My Knight of Night | Teen Ink

My Knight of Night

February 8, 2014
By Kaity-Kat BRONZE, Winfield, Missouri
Kaity-Kat BRONZE, Winfield, Missouri
3 articles 9 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stand up for what you believe in. Even if it means standing alone


I ran. That was all I could do after what had happen. I ran until I could no longer here the hallow calls, I ran until I could no longer breathe. Tears stung my eyes and blinded me, but I paid no mind. My body was numb, my heart ripped to shreds and my soul broken. No human should be forced to feel what I did, but they do. But, why was I running? I had gone to meet my boyfriend, Alec, for our six month anniversary at our favorite restaurant. Yet, as I drive up to park, I spy him outside on a bench, making out with my best friend. My body went numb then as I stared and couldn’t turn away.

Alec looked up and noticed me, but his face held no shame or guilt at all. It was smug. Like he wanted to get caught. Instead of driving away, I got out of my car, walked up to them, slapped both and ran away. That’s how I ended up at the park, curled under the slide, listening to the crickets. No one was around to hear the whimpering still coming out of my mouth. I was alone.

“Hey, honey, I don’t think that is the best place to hide. I can give you a few better places.” a voice, obviously male, called out to me, startling me. I look around, and almost jump when I see a boy, about my age, sitting next to me texting.

“Why do you care?” I snapped, but with no real heat behind it. I was drained, physically and emotionally, and didn’t feel the need to fight. He looked over me, his eyes glowing thanks to his phone light.

“I don’t enjoy seeing pretty girls sitting under a slide crying so,” he started, flipping his hair out of his face,” I was wondering if you wanted to talk about it.” I debated in silence, wondering if I should unleash my emotions on him or save it for at home. My mouth decided for me.

“I just caught my boyfriend making out with my best friend at our favorite restaurant, on our six month anniversary.” I mumbled, as an ache slashed across my heart in a bitter remembrance. I could feel the tears starting to pour over again, and turned to face the staring of the slide. I heard the gravel shift as the boy scooted closer.

“Well, then he sucks. Guys like him give every other guy out there a bad rep. You don’t deserve that. No one does.” He said simply, but I took them as words of comfort. I didn’t know who he was or how he found me, but I was grateful. I laid my head on his shoulder since my neck was giving out with the exhaustion.

“What’s your name, hun?” he asked, bringing me out of my half sleep.

“Trix. My full name is Bellatrix, as in from Harry Potter. My parents were big nerds of Harry Potter when they were younger. What’s yours?” I asked, blushing slightly for my embarrassing name.

“Mine is Blasie, but different spelling.” He stated simply. Blaise. The name fit him, even though I barely knew him. Heck, I just knew his name.

“So, Blaise, why are you out here, in the park, at eight o’clock at night on a Saturday?” I asked, trying to figure out a little about my rescuer of despair.

“Oh, I live a block away, so I visit here often, especially at night. No drama, no fights, just the crickets and me. Until today, when I come across a crying damsel in distress.” I could hear the smirk in his voice, I just could. I thwacked on the arm, but not too hard.

“Ouch. I believe I have offended the fair maiden. How shall I make it up to her?” he mocked, and in old Shakespearean, too. I giggled, even though, after the events of the night, I shouldn’t be.

“I don’t know. How about be my new best friend?” I asked, hoping he would as I need a new one.

“Hmm. I think we can work that out.” He answered and I smiled as I sat up. I looked over at him, and could see the same goofy grin on his face. I stuck my hand out, waiting. He looked at it then gripped mine. That night, I may have lost my boyfriend, I may have lost my best friend, but I made a new one. And he was better than both.


It was weeks after that night did I begin to fall for Blaise, hard. He went to my school, but until now, I never saw or noticed him. We were inseprateble at school having every class together and at lunch. I was a goth outcast already, and never did care what others thought. Now, I wasn’t a loner. I have Blaise. But, the more we hung out, the more I fell for him. From his natural black that always hid one silver eyes that always held laughter, to his laugh that was contagious whenever he would laugh.

