Don't go | Teen Ink

Don't go

By ALLISULLIVAN BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
ALLISULLIVAN BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin

“He’s on floor 3, room 24.”

No words can explain the feeling that I felt in my stomach when the word came out of the doctor’s mouth. “No.” No what? He didn’t make it? No need to worry? No what? I was speechless. I didn’t want to lose him for good. This past week didn’t go well for me at all. Brian broke up with me two days ago. He thought it would be okay just to leave me after four years. We’ve been dating all through high school. He was all of it. Everything I did in those years, I experienced with him. One day he just randomly decided to shove my heart in my face and have it hit the ground, then…step on it. After everything we’ve been through, from going to Paris together, going on a cruise with our parents, and now this. I don’t get it. Our plans were to go to college together, but suddenly now, he wants to go to Canada?

Now all I want for him is to be healthy and happy.

“Miss, are you alright?” Dr. Allen directed to me. No I am not alright. The love of my life is hurt, and I’m supposed to be at nationals but instead I’m at the hospital. So no, I am not alright.

“Is Brian okay?” I demanded.

“Well, we know that there isn’t too much damage, but the accident caused a few problems.” Dr. Allen explained.

“A few problems? What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Goosebumps crawled up my arms and slid down my back.

“Well, when we did his surgery, we put him to sleep but when he wakes up; he might not remember what happened. Or he might’ve lost his memory. It could be for a few minutes, hours, days, or even forever. We don’t know what the brain damage has done.” I felt sick to my stomach. Why the hell is he so stupid? Tears started to pour down my face. What if he doesn’t remember me? What if he doesn’t remember anything?

“What are the chances he would remember me?” I asked.

“Well we don’t know yet.” He explained.

“Can I go see him?”

“Thank you.” I said. I can’t feel my legs or my arms. My arms feel numb from shaking. What if he can’t remember me at all? I can’t wait to see him. I knew he shouldn’t have gone to that party last night. I knew he was going to drink. I should’ve stopped him; somehow. If he doesn’t remember me when he wakes up, is this another shot? Another chance to get him back? What if he gets his memory comes back though? Then what?

All these questions are pounding back and forth in my mind. Once I got to the third floor, I stood there; in front of the elevator. It felt like my shoes were glued to the carpet. I didn’t want to walk down the hallway of fear. My ex-boyfriend was in there. I wish I was at least with someone else, like maybe his parents. But they died last year in a terrible car accident. Mr. and Mrs. Ballot were very close with my parents. I needed someone else to help me go through this. Should I call my parents? I hate having second thoughts. I can’t keep my mind to one thing.

I finally started walking down the blue wall-papered hallway. I didn’t look up much, only when I was about to pass a room, I looked at the room number.

Finally, I reached down to his room. Room 24 was at the end of the hallway. I quickly stuck my head inside the door to see if it was the right room. On the whiteboard above his bed was Brian’s last name. “Ballot” in a bright orange marker. The hand writing was in cursive and was very neat. I’m guessing a nurse wrote it.

Once I stepped into the small room, I looked at his bed right away. There he was. He had a scar above his right eye brow that was about an inch from the car accident. His eyes were closed. His full, long eye lashes were very noticeable. They made his eyes look absolutely gorgeous. They made his brown eyes look even bigger. His brown, soft, smooth, hair was still messed up from last night and the accident. His cheekbones were the thing I liked the most about him. They made him look manly. They made him look sexy. They matched perfectly with his tan skin.

I sat down on the chair next to the bed I decided to text my mom.

Brian is in the hospital, bad car crash!! come ASAP xoxox- Ashley

I threw my phone back into my purse and just watched Brian sleep. I wanted to lay next to him on the bed, but if he doesn’t remember me; that would be terrifying to wake up to.

I should’ve been at nationals for volleyball. Brian should’ve been with me. He should be my boyfriend; but no. Things had to fall apart.

I started to burst into tears. I put my elbows on my knees and threw my face into my palms.

When will he wake up? I don’t care if we broke up or not, I still love him and care about him. Nothing will change that.

Suddenly, I felt a cold hand on my arm. I looked up and Brian was awake. My heart couldn’t stop pounding really fast and loud. I found myself smiling at him.

“Hey Babe.” Brian softly looked at me and brushed his hand on my arm.

“Hi, how are you?” I asked

“I’m great. What exactly happened?”

“Well I’m not sure exactly, but you went to Amanda’s party with your friends and all a sudden I got a phone call this morning saying you crashed your car and you’re in the hospital. You were drunk.” I sighed

“But isn’t her party on Saturday?” Brian asked. He doesn’t remember! He doesn’t know its Sunday!

“It’s Sunday Brian.” I explained

“No, it’s Tuesday. We were at the Japanese steak house for your birthday!” Brian fiercely said. That’s when we were still together! He didn’t have the brochure for Canada yet! He got it Wednesday morning! This is great! He doesn’t remember a thing!

“What’s the last thing you remember?” I asked

“We were eating at the steak house.” Should I not tell him about Canada? Should I not tell him about our break up? Even if it was only for two days, he still was moving out of the country! I will not let that happen!

“Only five days has passed by, but I’m just glad you’re alright and alive. I was scared you weren’t even going to remember me!” I sighed and stood up and lay next to him. He was finally my boyfriend again. He kissed me on my forehead and closed his eyes. I had my arms wrapped around his waist and my head was leaning against his shoulder.

“Argh, I have a huge headache.” Brian said

“Do you want me to call the nurse to bring you anything?” I asked

“Thanks Ash.”

“You’re welcome brain.” I dialed the nurse and asked her to bring some medication for Brian.

Fifteen minutes after laying with Brian the nurse came and asked to speak with me.

“Hello ma’am, I’m going to have to ask you something.” The nurse flipped through her clip board and clicked her pen and started to write something down

“Sure, anything” I said

“Who are Brian’s guardians?” The nurse asked

“He stays with his aunt, but he normally stays with his best friend because his aunt is never home. She’s always working.” I explained

“Where can I contact her for the insurance policies and that stuff?”

“Call her cell phone, here it is.” I walked into Brian’s room and quickly grabbed my purse. I finally detected my phone and found her number. I read off her number and thanked the Nurse. Dr. Allen came walking down the hall towards us. The nurse walked towards Dr. Allen and whispered something to him. Afterwards, the nurse left the doctor and started to walk towards me again.

“Hello Miss, how is Brian?” Dr. Allen asked

“He doesn’t remember anything until Tuesday night.” I spluttered out

“He might remember it soon, or he might not remember it ever again. The positive thing is that he at least remembers something, and five days isn’t a long time. He’s lucky. You’re lucky!” He said

“I’m just glad he’s alive.” I told him

“This might be hard to get used to, when he comes home, you have to be really careful. He can come home whenever he feels that he’s ready, we suggest he waits until tomorrow morning or afternoon to leave." Dr.Allen slightly demanded

"Brain damages are hard to deal with, and can be very serious."

ThatCheekyMonkey SILVER, Cork, California

Expect the Unexpected <3

Thats a good story.

just one thing i got confused at : "His eyes were closed. . (eyelashes somthing...) They made his brown eyes look even bigger."

Its sounds like u explain it by seeing them at that moment but i know ur only saying how it looks on daily basis. :)

I like the story tough :)