The Library | Teen Ink

The Library

By theNinjaxD SILVER, Jacksonville, Georgia
theNinjaxD SILVER, Jacksonville, Georgia

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered."
-Tom Stoppard

She pulled her scarf from around her neck and laid it on the back of her chair. She sat in the late afternoon sun in her usual spot writing in the simple spiral bound that she carried with her everywhere. Someone cleared their throat right above her. She scrambled to close her notebook before who ever it was could get a glimpse.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to frighten you," he said, looking just as shaken as she felt. Looking up at him, she stammered for a moment as he continued, "Sorry, again. Um, I was just going to ask when you'll be through with that," he motioned to the book she had balanced on the arm of the chair she was sitting in, "because I had, uh, wanted to check it out sometime, being that it's summer and I won't really have anything better to do." He paused for a moment, embarrassment creeping up the sides of his neck, then he stuck out his hand, trying to recover the conversation. "My name's Hunter, by the way."

"Emma," she breathed, finding words at last.

"Well it's nice to meet you, Emma," he said as they shook hands.

She nodded, muttering, "Nice meeting you, too."

He started to turn away, then turned back around pointing to the book and saying, "So when will you be finished with that?"

"Oh I won't be long; maybe another week at the most." He raised his eyebrows at her.

"Really?" She nodded. "Wow," he said in awe, " you read fast." She blushed a little, shrugging her shoulders.

"Yeah, I guess so." He nodded in agreement, turning to go.

"So, I guess I'll see you around?" he asked hopefully.

"Yeah. Sure," Emma replied.

Hunter beamed and walked away, waving goodbye as he pushed open the library doors and stepped out into the chilly October wind.