Love and War | Teen Ink

Love and War

January 7, 2014
By GabriellaGrace SILVER, Lithonia, Georgia
GabriellaGrace SILVER, Lithonia, Georgia
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Vulnerability isn't a requirement. It's simply a gift that is given by those who have the courage to trust."


“Hey babe!” Tyrone yelled halfway across the cafeteria.

Everyone turned around to see who was yelling from the lunch line. Everyone except me.

“Babe! Babe!”

I twirled my hair in between my fingers and took a big bite of my hickory smoked sub sandwich. I always did this to him. I’m really good at acting like he isn’t talking to me and then making him feel bad about it. Its actually kind of fun.

“Gabrielle Isabella Grace, I know you hear me.!!! I got a big mouth and everybody in this cafeteria know that.”

All eyes were on me. I guess I couldn’t ignore him anymore. I stood up and flipped my hair. I turned around to face him in the lunch line. I rolled my eyes and I know he saw it.

“What boy? Don't be calling my name like you my daddy.”

“My bad babe. I was just trying to make sure all these ugly freshmen know that you belong to me so they can take their eyes off you.”

“I don’t need you to tell everybody that. I can do it myself. Shut up and quit yelling like an idiot.”

He didn't say anything after that. He looked embarrassed and I know he felt it too. I get him every time. I sat down and waited for him to walk over to my table and sit next to me. As usual, he finally made it to the table and sat down. He didn’t start eating and I looked at him.

“Why aren't you eating?”

“I’m sorry babe. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew how special you are to me.”

“Whatever. If you want to show everyone how special I am to you, then come over and kiss me right in front of everyone. Yelling is ghetto.”

“Okay. I'm sorry.”

I grabbed his shirt and pulled him towards me.

“Stand up and kiss me right now”

Tyrone looked a little scared but he stood up and grabbed my hand and I stood up in front of him. He kissed me so softly and everyone started to stare. I kissed him back slowly and then pushed him off of me.

“What’s wrong?”

“I was just kidding babe. I love you. All is forgiven.”

He smiled and exhaled. He stroked my hair and then suddenly he looked really upset. He pulled me tight. “Don’t you ever mess with me like that again.”

He kissed me over and over and for a minute I felt my knees get weak. I pushed him back for a second.

“I won’t”

The lunch bell rang and it was time for me to head to Math. I hated this class because it was the only class I had without Tyrone. He was in all my other classes and he generally kept me awake during my boring Spanish classes. He had AP Math with Mr. Brown next door. At least I have his jacket to keep me warm while I attempt to sleep since Mr. Doverman is boring the rest of the class to tears.

I put my head down and tried to sleep when I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I pulled it out and saw that it was a text from Tyrone.

Tyrone: Babe. My mom just txt me and said dat she gonna b home L8 2nite. Wanna come ova and study 4 the Spanish final 2gether? Mayb we culd watch a movie or sumthin after dat. We have HBO now. I got all da movies u want to c! lol

Me: That sounds pretty cool. What movie are we going to watch? Could you help me study for math instead though? My final is Friday and you know how bad I am at math.

Tyrone: Yeah. We culd study math instead. Meet me after skool at my car. We can pick up sumthin 2 eat first. I’m feelin sum chicken wings. Dat cool 4 u?

Me: Yeah. That will work. Are you treating me or am I fending for myself tonight?

Tyrone: Nah. I got u 2nite. My mom gave me sum $$ yesterday 4 cutting the grass. U can supasize ur order 2nite! On me!

Me: Alright. See you after school love. ?

Tyrone: Cool. Bye babe. C u afta skool!

Math dragged on and finally the bell rang. I walked quickly to my locker to get my stuff. I knew Ashley would be at my locker soon but I tried to hurry and pack my stuff. I couldn’t remember what homework I had to do so I just grabbed everything.

'Math, Science, Spanish, AP Lang, Physics, Creative Writing. I think that’s everything.'

I heard Ashley talking down the hall and I knew she was going to tell me her whole life story- as usual- if she saw me at my locker. I slammed my locker shut and ran around the corner and out the door to Tyrone's car.

‘Maybe I should text Ashley and tell her I’ll call her tonight. Nah. I’ll just call her when I get home. Oh. Gotta call mom. Argh! What do I say? Studying for Math at the library. No she won’t believe that. I could say I'm at the mall with Tyrone. I wouldn’t necessarily be lying then. I would be with him just not at the mall. That’ll work.’


Me: Hey Mom. I'm gonna be home a little late. I'm going to the mall with Tyrone. We are going to grab something to eat first and then study for Math in the food court. Is that okay with you?

