Yellow

"Tell me something amazing." Carly whispered. Sam wrapped his arms around her waste tighter, letting her head rest on his shoulder. The stars twinkled above them, lighting up the night along with the yellow full moon.
"What can I tell you that's amazing, when you are the only amazing thing I know?" His voice was barely a whisper in the night, barely reaching her ear, but she heard.
"Try. Tell me, what does the moon look like tonight, and the stars?" She asked this in earnest. Her pale blue eyes were open and watery. Unfocused though they were, Sam could see her emotion, her struggle.
"The stars are everywhere. They shine brightly down on us, making sure we are safe. The moon is down here with us tonight, big and yellow and comforting." He gulped back a sob, trying to gain his composure, for Carly.
"Sam, what is yellow?" She tried her hardest to understand, she always had. Her voice had grown a little louder, like she was no longer afraid for a second.
"Yellow is warm, Carly. Yellow is loving and inviting and special." He kissed her cheek. Her blue eyes blinked as a tear slid down her face. He felt his own tears, flowing silently.
"Sam?" She asked. Her voice was at normal volume, wavering, echoing on the rooftop they perched on.
"Yeah?"
"Yellow sounds like you." Her arms tightened around him, her eyes finally closing as she found an inner peace. "You are my moon, Sam. I don't need to see to know that."
Sam patted her head and kissed her cheek again. "And you, Carly, you are my amazing rose."
"Sam?" He held her tight as she spoke.
"Yeah?"
"What does a rose look like?"

haley101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
love this one too!  

DifferentTeen said...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm:
That was so sweet. The line, "I don't need to see to know that" was my moment of realization. I think thats how you planned it too, if I'm correct. Really emotional, and I honestly felt what the character was going through. Which I usually can't get from an article. Wonderful job, don't ever stop writing, for anyone! You have a serious, god given talent.

Rawrzchan said...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 2:33 am:
Magnificent.

SuPeRfLyy! said...
At first I didn't get it, and then I reread it over and over once more, and I think everything falls into place beautifully.

Melinda L. said...
That was so sweet. I loved it. The idea was really good. Keep writing!

gurujufu This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 12, 2009 at 6:52 am:
Great story, just love the idea. At first when I saw it was so short I didn't see it. But when I read it just...wow. Great job, and hopefully you have some more spontaneous ideas; keep writing! :]

xcblue44x said...
Apr. 11, 2009 at 5:37 am:
This is amazing. You can really get somewhere with writing, so keep on writing.

libby said...
Mar. 13, 2009 at 11:22 pm:
i love it :]

ezsmilesannemarie said...
OMG, this is so cool!! I love the ending! :]