Like Snow in Florida | Teen Ink

Like Snow in Florida

January 25, 2015
By WillowyWhisper PLATINUM, Heaters, West Virginia
WillowyWhisper PLATINUM, Heaters, West Virginia
24 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. Psalms 37:5


     Of all the people...
     Corey leaned out the window of her car, watching as the red truck pulled in behind her alongside the interstate. She sighed when he got out and walked to her window.
     “Hey.”
      Corey ignored the laughter in his eyes. “My car broke down.”
     He shoved his hands in his pockets, his face amused. “So I see.”
     She waited for a moment, but he made no offer to help her. Finally, she let out a frustrated breath. “Are you going to offer me a ride, or not?”
      This time he let out his laugh. She'd forgotten in just three weeks what a sweet sound it had always been to her...
      “Alright, Corey, I'll take you home,” he said, and she followed him to the red truck.
      He opened the door for her, waited until she climbed in, then went to his side. A few minutes went by in silence, but he did not turn the key. Instead, he turned and looked at her. “You look nice,” he said softly.
     Corey self-consciously smoothed her hair. She'd been sweating all day, her hair was a wreck, and she was wearing an old T-shirt that had been in her drawer for years. “Honestly, Matt,” she said, “sometimes I think you just say what you think I want to hear.”
     “Corey...” He reached out and laid his hand over hers. “Aren't you tired of it being like this?”
     Corey slipped her hand from beneath his. “It's meant to be.”
     “It doesn't have to be.”
     Corey turned her body so she was facing him. “Yes, Matt, it does!” When he only stared at her, she leaned back and sighed. “It's like snow in Florida, Matt. It just isn't meant to be together. No matter which way you look at it, it's always awkward.”
     Matthew studied her—searching her sun-touched face for a hint of emotion. When he saw none, he gripped the wheel with more strength than was needed and turned the key. The engine rumbled to life, and the old red truck sped down the interstate.
      “I'm sorry if I upset you, Corey,” he said, his voice quiet against the roaring of the truck. “I won't bother you about it again.”
     Corey looked over at him. A sense of loss came over her, causing tears to spring to her eyes. “Thank you, Matt,” she whispered. Then she turned to look out the window so her heart could settle in her chest.


<><><><><>


     Twenty minutes later Matthew leaned forward to turn off the radio. They were on a long country road nearly fifteen minutes from Corey's house. “Did you see that?”
     Corey glanced out the open window into the dark. “No, what?”
     A moment passed in silence.
     Then she saw it. Just a little ways up the road, lights were flashing. “What do you suppose that is?” she asked quietly.
     “I don't know.” But when they grew closer, both could see that two cars were parked across the road, and three men were gathered around them, shining their flash lights.
     Matthew's truck came to a stop when he reached them. He rolled down the window, but she could tell that his features were strained. “Is there a problem?” he called out the window.
     Corey's breath caught in her throat. The man approaching the truck had a gun in his hand.
     “Actually, there is a problem,” she heard him say. He opened the door to their truck and held the gun at Matthew. “I'd like you to step out of the vehicle.”
     Matthew glanced at me, confusion playing across his features. When he turned back to the man, however, his face had transformed to a stoney anger. “I'm afraid I can't do that—”
     The gun slammed into his temple, and next thing she knew he was being yanked out of the truck.
     She heard him groaning on the paved road...
      Get up, Matt! Don't you dare leave me alone with these men! Don't you dare...!
     “What about the girl friend?” she heard the man ask.
     There were more voices that she couldn't understand, and then another figure appeared from the darkness and opened her door. He pulled her out to him and held her loosely by the arm. “Matt!” she shrieked. “Matt, wake up!”
     The man lead her around the truck, and she looked down to where Matthew was lying in the road. “Matthew, please wake up...” she whimpered. “Please...”
     She felt a shutter run over her when the man holding her arm spoke, “Is he dead?”


