This Night | Teen Ink

This Night

By a_shton GOLD, Grand Prairie, Texas
a_shton GOLD, Grand Prairie, Texas

I went out the door and walked aimlessly down the street, the drops of rain hitting me coldly. I began to run. Lights are on in that house.
"Ashton?" A voice called out.
I stopped and looked at the house that my name came from, the one with the lights. A figure was at the porch. I stared until I made out the figure. Micheal Thompson.
He stood about 5'9 and had a slender build, but was defined. He had medium length light brown hair that he pushed up at the front and light brown eyes. His face was clear and smooth and he skin was tan.
"Mike?" I said in a small voice. He gestured for me to come onto the porch with him. I ran up to the porch and shook my hair a little.
"Hey, hey, you're getting me wet too." He said with a small smile forming on his lips.
"Sorry."
"So what are you doing out in the rain... and at midnight?"
"I don't know, I just wanted to get out."
"Well it's pretty cold out here, do you want to come in?"
"Oh, thanks, that would be great."
He lead me through the door and a voice called out to Mike.
"Mikey? Is that you?" A woman's voice said.
"Yeah, me and a friend."
"Oh alright," she responded.
"That's my mom," he said, answering my silent question.
"Um, are you cold?" I shook my head yes in response and he went down a hallway, gesturing me to follow him.
We walked until we came to a door at the end of the hall. He opened it and pulled out a folded towel, then tossed it in my direction. I grabbed it and wrapped it around my shoulders. Mike led me back down the hall and went up a flight of stairs.
He turned and motioned for me to come with him. I walked up the stairs.
When we got up, I saw that a single room was up there. His room.
"I'll find you a shirt and some sweats..." Mike said, while rummaging through drawers. He tossed a some clothes at me and pointed at the bathroom door in the corner of his room. I walked in and closed the door.
His bathroom was tidy enough, and was painted royal blue. I reached in the shower and pulled the knob to start the shower.
I took off my damp clothes and hopped in the hot water and ran my hands through my hair. I stood in the water trying to warm up. After a couple minutes, I turned the water off and wrapped the towel around myself tightly.
I heard a knock at the door.
"Come in." Mike opened the door and looked at me. His face turned bright pink and he immediately looked at the ground.
"Um, I can dry your clothes..." He trailed off. I smiled a little and handed him the clothes. He took them quickly and closed the door behind him. I put on his sweats and shirt. They were baggy, but would do.
I came out of the bathroom and sat down on the nearest chair, he had books laid next to his bed and clothes sprawled on top of his dresser. His TV was directly across from his bed. Mike peeked his head through his door and came in.
He sat on the floor in front of me and stared.
"So, are you going to tell me why you were out in the cold and rain at midnight?"
I looked at him and explained how I just woke up and didn't want to be in the house. How I didn't know where I was going or what I was running toward, just that I wanted to leave. I asked him why he was on the porch that late.
"Haha, I just wanted some air." We sat in silence looking at each other. I leaned down and he put his arms around my waist and pulled me off the chair on top of him. He laughed and looked at me again. He kissed me. It was soft and kind. Mike put his hands on my cheeks and the kiss stopped. We looked at each other and laughed.
I kissed him again smiled while our lips touched. We stopped and looked at each other again. I grabbed his hand and stood up. I walked over to the bed and laid down, he got next to me and did the same.
We kissed again, but this time more deeply. It was a long kiss. When we finally stopped, I snuggled close to him and laid my head on his chest. The clock said 2.
We talked all night, until we eventually fell asleep. When I opened my eyes, the clock said 5. S***.
I looked at Mike. He was still asleep. I kissed his cheek and got up. Seeing my clothes on a chair, I grabbed them and started down the stairs. As my hand was on the door, Mike called out for me. I turned around to find him at the top of the stairs, looking at me.
"You're leaving so early?" Mike asked.
"Yeah, my parents will probably be up in an hour..."
He walked down the stairs and met me at the door.
"Do you want me to walk you?"
"No, I'll be fine, but we should do this again some time. My house next time, though."
He smiled at me. I smiled back. He leaned down and kissed my nose. I blushed and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him onto my lips and kissing him passionately.
"Bye," I said, walking off.
"Bye..."
I walked off until I found myself in front of my house. I walked around the side and opened my window. As I walked in my room, I plopped down on my bed and checked my phone. One text message. I opened it. It was from Mike.
Thanks for last night. Let's do it again sometime?
I looked at the text and responded, Sounds great.
I slipped under my covers and fell asleep.

This is part one, I don't know when I'll post a part two, but it's coming.

on Dec. 18 2012 at 8:13 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

This is great. Really fantastic job on this. You took a tiny, usually meaningless scene and made me want to just elaborate on it more and more. Great job!!