A Bad Romance | Teen Ink

A Bad Romance

By KaylaaIsAwkward BRONZE, Big Valley, California
KaylaaIsAwkward BRONZE, Big Valley, California

There is a fine line between genius and insanity, i have erased that line

I stood outside his door knocking repeatedly but there was no answer. I crept over to the potted plant next to the door and searched it for the spare key. It was in between two of the rocks surrounding the plant. I walked slowly back over too his apartment door and fumbled to put it in the lock with my freezing hands. It took three tries but I finally managed to get the key in the lock and turn it.

When I walked into the apartment, I saw him with his lips locked on hers and tears filled my eyes. I ran out the door hurrying down the hallway leaving the door open. He obviously had heard me because he was chasing me. I turned around with tears streaming down my face and told him to leave me alone and go back to her.

“No, you don’t understand Sarah! It’s not what it looked like, I swear!” he said.

I stopped mid-step and turned slowly to face him, still crying. Through my little sobs I managed to speak, “Don’t lie to me. You’re not the first one to do this. Just tell me the truth it’s a lot easier.”

Then I saw the girl emerge from the doorway and start to stumble our way. It was obvious she was drunk; I mean it was New Year’s Eve after all. He and I were supposed to go downtown and watch the ball drop but instead I ended up watching it myself. “He’s tellin’ the truth,” she hollered down the hallway, “I kissed him, he was gonna take me home but I got sick in the car so he brought me here.”
“So why didn’t you push her away,” I said through gritted teeth.
“I didn’t get a chance; you walked in just as she planted her lips on mine and pushed me down. I was in the middle of walking to answer the door,” Jared replied.

I looked at the girl that had just finished approaching us. She really did look sincere, I mean, for a drunken person, when she mumbled, “he’s not lying.”

I looked at the ground. My lime green shoes completely void of any sign I had been outside. I wiped my eyes, lifted my head, turned around and staggered down the hallway tears not having left my eyes yet, “I need time to think about what I saw Jared. I’ll call you when I’m ready to talk.”

I got into the elevator, pushed the first floor button and sunk to the floor of the elevator with my head on my knees. She got MY midnight kiss. When I finally rose up again I was on the first floor. I got up and walked out of the building to where I was parked. On my way home, I thought about everything that had happened just before and what I was going to do. I stopped at the red light and started to cry. I knew it would take a while to get over what I saw but if it truly was what they said, I can’t let him suffer for too long. The tears made my vision blurry causing me to pull over. I wiped my tears and continued driving.
When I got home I had six new messages. Each and every one was from Jared he was apologizing. I had decided I would give it a few days then I would make my decision. Jared had told me just a few weeks before this that I was the love of his life and he wanted to marry me as soon as I would let him. I had told him that we would get married in one year. Then this happens, just my luck.
The first, second, and third day Jared called many times. I never answered but he always left me a message. Then the fourth day he stopped calling and I started to wonder why. When I didn’t get any calls the next day either I decided to go check on him. I didn’t bother to knock I just grabbed the spare key and unlocked the door. When I walked in, I couldn’t see Jared but something smelt bad. I walked into the next room and found Jared lying on the floor with a note beside him labeled “Sarah”. I picked it up and read the contents, “You should have decided sooner Sarah. I figured if you can’t continue to love me, no one can.”

When I bent down to feel his pulse I couldn’t find one. His body was cold and colorless. My true love was gone.

I was inspired to write this when my best friend and her boyfriend both committed suicide within a 3 month period.

mikey5197 said...
on Aug. 2 2012 at 4:04 am

BEAUTIFUL STORY!!! kaylaaahpops is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!