Romeo and Juliet: The Diary | Teen Ink

Romeo and Juliet: The Diary

November 26, 2014
By NarvikM BRONZE, Glendale, California
NarvikM BRONZE, Glendale, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Saturday, July
Dear Diary,

Oh ebullient day! Methinks I have found the true love of my life. In comparison, Rosaline is an ordinary gal. I loved Rosaline, but she spurned my love. My dear relative, Benvolio, wished to help me forget Rosaline. Benvolio insisted that we attend the Capulet Masquerade. I agreed to attend with one purpose, to encounter Rosaline once more. Once I saw Juliet I fell in deep love. I did not love before laying eyes on her. She is absolute and no other woman is egal. But there is one immense problem, she is the daughter of my family's enemy but I care not. I love my Juliet even if she is a Capulet. After the party, I climbed the wall around her residence and hid in the brush near her balcony. She was on her balcony looking as beautiful as ever. She spoke of her love for me. I climbed to her and we kissed. We agreed to marry if Friar Lawrence agrees to arrange the ceremony. If he is in favour we shall be married by following nightfall.
Romeo Montague
Sunday, July
Dear Diary,

Oh heavens, today was the finest and worst day of my life. As early as I could leave home, I visited Friar Lawrence. Upon laying eyes on him, he was picking herbs in his garden of sorts. He was delighted to see me in such high spirits. But after I told him that I wished to marry the fair Juliet, he protested. He believes it is too soon to exchange vows of love. Juliet is too fair, she is too perfect and I believe no other woman can change my affections for her. Long story short, he said aye and agreed to unite us in marriage for one purpose, to end the feud between our families. My dear Juliet and I will anon be married. By tonight, I will have the fairest of them all as my wife. After I left the friar I ran into Benvolio and Mercutio. We were consorting in the town center when a woman approached us and asked for me. Mercutio jested at her and she did not take kindly towards his remarks. She said that she was Juliet’s nurse and had to converse with me. She gave me a ring as a token of Juliet’s love. And I informed her of the details of the wedding. Hours later, Juliet and I met at Friar Lawrence’s cell to be wed surreptitiously. She looked as lovely as ever. At last, we were married. It was a rather small wedding with only my dear Juliet, the Friar, and I. Oh I felt so joyful to be her husband. Later, I went to find Mercutio. Tybalt and Mercutio were having an argument. I told Tybalt that I love him and that I don’t wish to fight him. He believed I was mocking him and he suggested that we have a duel. Then Mercutio stepped in and drew his sword. They fought and the hotheaded Tybalt stabbed and killed Mercutio. Oh why did this have to occur? Why does my wedding day have to be ruined? After his death I was enraged. I chased Tybalt and killed him. I have slain Tybalt just as he slew my friend. I have avenged Mercutio. Oh why did this have to occur? Why does my wedding day have to be ruined? I fled to Friar Lawrence, feeling dreadful. What have I done? What will my family take of this? Friar Lawrence tells me that I have been banished from Verona. I don’t know what to do except die. There is no reason for me to live if I cannot be with my Juliet. Later, Juliet’s nurse visited and instructed me to go to Juliet and celebrate our wedding eve. Tonight was an experience that I shall not soon forget. I hope that one day I may be able to come back to Verona and be with the woman that I so dearly love.
Romeo Montague
Monday, July
Dear Diary,

I have awakened this morn’ with Juliet at my side dread in my heart. I have said my goodbyes to Juliet and I promised to see her again. My uncle has allowed me to stay at his residence for as long as needed. Now I must hie to Mantua ere I am captured and killed. I will write again later. The land between Verona and Mantua is entirely wilderness, which hardened my journey. It lasted for nearly four hours. And now I am sitting on my bed thinking of my love. I have left Verona but I know I will see her again. The lord knoweth I will give my life to lay eyes on Juliet for only a mere second. I am miserable here, for everyone I love is either in Verona or in heaven. I will not live like this.
Romeo Montague
Wednesday, July
Dear Diary,

Oh, I miss Juliet with all my hearts content. I abhor being at a distance from Juliet, even for a moment. I am awaiting word about Juliet from Friar Lawrence. I cannot wait for another moment. What if she fell for another man? What if she is in trouble? Many questions run through my mind, I hope my concerns are specious. I will continue writing when I receive word… Balthasar, a servant of mine, journeyed to Mantua to deliver a message. I am afraid my concerns were minuscule when compared with the news I heard. Juliet has died last evening. Oh lamentable day! The destiny that God hath chosen is not favorable for us. If ‘tis true I will join her in heaven. I must hie to an apothecary and purchase a poison that will kill any man. Now I shall go to Verona and perceive my fate.
Romeo Montague
Thursday, July
Dear Diary,

‘Tis true, alas Balthasar spoke not a lie. Juliet lies dead in the Capulet tomb but death has not impaired her beauty. I miss her greatly. Oh how much I want to see her in life. I will anon be with her. I may be called a coward for such doings, but I am not afflicted. Life with the absence of Juliet is inconceivable. With this vial of poison, I will rid myself of my last breath. I shall meet Juliet in the heavens above where we will be with each other for all eternity. Here’s to my love.

Romeo Montague
It is I, Friar Lawrence. Alas I could not save the two star crossed lovers. ‘Tis my blunder. If I had sent word to Romeo in due time, these two and Paris would have been alive. Paris lies dead, Romeo lies dead, and therefore dead lies Juliet and I am all to blame. Oh lamentable day! If I be convicted, let my old life be sacrificed some hour before his time unto the rigor of severest law.
Friar Lawrence


The author's comments:

A diary of the last few days of Romeo and Juliet's lives told in the perspective of Romeo