Forever, My Love | Teen Ink

Forever, My Love

By HarryPotterFreak13 PLATINUM, Bridgewater, Massachusetts
HarryPotterFreak13 PLATINUM, Bridgewater, Massachusetts

"I'd rather be hated for being myself than loved for being someone I'm not."

I first found the meadow when I was seven. I used to wander around the woods, nobody cared about me. My parents hardly knew I existed.

When I first discovered the meadow, nobody knew about it. But on the second day I visited. I realized someone was lurking in the shadows.

"Who's there?" I asked, "Come out now." A boy stepped out into the light.

The boy was handsome, he had an angular face and kind eyes. The only problem was that he was transparent.

His name was Henry, we became friends quickly. Bonding over our similar loneliness.

He died of a disease when he was fifteen. He asked to be taken to the meadow to die peacefully. And he did, and since then he has wandered around it, in search of company. But I was the only one who could see him.

The day I turned fifteen my life changed forever. I began to notice feelings for Henry, strong ones I couldn't ignore. I was falling in love with a dead person.

And he was the time my mother noticed me. She came into my bedchambers and told me, "You are a woman now. It's about time you start acting like one."

So then she started to change me. My clothes, my hair, my manners, the way I walked and talked. But I started to be able to visit Henry less and less.

Henry began to get angry, "You're changing. I don't like it. Why can't you just stay the same?"

"My mother is very strict." I answered.

"You're not visiting as often." he said.

"But they are starting to notice me." I reasoned.

Then when I was sixteen, my mother informed me that she had invited a young gentleman by the name of Jackson to come and stay with us.

"They are trying to make you marry him."

"They wouldn't!" I argued.

"You are to young and naive! They ignored you for fourteen years and then suddenly when you get old enough to be a wife they start noticing you? That sounds like they are using you."

"They wouldn't do that."

Then my mother told me that Jack was going to try and woo me. He was kind, smart, and handsome, but he wasn't Henry.

Me and Jack were friends, but he fancied me. I still managed to go see Henry, I just had to make excuses to Jack.

But I knew, he knew I was lying. So he followed me.

Me and Henry had been arguing, "I'm sorry! My mother is forcing me into it! You were right all along!"

"I know. But can't you just tell her no?"
"No? My mother is strict! I can't just say no!"I yelled at him. "I'm sorry." I sobbed.

His face fell, his eyes full of concern, "No, I'm sorry. I am just envious."

"Because he's alive?"

"And because he can hold you, kiss you, have a family with you." he looked at me, "See?" he asked as he passed his hand through me.I nodded.

As I was leaving I bumped into Jack. "Who were you talking to?"

"Jack! What are you doing here?"

"You were arguing-who were you talking with?" I was about to answer, to make up another lie. "You weren't talking to anyone." he backed away slowly.

"Jack it's not what you thin-"

"You're insane."

"Jack seriously it's not what you think-"

He placed his hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eyes. "We can get you help. No, I will take care of you. I will give you a better life. I have seen the way your family treats you and I will treat like your are the most important thing in the world...because you are too me. I love you."

"Jack-"

"Will you marry me?"

"Jack I- can I have time to think about it?"

"Yes, take all the time in the world. But remember, I won't tell anyone. Unless you marry me."

"Jack-"

"I love you so much. I want- no I need you as my wife and I am willing to do what ever it takes."

I ran back to my house and threw myself on my bed. Seconds later my mother entered the room with a smile on her face. "I heard the good news." she told me. "He proposed."

"He did."

"And you said yes of course. Now, about the wedding-"

"I asked if he could give me time."

"What?"

"I need time. I'm not sure if I am ready for this yet. And I don't love him-"

"Love? We didn't have you for love! We had you so when you got older you could go marry a rich man. We need this money now so you are going to be ready or you will be kicked out of this house and never allowed back. Do I make myself clear?" I nodded. "Good. Good night. And first thing tomorrow morning you will tell Jackson you will marry him." I nodded again.

I cried. I cried for hours. Jack tried to come in and comfort me but I told him to leave me alone.

I couldn't go through with this! How could my parents be so cruel? They would probably save their precious things from a fire over me. They would leave me there to burn to death-

Death.

That's the only option. I then searched for my light. I found my savior in a cabinet. I took a sip from the vial.

I didn't have long.

I ran to the meadow, as fast as I could. I found Henry right where I left him.

"I have something to tell you."

"What?"

"I-I- I don't know how to say this..."

"Then I will go first. I drank poison."

"What? Why?" he looked worried.

"I can't marry him. I want to be with you. We can be together forever, my love."

"I'm not real."

"What?" Then I died. When I woke to a bright light. The meadow suddenly came into vision.

"There she is!" Someone shouted. Suddenly I was roughly tugged up and pulled away from the beautiful place.

"No! Henry please! Come back to me!"

"What is she talking about?" a familiar voice asked. I looked to see Jack standing there talking to my father. "She has Schizophrenia."

"Jack please!" I said clinging on to him. "Don't let them do this to me! I'm not crazy!"

"Sure you aren't. Get the sedative!" Suddenly I was shoved into a large truck with bars on the back window.

"No! Henry! Jack!" I called. And again, like my imagination, I was all alone.

The End.

I came up with this during English class. I hope you liked it. It's sad, I know. The original ending I had was... I guess happier. But this is different. I hope this gives you a new take on life, love, death, and being truly alone. Thank you!