Yet, when he was around his group of friends that I met only a handful of times, he seemed to be on edge. And he never wanted me around them long when they were around. I put it off as the knight in shining armor thing. But, even I got an odd thing feeling near his friends, especially Snake. Blaise always tried especially hard to keep him away from me, but I was thankful. Out of the six of them, Snake creeped me out the most.

We were at lunch one day, joking and taunting the jocks near us. Then, Alec, the one guy who I hated more than anything, along with the hoe he dated, Kassie, choose to walk by. Blaise looked aggravated, and I was plain annoyed.

“Well, well, well, isn’t it the misfit couple?” Alec sneered at me, and I glared. Kassie laughed and man, did I want to tear her head off. That sound could kill dolphins.

“Well, if it isn’t the hoe and playboy? What’s the matter? Got caught in the janitors closest again?” I taunted right back, crossing my arms. Blaise smirked along with me, sliding closer to the firing line.

“You wish? You probably do, don’t you Trix. I mean, you did find me irresistible before. Wanna have go like old times?” Alec snarled, and I gritted my teeth, as Kassie laughed even though he just said he cheat on her.

“Why don’t you two go before I hit you Alec. Oh, wait. I shouldn’t hit little girls.” I jibed, waving him off as if he was nothing. I knew I would hit a nerve as he took pride with his masculinity.

“You little!” He snapped loudly, grabbing my wrist and squeezing. I yelped in pain, trying to pull his arm off. I felt him let go, and looked up to see Blaise standing over him, fist curled and a disgusted look on his face. He was standing in front of me, as if waiting for Alec to move again.

Kassie pulled Alec away, probably not wanting to see her boyfriend get pummeled by a goth by twice as tall as him. Blaise helped me, and I rubbed my wrist, which was a brilliant red.


“Thanks, babe. I owe you.” I thanked, setting my wrist down and picking up my sandwich.

“It was no problem, hun. You can pay me back by going out with e to the park tonight.” He asked shyly, and I just smiled. I got up and gave him a peck on the cheek. He looked up with a blush dusting his cheeks.

“Wouldn’t miss it, lovely.” I whispered, before sitting back down. He smiled widely and from there, we finished our lunch quietly, joking still and just enjoying each other’s company. The bell rang, signaling our end of the momentary freedom. But, I didn’t care at all. I had a date with Blaise, and that’s all I could have wanted this week.



It was after school, and I was in town without Blaise for once. He had to go to his final jazz band practice before their big concert next weekend. I didn’t mind and enjoyed the time to walk through the small town I lived in. What I didn’t mind was being suddenly yanked into an alley by someone. I felled to the ground hard, and was surrounded by shoes.

“Alright, freaks, let me up.” I hissed, sitting up. I was expecting like, middle schoolers. No, what I got was Blaises group of friends, and none seem too happy. I stayed on the ground, even though my instinct’s told me to run as fast as I could.

“If it isn’t Blaise’s Fuego. I thought he would have learned by now.” One of them to my right, Tristan, I think his name was, spat. I wondered what they were talking about. But, I knew it was about me. Blaise called me his Fuego on more than one occasion and I knew it meant fire in Spanish.
“Well, then. How about we give him a lesson about defying us again? Can we, boss?” Another one, Max this time, asked, almost excitedly. I tense up as I heard Snake spoke.
“I believe so, boys. I mean, this is the third time he has broken our rules. But, now, be gentle. After all, she is a girl.” I could hear the sneer even if I couldn’t see it. Then, pain. I felt feet and fists hitting me in rapid motion. I couldn’t block all five, and I was slowly beginning to black out. Then, the voice broke through. My Knight of Nights voice, my angel’s voice, brought me out of the darkness.
“Get away from her.” Blaise growled, and I could hear him walking forward quickly. I saw his shadow glide over me, and I had a feeling he was in front of me, guarding me. Just like a knight.
“Blaise, how nice of you to join us. Maybe now you can explain why you didn’t follow the rules again.” Snake hissed, much like the reptile he was named after.
“I’m tired of the bull crap, Snake. You hurt everyone I care about, because I don’t want to follow your bloody rule. Now, leave her out of this and go, before I fight you.” Blasie snapped, and I could imagine him tensing up for a fight.