<><><><><>


     She stared down into his lifeless face, unbelievingly. His eyes were so hollow—so very ghastly. Even his skin had a deathly pallor to it. And then the lid of the coffin creaked shut...
     Corey opened her eyes, and found herself sobbing into a blanket. It was all a dream, she told herself, but even so, the fear crept back into her heart like an unstoppable disease. She looked around the small trailer from her position on the couch. There was nobody insight, and there was a strange silence that enveloped the place.
     Corey sat up, trying to take it all in. Who were those men last night—and what had they wanted with Matt? Why was she here?
      The door opened and Matthew stumbled through the door. The side of his head was red from dry blood, and his eyes were weak and frightened as they met with hers. He walked to her and cupped her chin with his hands. “Have they hurt you?” he whispered painfully.
     Two men came in behind him, jerking him away from her.
     “Maybe she'll come in handy after all, Aaron,” said the shortest. Then he turned to Matthew and grabbed the front of his shirt. “Tell us, Mister Hero, or the girl gets hurt.”
     Corey watched the fear closing in on him. “I can't tell you what I don't know!” he whispered, but his voice was so small that not even Corey was convinced.
     “Well then,” Aaron said, walking to stand beside me, “I guess we can have some fun with her until he's ready to give.” He pulled her to her feet, crushing her in a strong embrace. He leaned to kiss her...and though she fought back, his pursuing lips met its destine.
     Matthew lunged forward, knocking both Aaron and Corey to the ground. He landed one punch in the man's face before the other guy was on top of him.
     Corey scrambled back from the fight—huddling against the wall.
     For a while, Matthew held his own. But it wasn't long until they had the advantage, and Matthew was beaten until Corey thought he'd never get up again.


<><><><><>

    
     Corey rushed to his side when the men left. She placed his head in her lap and caressed a finger down his bruised face. “Oh, Matt!” she breathed. “Are you awake?”
     He opened his eyes, very slowly, and stared at her a moment without answering. Finally, he spoke, “Where...are they?”
     Corey's finger moved to the corner of his lip, where she gently wiped at the blood. “I don't know—they just left. But, oh, Matt! What do they want from us?”
     His heart clenched when he saw the tears gathering in her eyes. He'd never seen her cry before...
      “Matt, can you hear me?”
     “Yes, Corey.”
     “Then what do they want from you?”
     He let her question hand in the air before saying, his voice hushed, “There are things I haven't told you, Corey—about myself.”
     Her brow knitted. “Like what?”
     “Help me sit up.”
      She immediately complied, and it wasn't until he was leaning against the wall and facing her, did he look her in the eye and answer. “I'm an undercover detective for the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Corey.” He watched her face change slightly. “I've been on a homicide case for nearly two years—searching for the man who killed Wess Ingalls.”
     Corey gaped at him. “You lied to me,” was the only thing she said.
     “Corey, I—”
     “No,” she cut him off. “You can't deny it. Even when I broke up with you because you were gone away on trips so much, you still didn't tell me.” She paused to take a breath. “All this time you've been searching for a murderer?”
      “Yes,” he told her quietly. “I'm sorry I lied to you, but not even my parents knows about this.”
     Corey waited a moment before speaking, and her voice had grown very frightened, “Are these the men that killed Wess, Matt? Is that why they want you?”
     Matthew nodded slowly. “You see, just yesterday I found the piece of evidence I have been looking for. When the murder happened, there was a camera across the street in the CVS parking lot. The murderer, however, must have realized this afterward, because later that night he came back and stole the camera.” His voice dropped to a low whisper, “I found that camera yesterday, Corey.”
     “Where did you find it?” she whispered back.
     “I'd been suspicious of Aaron from the start. I have reason to think that him and Wess were mixed up in some kind of drug deal, and I'm guessing it went sour for Wess. So naturally, Aaron just got rid of him.”
     Corey leaned closer, listening intently.
     “I've been searching everywhere Aaron could have possibly left the camera, and it turned up in the most unlikely place.”
     “Where, Matt?”
     “In a box of nails in his shed.”
      Corey found that she was trembling as she let her gaze roam across the small trailer. “Have you looked at the camera—the video, I mean?”
     “No, and they know I haven't. I haven't had time.” He grasped her hand—and though his intentions were only to comfort her, she found that her heart started pumping. “We've got to get away from here, Corey. If they destroy that piece of evidence, I'll never be able to prove they killed Wess Ingalls.” 
     “Is it worth our lives, Matt?”
     The look that entered his eyes was so tender Corey could have cried. “My life, perhaps, but not yours. I won't let them hurt you. I promise that!”
     It was that moment that the door opened, and Aaron and his two friends came through the door.
     If I can just keep them side tracked until tonight, he thought, maybe I can get us out of here.
     “Come on, dude. Where is it?” Aaron's boisterous voice cut into his thoughts.
     Matthew said nothing.
    Aaron pulled him to his feet, and curled his fingers around Matthew's neck. “Is the girl going to have to die before you get the picture? Where is the blasted camera?”
     Matthew gulped under the fingers closing around his throat. “Only Wess Ingall's murderer would need that camera—”
     “You calling me a murderer?” Aaron slammed him back against the wall, repeating that same question. “Alright, man. Let's have it. I'm giving you one chance, before I kill the both of you and find the camera myself!”
     Matthew glanced over, searching Corey's face. Hang on, Corey. I've got a plan. Just trust me...
     He leveled his eyes on Aaron once more. “They're in a safe in my apartment. The key is under the doormat.”
     Aaron slowly released him, exchanging timid glances with his buddies. “Dakota, Wayne,” he ordered gruffly. “Go get the safe and bring it back here.” He turned to Matthew and glared at him. “If you're lying, bro, you won't be seeing the sunrise—and neither will that girl.”


