Scarlet Trees: Chapter 2 "Fateful Shadows" | Teen Ink

Scarlet Trees: Chapter 2 "Fateful Shadows"

December 11, 2013
By Lilpoetryespeon SILVER, Paso Robles, California
Lilpoetryespeon SILVER, Paso Robles, California
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Night 2: Before sunset the return of my raven brought joy to see such a thing. I invite my raven into my bedroom and clear my dresser to reveal a perch. Father didn't really care for any pet inside my room. He said it was for only commoners talk to strange beasts.
I mumbled troubledly, “Oh dear fellow feathered friend, what shall I do? I am in such a qualm. Who will be able to accept me? There is a difficult choice to be made; marry a complete stranger who already loves me dearly or my dearly beloved who lives in a different kingdom. Peter Bernardino and I have known each other since we were infants despite the opposite kingdoms! We continued schooling together, later being separated for destiny. I do not want to upset either side to start a cold war over such an innocent subject.” The bird pecks at my necklace slightly cawing with sympathy as my pendant glowed reflecting the moonlight. Confused I tuck it under my dress hoping that my answer could come to me while I sleep.
Night 3: Now, it has been officially two nights since the mystical letter had arrived. Unexpectedly, my raven has not returned yet. Not putting that in first priority, I waited dressed in the exquisite clothes and the pointe shoes from a few nights before just like the letter requested. A sudden breeze swayed the curtains as if it also wanted to dance. As I walked over to investigate,a slender cloaked man stood upon the balcony's railing. He looked down with such longing, contrarily still holding a strong presence and pure innocence about him that when we met eyes, chills creeped down my back. For once even in the darkness this could be my prince. Although it seemed to insane for Peter to show up during the night especially the sporadically increasing monsters in this kingdom. Also he was always welcomed to visit the neighboring kingdoms. Since our kingdoms were alliances it was accepted to cross into each other's land. Although recently, there have been some accusations from Peter’s people that we stole some of their merchandise. Despite all of my concerns the man was kneeling gently, his arm reaching for permission from me to have one dance. Rejection was not on my mind at this point. It was a never ending dance from midnight to the dwindling dawn, each other’s grace met with such exuberant counteraction. The room stood silent as our heads were filled with the popular ballet, Swan Lake. Perfect poise seemed to be seeping into my skin from thin air. As the hills start to engulf in golden light the man descended away from my presents jumping off the balcony as fast as he appeared that evening.


The author's comments:
This is the second chapter of my first suspense-romance "Scarlet Trees". Please if there are critiques, comment! :)