“Is that a challenge? Are you challenging the leader, Blaise?” A third voice, Andrew, asked with curiosity. I was confused about this all, and the pain from my beating helped little.
“Maybe I am. I think this group needs a new leader.” Blaise stated curtly.
“So be it. When and where, little brother. And we shall settle this.” Snake said, with almost admiration in is voice, but I couldn’t tell with all the sarcastic around it. Wait, little brother? THEY WERE BROTHERS?
“Now. I want to end this once and for all.” Blaise snarled again, and then I could hear a thud. I opened my eyes, to see Blaise and Snake wrestling all over the grounds, throwing punches and kicks. I tried to keep watching, hoping that my almost boyfriend would win. But, with my blasted luck, Snake knocked one of his cronies into me, and bam, I fell to the world on darkness.
When I awoke, with a massive headache, I noticed I was in an unfamiliar room. I sat up suddenly, only to be pushed back down as a wave of vertigo hit me. I looked up to see Blaise sitting next to me, but now sporting a split lips and bruised cheeks.
“What happened?” I asked raspy, and I was handed a glass of water. Blaise looked out the window, as did I. It was dark and I could clearly see the stars twinkling against the dark sky.
“You were jumped by Snake and his cronies. Well, my cronies now. You were attacked, and I came and challenged him.” He said, but I knew he was hiding something.
“What do you mean cronies? Challenged? And why didn’t you tell me you two were brothers? And what was the whole thing about?” I asked, my question coming out all at once. Blaise chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of his head in a sheepish motion.
“I lived in Snakes shadow for years. I didn’t want you to know in fear you go after him. As for the whole ordeal. Snake created a group, a chivalry group. Like a gang but for the good. The group was knights, keeping the misfits of our school from being picked on. I was forced to join in eighth grade, when Snake was a sophomore. It wasn’t so bad, but then Snake started making rules and twisting them around. Like, his word was law. And one I couldn’t follow was you couldn’t date a girl he hadn’t. Meaning, if he found a guy dating a girl Snake didn’t know or hadn’t dated, he get the guy beaten up and take the girl. Soon, no one dated anymore, but I continued to defy that rule. Usually the girl would just ignore me from then on. But, I didn’t think he would beat you up. That was the final straw. You’re my fuego, my fire. No one hurts my fire. So, I challenged him as leader. I won and now Snake takes order from me. But, the group is so disorientated and broken; I have a lot to fix. But, you’re okay, and that’s all that matters to me.” He said, with a warm, but sad smile. He ran his fingertips over my cheek and I could feel the burn of a blush.
“That’s why you were so nice to me when we met weeks ago.” I said. He laughed, which sounded shaky. Like he was waiting for another answer.
“Yes. I am a naturally nice guy, but I get defensive and protective when an idiot guy hurts a girl. That’s why I joined Snake, because I wanted to influence guys to be respectful to girls. Also, because you were a pretty girl who looked like she could use a friend.” He smiled, rubbing his hand over my arm, which promptly broke out in goose bumps.
“So, you really are my knight of night. My Knight in shining armor made of stars and darkness.” I joked half-heartedly. He blushed as well as he laughed. I smiled, and curled up into his side as much as I could.
“You are my fuego, Trix. You will be forever and always.” He whispered as he laid down next to me, bringing me to his chest.
“And you’re my dark night, as long as the night forever remains dark every night.” I whispered back. I fell to sleep, listening to my boyfriend hum. I had my fairy tale ending, even if it was a little twisted.


The author's comments:
Yet again, a piece I did for Creative Original. I was in a phase for love stories and this came to mine. A modern time knight.