The Music of Time | Teen Ink

The Music of Time

By steelfoam SILVER, Madison, Wisconsin
steelfoam SILVER, Madison, Wisconsin

I heard the haunting melody on the radio. Time itself slowed down at the emergence of the first clear F-sharp. Sweat beaded my face as I gripped the steering wheel like a vice out of desperation. “Not now,” I thought wildly.
The world spun in a haze of black and white as I reflected back to my first night with her and her cracked plastic glasses . I could picture her soft auburn hair glowing in the reflection of the rearview mirror. I felt dazed, as if I had slammed into a solid brick wall of memory. The perfection of her bright blue eyes illuminated the sky like a blazing star and endured the glacial passing of time. Suddenly, I snapped back to reality. My heart was beating like a drum, and my my head throbbed with a dull pain. A chill ran down my back. I looked up from dashboard and slammed the brakes. I sat parked in the deserted Country Road Z alone with my thoughts, 10 miles from the nearest town. After what seemed like an eternity, it finally hit me how much I had lost.
Another song came on the radio and the magic was broken. Like the ever-changing radio, life had moved on and, for the first time in over a year, I realized I needed to move on as well.