The Woods - Part 2 | Teen Ink

The Woods - Part 2

By Annabel-Lee SILVER, New Ulm, Minnesota
Annabel-Lee SILVER, New Ulm, Minnesota

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before."

A plain, ordinary kitchen. Odd, she thought. She figured she would be in a run down cabin. Ty was actually surprised at how clean and, well, beautiful the room was. The walls were painted a baby yellow and were separated towards the bottom by white. Stainless steel appliances and wildflowers on the kitchen table.

“Do you like it?” James asked from behind.

Ty turned around, startled. “Where am I? Who are you? Why am I here?” she asked.

“I think you should sit down,” James said, taking a step closer.

Ty took a step backwards, “Don’t tell me what to do,” she said.

“Ty, please,” James said as he sat down at the table. He motioned for her to follow.

She carefully and slowly sat down at the table. “I want answers. Now.” She said, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Okay, well, like I said before, my name is James and I’m 27. The first time I saw you was in a coffee shop in Salem, Massachusetts about a year and a half ago. I feel in love with you when I heard you debating why Poe was the best American Poet.”

Ty just starred at James. She remembered the conversation she had with old man at the coffee shop, but she didn’t remember seeing James. And James wasn’t someone you didn’t notice. He had dark brown hair that was styled into a side swiped fohawk. His dark green eyes were framed by thick rimmed black glasses. His black button down and dark washed jeans fit him well. If he wasn’t her kidnapper, Ty would think he was very attractive.

James carried himself in a way that almost put her at ease. Almost. He was only 3 years older than her, but he acted like he was so much more her senior.

“You looked right at me, and at that moment, that exact moment I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you,” he said.

“Why didn’t you come up to me and ask for my number like a normal person?” Ty asked, raising her voice.

“Then what?” He asked. “Go out on a few dates only for you to decide that you weren’t interested? I couldn’t risk that.”

“That’s how it works!”

“So, my friend, Pete, and I came up with a plan. Pete lives over there with his girl. Do you see the house past the tree?” James pointed out the window.

Ty forced herself to look. Behind the tree there was a small house. “Where are we?” she asked turning back to face James.

“Don’t worry about that. We are safe; miles away from the closest town. No one can find us out here. One day you’ll be more appreciative of all that I’ve been through to get you here.” James got up and walked out the front door. Ty watched as he walked down the small hill that made up the back yard.

Ty didn’t know what to think. Part of her, a very small part of her finds what he did was romantic. Part of her knew that in some sick way he saved her. Saved her from working in the shops for the rest of her life. Saved her from the deadbeat ex-boyfriend that only came around to hurt her. But the other part of her, the part that was logical screamed that this was wrong. Who knows she thought. Maybe this could be a fresh start.

“If he wanted to hurt me he would have already,” She said aloud. She got up from the table and went out to join the man she would one day save.

I really wanted to write a short story about a girl who falls for her kidnapper.