My Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Best Friend

By Koalabear345 BRONZE, Dingmans Ferry, Pennsylvania
Koalabear345 BRONZE, Dingmans Ferry, Pennsylvania

I was just sitting on the bench by the playground. Looking around and thinking. I pulled my feet up and hugged my knees. I was thinking about the previous year. I had made the biggest decision of my life. I had chose, that at seventeen, I should keep the baby. I had made a mistake with my boyfriend. He made a worse decision, he left when he found out I was pregnant. My best friend, Logan, was there for me the whole time. He was there in the delivery room, holding my hand. I let him name her. He deserved it after helping me. He named her, Avril, after his grandmother. I thought it was sweet. He and his grandmother had been very close. I hoped that would mean he would be close with my daughter as well. It did.

“Come here, baby girl. You can walk. Come to Daddy.” Logan may not have been her biological father, but he treated her like she was his own. I got up off the bench and walked over to him.

“She is only four months old. She can’t even crawl yet.” I said giggling.

“It was worth a shot. I will be the one to teach her to crawl, walk, and talk.” He said as he picked her up.

“I know you will.” I smiled. He just stared at me, in a good way.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing, I was just thinking.” He said.

“About?” I asked.

“How pretty you are. How great of a mother you are. How much Avril looks like you.” He said, smiling.

“Well, thank you. You make an amazing father. What made you think of that?” I asked.

“I don’t know. I just realized how lucky I am to have you and, even if she isn’t mine, Avril. I love you, Cam.” He said as he came closer and kissed me, ever so softly, on the lips. Then he kissed Avril on the forehead.

“I never would have thought, that you would be the guy I fell in love with. But, now it all makes sense. My best friend, is the love of my life.” I said with a smile. He leaned over and kissed me again. He put Avril down and we watched her play with the sand. We laughed as she threw some sand in the air as she laughed. She was a happy little girl. Now that I thought about it, she did look like me. She had red hair, blue eyes, and freckles. But she had features of her father, too. She had his nose, lips, and even her little ears looked like his. But she showed personality traits of Logan. She was sweet, and acted exactly like him. I loved them both. They were my life and my world. If anything ever happened to either of them, I would just die. I stared at the ring I had received the day I had given birth to Avril, and I smiled.

~8 Months Later~
April 14

“And now I look at you and say, with all my heart, I truly love you.” I said, after I told the story of the day at the play ground.

“I love you, too.” Logan said.

“And the last two words I say to you, as Cameron Louise Martin, is ‘I do’” I said, as I started to cry.

“I do.” Logan said with a smile.

“I now pronounce you, husband and wife, you may kiss the bride.” The priest said as he pointed to Logan. He kissed me so passionately. I looked out in the aisle. I saw my mother holding the birthday girl, Avril. She was now one year old. She was now, Avril Anna Grammar and I was, Cameron Louise Martin Grammar.