What is life without love? | Teen Ink

What is life without love?

By shannikallie SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
shannikallie SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"Words have no power to impress the mind without exquisite horror of their reality" Edgar Allan Poe
"The boundaries which divide life and death are at best shadowy and vague who shall say where the one begins, and where the one ends" Edgar Allan Poe

Emily never thought for a second that happiness would come her way, and now that it has she

never thought it could be ripped from her and shredded before her eyes. Emily didn't believe in fairy

-tales,didn't believe in love, or even marriage for that matter. She has been with boys, she has kissed

boys,but they never seem to mean much, it was more of a mutual hook up type thing. Emily was far

from believing happiness was going to snatch her from behind, and give her the surprise of her life,

until a year ago.

Emily was popular, and didn't care for statistics. She had friends, not many. But more than

enough for her taste. Emily lived in a nice, big, beautiful neighborhood, but she wasn't considered a

rich snob, because she never acted like it. She was smart, quiet, didn't talk all that much, only when

she had to.

In history class she was distraught in the most wonderful way anyone could imagine. She never

had been more speechless in her life than that very moment when he walked in. Long shaggy brown

hair, big brown eyes that made you melt, and a smile that was blinding. There he was, the boy she

thought was lost in the abyss of the dead, the boy she thought about in her secret hiding spot.

Jacob Anderson was his name, she knew nothing was going to come of it. Just another boy, in

her lonely life. Emily knows she is never alone, but she feels alone the most when she is with a crowd

of people. Jacob sits down right next to Emily, she tried not to look. Jacob looks right at her “Hi, I'm

Jacob” she stutters “Hi, I I'm Emily” “Nice to meet you” Jacobs reaches out a hand. “You too” Emily

replies while they shake hands. Emily feels something, but brushes it off.

The school day is over, and Emily heads to her car. She sits in the driving sit, puts her bag next

to her, and looks up. There is Jacob looking at her with a sweet smile, looking away she know she is

blushing. She puts her car in drive, leaves the parking lot, and heads for home. Emily pulls in her drive

way, turns off the car, and just thinks. She has never felt this way before, and part of her was terrified.

The next day at school, Emily notices that Jacob is in her homeroom. She doesn't like this at all.

Emily feels like her life has been turned upside down from a boy she only met yesterday. She looks up

to see Jacob hovering over her desk with a smile. “Hi, Emily” “Uh hello” “I'm sorry was interrupting

something I could co--” “No, no you're fine” Emily replies with a smile, realizing what she had just

said. “Okay, ha. How are you doing” Jacob asks. “I'm good, how are you doing, Jacob?” I'm good,

kinda feel different, since I'm in a new school and all.” “Oh, well if you want you can hang with me

until you make new frie--” “Sure!” Jacob replies enthusiastically.

Emily is usually rather pessimistic when it comes to boys, but something tells her it's different

this time. Jacob has been hanging with her for a few weeks now, and they both seem interested,

comforted by each others company. She wonders, and wonders if everything she thought about love

was a lie, and that fate fell her way. Emily sits in class, daydreaming, and doesn't even notice that the

bell rang. “Em? Em? Emily!” Jacob screams slightly. “What? Oh, sorry” “Are you okay” “Yeah, sorry I

was thinking” “About what? “Like I would dare to tell you!” she says with a laugh as they walk out of

school. Jacob tickling her hoping to squeeze the truth out. “Stop, no I'm not telling you!” Jacob looks at

her with puppy dog eyes that fooled her so many times before. “Nice try stud, hey listen I have to go”

The most unexpected, Jacob leans in and kisses her. She pulls away in complete shell shock. “I I I'm

sorry” Jacob speaking in fright. Emily turns around, without words, and walks to her car. When she

gets in and looks up, Jacob looking at her, She gives a smile, and drives off”

Laying in bed later that night, replaying the kiss in her head, when all of a sudden she hears this

strange noise, feeling stupid because it's her phone. “Hey Jacob. What's up? “I wanted to meet you at

the cafe tonight, If that's okay? “Yeah sure I'll be there in 15 minutes” She straightens up her looks,

grabs her bag, and leaves her house.

Jacob is where they planned to meet with flowers, Emily is confused. “Hey, I wanted to

apologize for earlier, and I wanted to tell you something” “Okay....” She replies still confused. Sitting

over a cup of coffee, he confesses the unbelievable, and the most incredible thing ever. “I like you,

Emily. Over these past few weeks, I've grown feelings for you” Emily now smiling tells Jacob the truth

about earlier “Earlier, I was thinking about you, and how I got lost in your eyes since day one” Jacob

leans over, and gives her a kiss, in which case she falls deep into like the abyss she has fallen into

many times, her first kiss that meant something more than any other before.

Emily's and Jacobs relationship was flawless for the first few months until one night. Emily wouldn't

talk, wouldn't make eye contact with Jacob “Babe what's wrong?” Jacob asks concerned. “Nothing.”

“Don't lie to me” “Do you love me?” “What, What are you talking about? Why would you ask such a

thing?” “I don't was us to be a lie!” The first fight officially began, Jacob knows something else is

bothering her. “Emily, if you don't tell me the full story, I can't help you” Jacob replies in a stern voice

. “Fine, Emily, don't reply, I best be on my way”

Emily never wanted this, deep down she is blaming Jacob for this. In her heart she knows it's her fault,

little did she know, it was over. Only an hour later, Emily receives a phone call from Jacobs Parents.

“Emily, Jacob has gotten into a car accident” Emily rushing to the scene, seeing Jacob on a stretcher

put into an ambulance. Following him to the hospital. Sitting, waiting patiently in the waiting room

with Jacobs parents, the doctor comes out. “Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, I'm sorry but your son has passed

away.

Emily snaps out of it, sitting on the cliff in which she calls her secret hiding spot. Looking over

the cliff, at the beautiful, bright sculpted skyline. She only wishes life was as beautiful as the view

from up here. A year later, and Emily thought she got over the tragic accident, but realizes she will

never, ever forget him. Jacob Anderson her beautiful mysterious boyfriend. She knows it's her fault

, She knows the wrong she has done. The biggest regret in her life was letting Jacob Anderson walk out

that door for the last time. Standing up, Emily says out loud “Do I dare jump”

Sometimes living in the moment could turn into a tragedy that will last a lifetime. Cherish what you have today, it may be gone tomorrow.