Dreamland | Teen Ink

Dreamland

November 25, 2014
By lexii_skotnicki BRONZE, Grand Ledge, Michigan
lexii_skotnicki BRONZE, Grand Ledge, Michigan
1 article 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be great is to be misunderstood."


 Gasp!
I sprung out of my bed! My heart was practically on the floor it was beating so fast.  Was that really a dream? No, it couldn’t have been. But, it felt so real. No, that wasn’t real. At least I don’t think it was. Great, now I’m fighting with myself. Gosh, what is seriously wrong with me? I was groggy, hot, and sweaty and I had no clue what just happened. So I walked over to take a shower. Jeeesh! Holy meatballs I looked horrible. My dark copper colored hair was in knots; my turquoise painted nails were all chipped. I’m surprised I didn’t break the mirror. So I hopped in the shower, and got ready for school in 15 minutes tops. That way I could sit in my comfy desk chair and write in my favorite journal about the weird dream I had, right before I had to go to the dungeon.
Dear Journal,
  Okay, I had the weirdest dream last night. I was in a whole other world and my parents weren’t my parents. I had a brother. It was really scary. But, the whole thing was messed up because it actually felt real. I was submerged in another land. I could smell the grass and the trees in the air. When I walked into this house (which clearly wasn’t the one I live in now) it smelt like apples and spice. I’m kind of freaking out because I don’t know what is really going on I don’t think my dream was real and I really have not had any other dreams like that before. I can’t tell mom and dad because they will probably think I’m crazy gosh I have no clue what I am going to do now. I tell mom everything. She won’t believe me. Okay, so I won’t tell her I will just keep it to myself, yes, yes that is what I’m going to do. Now I’m off to school. Thanks journal for the talk.