Mom: Yeah, that’s fine. What time are you going to be home?

Me: Uhm. Somewhere around 5 or 6pm. Too late?

Mom: Sounds like a plan. I’ll give you until 7:00pm. I know how bad you are at Math. That final is tomorrow and you need all the help you can get. Lol. Call me if you need anything or if something goes wrong. Keep your phone on you too. I’ll check in from time to time to make sure y’all are alright. Tell Tyrone I said he better drive safely especially with you in the car. And make sure y’all put on your seatbelts please. No texting and driving either! Understand?

Me: Lol Yes Mom. I’ll tell him. Thank You. See you at 7:00pm.

Mom: Alright. Bye Baby!

Tyrone was walking to the car.

“You check with your moms first? We good for tonight?”

“Yeah. She said I have to be home by 7, but I can push it until 7:30. I can tell her we ran into traffic or something on the way back. Oh and I told her we were going to be at the mall studying. Didn’t want her to freak because I'm at your house. You know she would’ve had a heart attack if she knew I was at your house and your mom wasn’t home.”

“Yeah I know. Alright lets go love. Chicken wings are calling my name!”

We finally got to the ATL Wing House and shared a ten piece hot wings. After we ate, we left and went to Tyrone's house.


“Babe! Quit playing! I really have to study. C'mon you're suppose to be helping me. I have to pass this final tomorrow or my mom is going to kill me. You know how she is about my grades.”

“Yeah. I know she crazy bout ya work and stuff. You gonna pass. I know my baby smart.”

He kissed me lightly on the forehead. There was an awkward silence. We stared at each other and I had to break my gaze. I didn’t want to get distracted.

“Okay. So Mr. Doverman said that the study guide will be essential to passing the final. I dont understand problem number 17. It says find the trigonometric value of 2x^2(y-67)cos(752)-pi/x+259/(y-90). I have no idea how to do this at all. Do you understand this? Have you guys gone over this unit yet? Oh and do you have the study guide for your--?

Tyrone grabbed my face and pressed his lips against mine. At first I fought the urge to kiss him back but eventually I did. I knew I needed to study but I loved him more than anything. He stood me up and walked me to couch and laid me down. He took his shirt off and layed on top of me.

“Babe. I love you more than anything in the world. Well other than my momma. LOL…You are my forever.”

He started kissing me again. Slowly he started to unbutton my shirt.

“Babe, Babe. I can't.”

I showed him my promise ring.

“If you love me enough, you can wait Tyrone.”

“I know I know about the promise but I just don’t understand. I love you and you love me. What’s the big deal? I’m not gonna be with anyone else other than you.”

“Don’t make me choose between you and my promise to God and myself. What happens if we have sex and I get pregnant? Are you still going to love me then? You know my promise and I’m not breaking it for anyone. Not even you. I love you very much and I know how much you love me. But I need you to understand that I will NOT have sex with you or anyone else until I am married. So forget it.”

He started to kiss me again. I really wanted to break my promise deep down just for him but I knew I would be hurt afterwards. I had been keeping it for 2 years and it took lots of hard work and discipline.

“I need to go to the bathroom.”

He stood up and helped me get up off the sofa. I buttoned my shirt as he put his back on. I just needed a moment to clear my head and stay focused. I got to the bathroom and washed my face. I got a towel from the closet and started drying my face when I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I finished drying my face and I took my phone out. It was a text from Ashley.




Ashley: Hey girl! I didn’t see you after school. Where are you?


Me: At Tyrone's house in the bathroom. What’s up?


Ashley: His house? Why are you in his bathroom?

Me: Long story short, we were studying for Math and then we wound up on the sofa making out. He wanted to have sex as usual but I said no. I really want to. Ugh!!! If he can’t handle my commitment, I might have to let him go.

Ashley: Girl… you already know what I would do. Just do it already. That commitment is like 2 years old. Once you do it the first time, you will feel bad but after that then you will be alright.

Me: Really???? I'm trying to not break my promise. I'm not breaking it. Why can’t anyone understand that?

Ashley: He’s gonna get tired of you and your promises after a while. If you won’t have sex with him he will eventually find someone else who will. Just saying. I'm not saying I would steal your boo but if y’all broke up, he could definitely be a friend with benefits.

Me: You are such a terrible friend.

Ashley: Nah… You love me. I think you should do it and get it over with. You can always start your promise over again. The world won’t end if you break it. Live a little. Jeez!

Me: Whatever… Thanks for being no help at all. Bye

‘I can’t believe Ashley right now. Why can’t people just understand how serious this is to me?’

I heard a knock on the door.

“Yeah?”

“Babe. Can I come in?”

