Light | Teen Ink

Light

December 26, 2012
By eliana_anastasia11 SILVER, Naperville, Illinois
eliana_anastasia11 SILVER, Naperville, Illinois
8 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don’t shine so others can see you. Shine so that, through you, others can see Him."
C.S.Lewis


Their light was dull. When I say dull, I mean rainy day fogginess dull. After the accident no one’s light was bright, all the students were gloomy and upset, including me. But the difference between them and me was that I kept my dreariness inside, so my light shone radiantly. I was the candle in a dusky room, the light at the end of the tunnel, but no one was following my radiant glow. They all stood their trapped in a dark depressing room filled with sorrow.

I could feel their expressions when they saw me-Disgusted.
“How could she be happy when such a horrible thing has happened?” they would whisper. I was very confused. I was just trying to spread the light. Why were they angry with me?
My light would start to die out because of these words, but he would take my hand and fill my body with light. I heard his steady breath that calmed my nervousness that was bouncing one hundred miles per hour in my head.
“Hi sweetie” he said.
Those words calmed me down and I realized how lucky I am to have the brightest shinning guy in the school. I felt his glow on me as if I were tanning. He and I, me and Him, gleaming in this murky messed up world. As we walked down the hall I heard the stress in my classmate’s voice, upset and hurting. Wishing I could take my light and give it to them and just tell them to keep going, but then I would feel their eyes on me, probably looking at me strangely. I just kept walking.
We kept walking to a destination that was unclear, but as long as he guided me; I didn’t care where we were going. At times he would just stop in the middle of the hallway and kiss my forehead. Feeling his lips hitting my skin and the smell of his cologne made me beam. I could feel the veins in his hand pumping blood to his giving heart. He led me outside the school; all of a sudden I heard the birds chirping a tune, and a car passing by, and the spring breeze hitting my face. I know there are many horrible things in the world, but I wish people could see the beauties of being blissful.
We both got in his car, talked about school and how everyone was handling the accident. “Everyone’s light is dull.” He said his voice having unsteadiness to it.
“I know.” I said with curiosity in my voice thinking of how to make their lights brighter. I felt the car rumbling under me as I cracked the window to let a breeze in. I thought of all my classmates trapped in a dark depressing room filled with sorrow. He and I were still shining brightly though. It’s an ironic thing how even my blindness doesn't stop me from seeing the light.