I seriously said thanks to my journal. This dream is making me go insane. I don’t know how long I can feel like this. Oh crap, I forgot about school hopefully I’m not late. I grabbed my book bag and zoomed for the door, and then I hopped in the car, off to school or should I say the dungeon. School wasn’t exactly my happy place.
Once I got to school Max was there. He would always cheer me up.
“Hey Lillie!” Max said while giving me one of his rib crushing hugs.
“Hey Max” I said with one of my reassuring smiles, just so he doesn’t ask me what’s wrong because that was something I wasn’t willing to explain at 6 a.m. in the morning.
“Sooooooo…….. How did you sleep?” Max grinned at me which he knows was oh so annoying this early in the morning.
“Um, fine….. How did you sleep?” Why was he asking so many questions? Max was defiantly being weirder than normal and for Max to be weird was just weird. But, I wasn’t about to share my crazy real dream.
Max smirked saying “I slept great, Thanks for asking Lill”
I shot him a look of irritation. He knew at that moment that he should shut his mouth, because I was having a horrible and confusing morning. We have been best friends for seven years. So he knows all of my looks and how to respond to them down to a science. Our moms were best friends so I guess the same just happened with us. I’m really surprised about it all because Max was always the gorgeous jock all of the girls wanted to date and me, well I’m just me I’ve always kept my circle to Max and my new friend Jess. It’s really hard trusting people and I guess as Max puts it, I’m stubborn. Which I don’t disagree with but, I don’t think I’m as extreme as he puts it.
I scurried to my class, hoping I wouldn’t have to talk to anyone else. Max following close behind because we had Calculus first period.
Ahhhhhhhhh, I sighed of relief once I sank into my seat. The intense Math class would surely put my mind into another mindset.
________________________________________
Ring! Ring! Ring!
Oh, thank you! That sound couldn’t have come any faster. The sound of the school bell. So heavenly. I rushed to my locker and waited for Max. We drove to my house and I felt something weird in my stomach like something was wrong. But, I couldn’t put my finger on it. I pulled the car into the driveway, I guess Max could tell that something was wrong because he asked.
“Lill is there something wrong?” he reached over and locked my door; I lost all hope of escaping the question.
“No, I’m totally fine Max just a hard day at school.”
He shot me the look, he knew I was lying.
“Okay, fine I have that weird feeling in my stomach----“
“You have a crush??.. On who??”  He smiled bigger than he had all day.
“No, Max. Seriously? The other weird feeling when something wrong is about to happen.”
“Oh, what could go wrong you’re home?”
“I honestly don’t know Max” I replied unlocking my door and stepping out.
“Well, I’ll call you later when I can.”
“Sure Max.” I replied, knowing that he will never call because he will be on the phone with his girlfriend. I didn’t really care though. Max was boring to talk to on the phone.
I walked into my house and well sure enough something was wrong. My parents were sitting at the kitchen table ready to talk. I started to feel major anxiety, so pulled out the squeaking chair and sat down before I passed out.
“Hi, honey we have something to tell you” My mom gave me her, you might not like what I’m about to say, smile.
My dad continued and said “Well, this is harder than I thought.” “Okay, well Lillie, we aren’t your real parents.”
“WHAT?!?!” I yelled at the top of my lungs, is it April fool’s? Is this some kind of joke? What in the world was going on?
“Honey, I know this is very hard to take in right now.” My mom or fake mom I should say grabbed my arm, only for me to snatch it away. So she continued.
“We are your Aunt and Uncle and since you had one of your first dreams last night, we thought we should let you know before you found out too late.”
I shot back with anger and disappointment. “What do you mean ‘first dream’?”
“Well, darling we are what we call dreamers. When we dream we go to a place called dreamland when we sleep.”
“What, What?”
“I know it’s a lot and it’s new, maybe you should go to sleep and we will talk more about it in the morning.”
I got up and practically ran to my room; tears were streaming down my face. I was trying to keep it together and not ugly cry but after the news I had just endured ugly crying was all I did. Then I hear, Ring, Ring, Ring. Ugh it was Max, out of all the days he actually decides to call. I picked up the phone. “I can’t talk right now Max.” I said in between sobs and hung up the phone. I was just fed up with everyone! Eventually I just fell in to a deep  slumber.
Whoa! Where am I? I was in a different house. In a different bed. Just like the one in my dream holy moly. What is really going on?!!?
“Hi Darling” This lady opened the door to what I’m assuming what was my room.
“What is going on?” I replied in quite the panic.
“No, it’s okay, don’t be scared. I’m your real mother.”
Her words felt so reassuring. They comforted me. She continued on to say more.
“My sister and her husband have been taking great care of you I see. Man, you are so beautiful.”
“Thank you but, Why have they taken care of me?”
“Well…..” She started and sat at the edge of my bed. “Roger, your dad and I couldn’t be together if I wasn’t here in dreamland with him. (She sighed)It all started back in high school your dad and I were best friends for years and I guess something changed one day, we both had this dream and our relationship changed, we were no longer friends, we were destined to be together. But, along came your grandmother. She didn’t like Roger, and said if I wanted to be with a boy that barbarous then it would only be in our dreams. So we took her up on it and here we are. So after I had you. I wanted you to actually live a human life so I sent you to live with my sister. Oh, how that killed me. I would look at your dreams at night to see if you were alright. I couldn’t deal for the first five years. I actually had stomach pains. Then once you get to the mature dreaming age, 17. I was so happy because I was able to tell you everything.”
“Wow.” I was fascinated by it all. I was surprised at how well I was taking it all. So I decided to ask another question that my mind still had. “So I am a dreamer?”
“Yes, darling you are, you are one of us.”
“That is so cool!” I just had to geek out, the whole thing was kind of amazing. I had one more question left.
“Wait, so will I have a soul mate just like you and dad?” Listen to me? I guess she really was my mother. I felt so safe and comfortable.
“Yes, you will and you will know because he will be in your dream.” “Now, get yourself ready it’s time to explore today.”
“Explore?”
“Yes, you have your own car so I’m sending you to do whatever you may please. Well within reason. This is only your second dream, so I will let you explore.” She smiled stood up and walked out of the room, shutting the door behind her.
I sprang out of my bed and got ready and dressed just like any normal day, not knowing what today might bring. I walked downstairs and met my dad. The apples and spice aroma filled the air, in a weird way making me feel at home.  All of it was Crazy! I was just glad to get away and process my thoughts. My mother gave me the keys to my car (SO COOL). As I was walking to my car I noticed something next door. Or I should say more like someone. I peeked around the corner fence and I couldn’t believe what I saw. My body went into shock. I couldn’t move. I was stuck. I kept blinking. This isn’t real, this isn’t real. It was Max.

My eyes snapped open. I was awake.


The author's comments:

Here is a little short story that I wrote. I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to leave comments and such. Much appreciated! Thank you.