Ordinary | Teen Ink

Ordinary

By Cass_13 BRONZE, Puyallup, Washington
Cass_13 BRONZE, Puyallup, Washington

“I love you.” His words echo in the empty hallways as he stares into my eyes. “I love you, too.” He slowly starts to lean in. This is it, I think to myself. The moment I’ve been waiting for… Beep! Beep! Beep! My alarm clock rings annoyingly, waking me up from my vivid dream. 5:30 in the morning is too early to be waking up, I think with a sigh. I stretch, yawn, and get ready for the day. After getting dressed, I pull my soft, light brown hair into a casual ponytail, adorned with a blush pink ribbon. I frown at myself in the mirror. It was no use. I would never be anything but ordinary. I shrug off the negative feelings and rush downstairs. I grab my backpack and a piece of toast, and started my daily walk to school.
“Don’t look. Don’t look. Don’t look.” I quietly repeat this mantra over and over until I can resist no longer. Carefully, slowly, I peek out from behind my locker door.
“Hey Casey, staring at Temo again?” I jumped and turned to see a grinning Tori staring back at me. I punched him in the arm.
“What did I tell you about sneaking up on me?”
“Umm… to not do it?” He replied with a wink. “Anyway, why don’t you just go talk to Temo? He likes talking to you. He told me so.” I blushed.
“Don’t be ridiculous. He doesn’t like talking to me. I’m just so… ordinary.” I paused. “You didn’t tell him, did you?” After all, Tori and Temo were best friends, and for some strange reason, Tori was the only I had entrusted with my secret.
I flinched noticeably as Temo walked by. He casually handed a note to Tori, who nods. “Thanks, Bro. See you second period.” I frowned. I wouldn’t see him until fifth. I mentally began to count down the minutes.
Four and a half excruciating hours later, fifth period rolled around. I took a seat next to Temo. Bless Ms. Banner’s old soul for seating us next to each other. Wordlessly, Temo handed me a carefully penned note, and handed Ms. Banner an early release pass. “I have to go to the dentist,” he said after the old science teacher inquired about what the pass was for. I waited until the door closed behind him, and carefully unfolded the note:
Dear Casey,
I love you. There is no other way to say it, no other way to voice how I feel. I think you are the smartest, funniest, coolest, and by far the most beautiful girl I have ever met in my life. You are far from ordinary, and in fact, I believe you to be extraordinary. I understand if you don’t feel the same way, but if you do, meet me by the bridge after school.

Love Always,

Temo
My heart skipped a beat. Temo liked me? I couldn’t believe it. I had felt so ordinary, so boring. Tori walked up to me, clad with an all knowing smile. “Any after school plans?” I couldn’t help beaming back.
“I’ll be meeting someone at the bridge.”