<><><><><>


     Matthew waited until Aaron had gone to the bathroom before he pulled the covers away from his face. He walked across the room to where Corey was asleep on the couch. He nudged her knee. “Corey, wake up. Hurry!”
     She sat up quickly, but it took a second before understanding lighted her blue eyes.
     “He's in the bathroom—” Matthew grabbed her elbow— “but we've got to hurry.”
     They started across the room...
     Reached the door...
      Aaron's loud voice echoed in the trailer. “Stop! I'll shoot!”
     Matthew pulled Corey behind him, yelling, “Run, Corey! Run!” He heard her yank the door open—then there was a deafening gunshot that whizzed passed him.
     Matthew lunged forward and tackled Aaron's tall, muscled body.
     Both men went to the ground...
     The gun went off...
     Matthew pulled away when Aaron's scream hit the air. Frantically, he grabbed the lamp on a table and crashed it into Aaron's head.
     The man fell back, the glass splintered into his face. Blood started to trickle down his cheeks, and finally he let his head fall back, unconscious.
     Matthew grabbed his pistol and ran out the door, where Corey was waiting for him in the darkness.


<><><><><>


     “Is he dead? Did you kill him? Matt, answer me!” she shrieked.
     Matthew gripped her hand, running all the harder down the paved road. “No,” he panted. “The gun went off—hit him in the arm. He passed out, but we've got to hurry.”
     Corey remained silent, her eyes constantly searching the foreboding woods that lined the quiet country road. It was nearly ten minutes later when she finally spoke again, “Where are we going?”
     “My truck.”
     Corey tried to read his expression in the darkness. “You're truck? Do you think they left the keys inside?”
     “I don't know, but that doesn't matter.”
     Corey felt her heart beating hard—so that her limbs began to tremble. “The camera's in the truck, isn't it?” she whispered.
     “Yeah, Corey. I was taking it to my office, where I usually do most of my investigating. I have a computer there that would show me the video inside—the video that will reveal who killed Wess Ingalls.”
     He'd just finished telling her this, when they neared the place they'd left the truck. It was gone.
     Matthew ran a hand through his hair, sighing. “They didn't drive it to the trailer, did they?” he asked Corey, who'd been awake at the time.
     Corey had walked to the edge of the road, looking down the steep bank. “Oh, Matt!” she squealed.
     He ran to her side. He swallowed hard at the sight of his red truck turned over on its side.
     “They ran it over the hill,” Corey stated the obvious.
     Matt took her hand. “Come on, Corey. Let's go get that camera.”
     Corey nodded. “Yeah, then we've got a long walk home.”
    