“No.”

Tyrone opened the door anyway.

“I just said no!”

“Yeah, I know but it’s my house and my bathroom and you’re my girl so oh well.”

“I'm not in the mood for your games. What do you want?”

“I just wanted to say I'm sorry for pressuring you. I just love you so much and sometimes I can’t suppress my feelings for you.”

My phone starting ringing. I looked down and saw it was my mom.

“Hold on. Mom is calling me.”

I slid my finger across the screen carefully in a zig zag pattern to make sure I didn’t cut my finger on the cracked glass.

“Yes ma’am”

“Gabby, where are you?”

“At the mall Mom. I told you I was studying with Tyrone for Math.”

“Well, I had to stop to the mall to get some new work shoes and I checked the food court to make sure you were okay and y’all aren’t there.”

I put the phone down and whispered to Tyrone. He was staring at me intently.

“Babe. Mom is looking for us at the mall.”

“Damn! Really. She should really work for the FBI instead of McDonalds. She always sniffing people out.!”

I picked up the phone again and tried to think of something to say.

“Mom?”

“You better tell me something! Where are you?”

“Mom calm down. We just left from the food court like 5 minutes ago. We are on the way to get some ice cream before he drops me off at the house.”

I heard her take a deep breath. She bought the story.

“Oh okay. Well text me next time. I was worried. I’ll see you at home in about 15 minutes.”

“Okay mom. I’ll be there. Love you. Bye!”

“Bye”

‘Whew. Almost got caught.’

“Tyrone we gotta go. My mom is on the way home.”

“Ugh. Okay. Let’s go. I’ll pack up your book bag and go ahead and start the car.”

“Thanks. I’ll be out to the car in a minute.”

My mom had no idea how she just saved the day. I really didn’t want to have another conversation with Tyrone. I put my shoes on and turned out the lights in the bathroom. After about five minutes of silence on the way to my house, Tyrone decided to talk.

“Babe. I don’t know if we are gonna work.”

I sat up and looked at him in amazement.

‘Did I just hear him right? Is he breaking up with me?’

“Excuse me? What are you talking about?”

“Well…uhm…I uhm…love you and all but uhm I really want to take our relationship to the next level. I don’t feel like you are as committed to me as I am to you.”

I was astounded. I didn’t know what to say or what to think.

“ what? Just because I want to keep my promise to God, you don’t want to be with me anymore. If you really loved me like I thought you did, you would freaking wait until our wedding night. Then we could have as much sex as we want. Damn! What is wrong with you?”

“I'm not trying to hurt you. I just think we need some time apart. You know, like a break or something.”

We were pulling up into the driveway of my house when I heard my phone ring again. I figured it was my mom but I wasn’t ready to talk again. I couldn’t even think straight. I couldn’t handle this. He wanted to take a break. What the hell did that mean? Was he gonna screw some other chick and then get back together with me? Nothing was making sense.

“You know what? If you can’t handle my promise then maybe we should just end this. I thought we were going to be together forever. I wanted you to be the father of my children but apparently we have different goals right now.”

I looked at him fighting back tears from streaming down my face.

“Well I guess this is it babe. Can we still be friends?”

A single tear streamed down my face. I couldn’t believe this was happening to me. He had some nerve still trying to be friends right now. I was furious.

“Goodbye Tyrone.”

I turned to the door and slowly pulled the handle. I had the faint hope that maybe he would see how much it hurt me to go our separate ways. I finally opened the door and took one last look at him.

“I’ll always love you. I will never love anyone else the way I love you.”

He looked away when he saw another tear roll down my cheek.

“Yeah. I love you too.”

I slammed the door and went inside the house. As soon as I shut the door, I looked out the window to see if he had changed his mind. He was pulling out of the driveway. Once he was down the street, I cried right there at the door. I felt like my everything was ripped away from me right then. I couldn’t believe he would do this to me. I loved him and I thought he loved me too.

‘This is it Gabby. Its over. He’s not coming back.’

I heard the garage door opening and I knew my mom was home. I ran upstairs to my room and slammed the door. I didn’t want to explain to her what had happened so I got in my bed and pretended I was sleep. I heard her coming up the stairs to my room so I buried my face into the covers. There was a soft knock at the door.

“Gabby?”

I didn’t answer so she came in and sat down on my bed. She stroked my hair and took my books off my bed. She gave me a soft kiss on my hair and walked out. As soon as I heard the TV come on downstairs, I cried myself to sleep.


The author's comments:
Stay true to who you are. Don't compromise your beliefs to make someone else happy because in the end if that person really loves you and respects you, they won't pressure you to do anything you don't want to do.