Sometimes... | Teen Ink

Sometimes...

By red_roses GOLD, Kansas City, Missouri
red_roses GOLD, Kansas City, Missouri

Sitting in a chair at the corner table at the local coffee shop, my mind spins with thoughts about what might happen in fifteen minutes when Lukas walks through the door.
He doesn’t even realize what he does to me.
The bell above the door chimes and Lukas enters. He glances around the room and when he sees me starts walking over. “Hey, Izzy.”
“Hello.”
“So, what’s up?” he asks, taking a seat across from me.
“The sky,” I say, smiling a small, sad smile.
We always do this… ‘What’s up?’ ‘The sky.’ He always replies the same. “Not in Chicken Little’s world.”
He must see something on my face because a he is wearing a confused expression when he asks, “What’s wrong?”
“Lukas –“ I sigh, “I don’t know how to say this so I’m just going to say it… I don’t think we should be friends anymore.” I keep my eyes on the table, not wanting to see the look on his face.
“Why?” he whispers.
I look up at him. Hot tears are welling up in my eyes, threatening to spill over. “Because I –“ I take a deep breath before continuing, “I’m in love with you.”
“Izzy—“
“Let me finish. I’m in love with you. But you don’t feel the same and I accept that. But the fact of the matter is that being around you and having you talk about other girls just hurts too much. I try to pretend that it doesn’t bother me. But when I lay in bed at night, trying to fall asleep, and cry for hours over you…” I let my voice trail off and look at the table top.
“You’re wrong.”
“What?” I ask, lifting my gaze.
“You assumed that I don’t have feelings for you.” He holds my gaze.
I raise me eyebrows. “Lukas… “
“You’re wrong.”