Chance | Teen Ink

Chance

By JGBONILLA SILVER, Mounds View, Minnesota
JGBONILLA SILVER, Mounds View, Minnesota

"When you do something with your feelings, it lasts for a moment. When you do something with your heart, it lasts an eternity."

The air grew colder as the winds changed. And as more rain fell, the students could be seen swarming around campus for warmth. People ran here and there with their hoods pulled over their heads. Two people weren’t running. Two people looked to the sky in wonder and profound thought. What was the meaning of life? Tilted heads, curious faces, and innocent minds. After the chaos and excitement died down, he saw her. The girl for which he longed. Although ignorant of this, the girl, too, had kept her feelings to herself. She melted in the strength of the eye contact that held them together. Hearts racing, pulses pounding, and excitement brewing. They stood there, in the rain, looking at each other from a tree trunks length away. For them, it easily measured to be a mile. Time passed in slow motion. The blink of an eye took an eternity. He took one step down, as she proceeded forward. He took two steps at a time as she walked faster. He ran with the completion of his last step. She, too, could not seem to reach him fast enough. They stopped an arm’s length away from each other. Their faces bared a blush from the cold and their breaths were heavy and full. He took her hand and they ran. They kept running and running as seconds flew off the clock and as the rain poured harder. Their legs moving in sync, their hands bounding them together. Still outside, they ran up a flight of stairs to a somewhat type of shelter. It was the entrance before a building with a roof but no walls. Surrounding them were pillars holding up the roof, columns that acted like the doors that secured their secrets inside. He leaned her against one of the pillars as he leaned toward her face. He gently put his hand on her cheek, he could feel the blood rushing through her veins and warming her body. Their eyes still locked, he pressed his lips against hers and the spark was instantly lighted. They held each other never wanting to let go, never wanting to forget how the other felt.

I got this idea from a dream.