Summer Love | Teen Ink

Summer Love

By Pattyn88 GOLD, Indianapolis, Indiana
Pattyn88 GOLD, Indianapolis, Indiana

"truth is everyone is going to hurt you, you just have to find the ones worth suffering for."
-Bob Marly

Have you ever had someone ask you how you are doing without them? Have you ever asked someone how they are doing without you? Have you ever looked deep into someone’s eyes and known that they are the one for you? His name is Nico… Nico Acha, and his eyes are blue. The first time I saw Nico, he had just stepped off the bus. He was looking wide-eyed around the country he had just entered. I felt bad for him at first. He had come all this way from Spain on his first trip to America and had ended up in Indiana. But we at Flat Rock and nothing is ever boring at Flat Rock. Nico was tall, about 5 10”, with dirty blonde hair and a smile that could make you feel so warm inside, it was like he had started a fire with-in your heart. Of course, Nico being as handsome has he is every American girl had their eyes on him. Every American girl who had stayed for the weekend was in love.
I remember that night after dinner we (Americans) went swimming. At the same time the guys from Spain got a basketball game going on the court across from the pool. My eyes were stuck on Nico the whole time. About halfway through the basketball game I noticed his eyes were glued on me, just as mine were on him. I didn’t think anything of it. I didn’t even honestly think he was looking at me. I’m nothing special, why would he be looking at me? I figured he was looking at Alex, who was sitting next to me on the edge of the pool. Alex was beautiful. Why wouldn’t he look at her? That night I couldn’t sleep. I was too excited for the month to come, a month full of Nico. The next day, Sunday, was the day new campers arrived, but more importantly it was the day we would get to meet the Spaniards. I don’t know if was fate or luck, but Nico was the first kid from Spain I met. From that first hello I knew he was someone worth getting to know. Although we are not allowed to watch T.V. at camp they had made an exception since Spain was playing in the European Cup. All the Spaniards and a few other camper all piled into the Alumni lodge to watch the game. I grabbed my friend Kennedy and went to watch the game. We grabbed a seat right next to Nico. I had no idea who to cheer for, not being an avid Football watcher. Since it seemed like everyone in the room would being cheering for Spain, Kennedy and I decided to cheer for Italy. Spain won four to zero. I remember walking up to Nico after the game and congratulating him on his team’s victory. I also remember saying that the score would have been better the other way around. He laughed, and that was the start to a great friendship.
Throughout the month we fell in love. Through dancing, rugby, camping, and even rock climbing we fell in love. I will never forget that magical feeling I got when Nico and I waltzed… to dubstep. For four weeks we both forgot where we were from. . But towards the end of the last week we were forced to remember that he would be going back to Spain soon and I would be staying here. Saturday morning rolled around and it was time for us to say our goodbyes. We both tried not to cry as we said goodbye, but of course my eyes tiered up. I melted on the inside and out when he kissed me. We still talk to each other daily and wear matching head bands around our necks, so we can remember each other, as if we could forget each other. I still love him, and he tells me he still loves me. I have started counting the days until next summer, counting down till when I’ll see Nico again.