<><><><><>


     Matthew pulled a first aid kit box out from under the seat, and took out a small, black video camera. They started back up the hill, then started back towards town. It was nearly a half an hour later when they heard a car not far behind them.
     Corey stopped on the bridge they were crossing. The sky had turned a gentle purple as morning began to dawn on the land. “Think that's him?”
     The car sped closer—nearing the bridge with unusual speed.
     “Matt, where do we go?” Corey clung to his arm, eyes pleading for answers.
     The car was on the bridge now...
     And there they stood, stuck in the middle. Nowhere to go. Nothing but air the water surrounding them...
     They started to run, but the car shrieked to a stop—the door swung open from behind them.
     Corey looked back. The tall, burly man was running after them. There was blood dripping into his eyes, streaming down his neck. And there was a gun in his hand...
     “Matt! He'll shoot!” she screamed.
     And it was then that the gun went off.
     Corey hit the ground, as the pain exploded through her leg. “Matt—!”
     He reached down and scooped her up into his arms...
     But it was too late.
     Aaron was standing in front of them, holding the pistol and ready to shoot. “Give it to me...” he raved.
     Matthew held Corey tightly against him, froze in his tracks.
     “Where is it?”
     Matthew swallowed. “I already told you. It's in my apartment—”
     “What's that in your hand? Give it here.” Aaron took a step forward.
     Matthew backed up, Corey still in his arms.
     “Come on, man,” he blinked away the blood that was blinding his eyes. “I'll kill you and the girl. I've killed before; I don't mind doing it again.”
     “You killed Wess Ingalls, didn't you?” Matthew held his breath, watching the expressions that came over the other man's face.
     “Yeah, I did,” he finally answered. “Now give me that box.”
     Tentatively, Matthew slid Corey to her feet and held out the first aid box.
     Aaron put the gun in his left hand—same arm that was bullet wounded. With his good hand he reached for the box...
     Matthew lunged forward and grabbed the gun, the box still in his other hand. The two struggled...
Aaron's strong grip on the gun wouldn't loosen...
     Matthew pushed him against the side of the bridge. He held the box out over the water, saying between clenched teeth, “It's right here, Aaron. The camera's right here...”
    Aaron's hands reached out, groping for the box.
    Matthew pushed him forward, over the guard rail...
     Corey's scream sounded in the air as the man toppled through mid-air.
     Matthew gulped when he heard the splash. He started to walk to Corey, but it was at that moment that a police car came roaring down the bridge.
     The next ten minutes was a blur to Matthew. He was told that a fisherman down stream had heard the shot and called the police, and then an ambulance came and Corey was driven away.
     “Sir, we'll take you to a hospital, and when you're ready, you can give us your story.”
     Matthew stared at the police man. “I just killed a man,” he whispered. He looked at the first aid kit in his hands, then down at the quiet river beneath him. He saw the body floating around a bend, out of sight. “I just killed a man...”


<><><><><>

     Two days later...


     Corey snatched up her cell-phone and answered it anxiously. “Hello?” She held her breath.
     “Corey. This is Matt.”
     Relieved, she relaxed in her chair. “Oh, Matt! I'm so glad you called. I was worried sick about you!”
     “About me? I'm fine. How's the leg?”
     Corey quickly filled in the details, ending on how she'd just come home this morning.
     “Oh. I'm glad you're doing good.”
     There was a pause.
     Finally, she heard him sigh in the phone. “Corey, the real reason I called was to tell you...” his voice trailed away for a minute. “I just wanted to let you know that the FBI has assigned me another case.”
     Corey bit her lip. “Already? Gee whiz, Matt. You haven't even had time to rest.”
     “I know, but nobody ever said this job was easy.” He paused again, this time for a long minute. “Corey, I'm leaving in the morning for California. I'll be taking the nine o' clock plane.”
     Corey felt her throat constrict. “California?” she breathed.
     “Yeah. I just wanted to say goodbye, and tell you I'm sorry about everything that's happened.”
     “I guess I'll talk to you later then,” she whispered.
      “Good-bye, Corey.”
      “Bye.”
     She snapped the phone shut, wondering why her heart was hurting so terribly...


<><><><><>


     He tried not think about her—tried not to let himself dwell on the fact that he may never see her again. But every step he took towards that plane caused a different pain to erupt in his chest. When he had taken that last step up those stairs, he heard a voice calling his name. Turning, he looked down from the threshold of the plane. His heart did a leap in his chest when he saw Corey, standing at the bottom, leaning dependently on her crutches.
     “The plane will be leaving in five minutes,” he heard a voice say from inside. “All passengers please get in your seats.”
     Dropping his bag, he descended the steps and stopped awkwardly in front of her. Her hair was pulled back in a pony tail, and her blue eyes were teary.
     “Hello, Corey,” he said quietly.
     She smiled at him. “Hello, Matt.”
     “My plane is leaving,” he whispered.
     Corey just kept smiling. “I heard the funniest thing, Matt. Do you know what it was?”
     “What?” The look in her eyes was killing him...
     “I heard it was snowing in Florida.”
     Matthew stepped back as they pulled the steps away from the plane. He led her off to the side as it headed down the take off lane.
     Slowly, he turned and looked at her for a long minute. “Don't you think that will be awkward?” There was a smile in his eyes.
     “It might be,” she laughed, “if you don't kiss me.”
     Matthew pulled her to the side of the building, out of sight from the public. Then he took her into his arms and willingly complied to her wish.


The author's comments:

Sometimes things are impossible.

And sometimes, we just think they are.

 

She thought she could stop loving him...

Then everything changed.