A Love Not Forgotten | Teen Ink

A Love Not Forgotten

By TryingToLive PLATINUM, Austintown, Ohio
TryingToLive PLATINUM, Austintown, Ohio

"And I think of all the thousands of billions of steps and missteps and chances and coincidences that have brought me here and it feels like the biggest miracle in the world."

The first time I saw him, he was playing baseball with my brotheer Ben. It was a hot Tuesday afternoon and school had just let out for the summer. It was still cooler inside the house then out, even though my father had refused to turn on the air conditioning. I had just stepped outside to call Ben for dinner, when I caught my first glimpse of him. He was at the other end of the courtyard, just a blurry image running for the ball. His pale brown skin showed signs of continuous exposure to the sun and his jet black hair was sweat soaked. At first glance, he seemed to be nothing more then a new friend my brother had just made. I didn't think much about him while I called for Ben repeatedly. Ben, being as stubborn as usual, pretended he hear a word I said. I was losing my temper.

"Ben!" I screeched as I strode across the courtyard in irritation. Finally, he turned with a smirk on his already sun burnt face.

"What?" he asked innocently. I wanted to strangle him.

"Dad says it's time for dinner," I growled therough gritted teeth. We were going to get in trouble for being late and I was not going to take the fall for it again.

"We all know that means I have at least 5 more minutes."

I just stared at him.

"OK, ok, I'm coming. Lemme get my ball first." He started jogging across tee courtyard. I rolled my eyes and turned around to go when a quiet chuckle came from behind me.
I whirled and glared at the owner of the obtrusive noise. Looking back unashamedly, the boy's face broke into a huge grin, flashing a white smile teat shown against his dark skin.

"Hi."

"Hi," I replied, a bit surprised.

"I'm Isaiah," he said.

I looked at him.

"You know. This is generally when people reply withe their names."

"Emily!" The angry voice of my father from behind me made me jump.

"I gotta go." I mumbled.

"See ya around Emily," he grinned.

I hurried back to my house without another word.

************************

I did see him around. The next week I went to my dads I saw him. He was playing basketball in front of my house when we pulled in. Stepping out of the car, I grabbed my bags and grimaced inwardly.

"Hey, Emily, hold up!" Dropping the ball, he jogged to my side.
"Lemme get those bags for you."

"No thanks," I said at the same time he reached for theem. Our fingers brushed against each other and I jerked away, dropping tee bags. Nervously, I looked around me, but somehow everyone else had already gotten into the house. Looking back at him, with his hopeful smile and my bags in his hands, I sighed.

"Come on."

Pushing open thee door,a rush of cool air assaulted me.

"This way." I led him through the kitchen, down the stairs and into my room.
"Just throw them over there." I indicated vaguely to my bed and fell into a nearby chair.

"There you go. So how long have you guys been living here?"

We only moved in a little over a monthe ago."

"You haven't been outside much," he observed.

"Your skills of observation astound me." I replied dryly.

He laughed. It was a beautiful sound; starting in his stomach, rumbling up his torso, his shoulders shook and he closed his eyes.

"So what do you spend your time doing then?"

"Reading. Bull fighting. Practicing my ninja skills. Snake taming."

"Busy girl."

"Extremely."

We looked at each otheer. He suddenly broke eye contact and started roaming the room.

"What are you doing?" I questioned.

"Just trying to learn more about you."

"From my room?" I snorted.

"You'd be surprised what you can learn about someone from their room."

"Really? So, what did you learn about me?" I mocked. He leaned back against my dresser with ease.

"You love to read, obviously." He said indicating three bookshelves and countless books scattered around my room. "That also normally means you do well in school." He paused. "Your favorite color is purple. You have lots of friends but you would ratheer be alone."

I stiffened. He unfolded his arms and walked over slowly. His voice lowered.

"You're hard on thee outside, but I theink you're sweet on inside," he brought his face closer to mine, inches away from my lips, "Just like candy."

I stood up so fast the chair tumbled backwards. "Get out."

He raised his hands in surrender and backed away.
"Okay, okay, I'll leave. But I'll see you later." He grinned and bounded up thee stairs. My hands trembled as I rose to shut the door.

"Who was that boy?" My fathers voice reached my ears as his hands stopped my door.

"Just a neighbor. Isaiah."

"What was he doing in your room?"

"Ju-just helping me bring my bags down."

"I don't trust him. Watch out for him." He glared at me. "Dinner's in an hour." He said as he walked out of my room.

***********************

The next day, he showed up at my front door with flowers. I opened the door, slightly shocked and irritated to see him.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded.

"Bringing you flowers. What does it look like?"

"Just get in here." I sighed.

"Where is everyone?" He asked as he stepped inside.

"Work, friends, store." I answered. Walking to the kitchen, I got a vase and turned on the faucet. Taking the flowers from him, I placed them in thee vase and started down the stairs. He followed.

"There's no getting rid of you, is there?"

"Not a chance." He said with a smile.

"Want to help me unload these last boxes then?"

"Sure."
Opening the first box, he laughed. "Books. Why am I not surprised?"

"Maybe it's because you know me so well." I said sarcastically. "I organize them by height, just so you know."

"I can see." He said as he started placing them on thee shelf. "So what grade are you going into?" He asked.

"11th."

"Cool, me too. What classes are you taking? Maybe we'll have some."

I laughed. "I doubt it. Shakespeare, poetry, AP English, Algebra II, Economy, AP History, and Chemistry."

He whistled. "Wow. Impressive. But. I too am taking thee great English Poet."

I rolled my eyes. "Wonderful."

He slowly got up off the floor, weaving his way across the clutter on my floor. Reaching my bed side table, he picked up a picture. His eyes wandered across it.

"Who is this?"

I swallowed. "My sister."

He looked at me, but didn't say anything else as he gingerly placed the frame back on my side table. Slowly, his hand reached for me. Unconsciously, I leaned into it. Locking eyes with me, his face descended onto mine. My eyes fluttered closed as our lips collided. Sparks exploded in my eyes and my mind suddenly forgot how to work. Reaching up, I entwined my fingers through his thick, soft hair. His hands wrapped around my waist, their heat searing my skin through my shirt. And so we stood; lips locked, pressed against each other, a moment frozen in time. And for that one moment, everything was perfect.

Some parts of this short story did actually happen.

AnonymousAuthorAir, Killeen, Texas

" Stars can't shine without darkness"- Ali Qayyum

Awwww(: i like

TryingToLive PLATINUM, Austintown, Ohio

Thank you so much! :)

on Aug. 9 2012 at 2:18 am
rasberry71 BRONZE, Miami, Florida

you know what i’ve done not been through

Amazing! I love it