waiting for me was Carter. Carter was one of my really close friends, who just happened to live down my street.

 

Carter smiled as he handed me his flashlight, being the only source of light under the table. I could see his curly brown hair covering the acne that formed on his forehead.

 

"I bet you were scared." Carter said laughing.

 

"What do you want Carter?"

 

"I wanted to tell you that you'll be seeing me a lot now."

 

"I see you every day Carter. So why am I going to see you every minute now?" I asked rising my eyebrows.

 

"Your dad is going to train me starting next week! He said I have potential and he said you were the one who told him, so I wanted to say thank you." He shrugged.

 

Oh, this was about my father. My father is a really known boxing promoter and has a gym for his clients to train downtown. Carter was just one more person that admired my father and I knew how important it was to Carter for my dad to train him, so, I might have begged my dad to give Carter a chance.

 

"Oh, no biggie." I shrugged copying his actions.

 

"Huge biggie, I owe you Addie. I'll have to work really hard so your dad does not give up on me. I'm only 14 but I might even become a boxing legend one day thanks to you!" His whole face lit up when he talked about boxing.

 

We stayed under the table talking about topics such as when Carter gets famous he will take me to New York, where I would write about him in "The New York Times". We laid down facing each other and silence crept over us. Then all of a sudden Carter grabbed my face, a little too harshly I might add, and kissed my lips with the same aggression. I was in complete shock, I just had my first kiss under a dining table at my parent's wedding.

 

"Uhhh-" We both said at the same time.

 

The awkwardness would kill me then and there if I didn't get out from underneath that table, I slid under the table leaving him there. Luckily my parents were cutting the cake and all attention was on them and not on their daughter, whose face was as red as the roses in my mother's bouquet.

 

The rest of the night, I danced with my parents and stayed far away from Carter as possible. I saw carter sit along at the table we were just under. It wasn't as I didn't want to kiss Carter, but my father would never allow his now client kissing his daughter. Yes, I was doing this for Carter. I would help Carter become the legend he wanted to be. Who knew that first kisses would be so complicated?