Let’s … This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Let's do something together,” you say.
“Like what?” I ask.

“Well,” you say, “let's sit and talk on the stone steps after church and laugh about everything and nothing at all. Let's have it be a pure accident. Opportune circumstances. And let's have it be beautiful.

“Let's get up regretfully and bid each other good-bye, with promises to talk again next week. Let's gaze wistfully after each other as we depart.

“Let's make it a habit throughout the summer to talk and laugh on the stone steps after church. Let's look forward to our weekly banter, and let's wonder what the other is thinking as we anticipate seeing each other again.

“Let's be sitting and talking together one Sunday, and let's both be slightly disappointed when I mention that I'm going to my cousin's wedding in Green Bay, and after that I'm spending two weeks in northern Minnesota at camp. Let's say we'll miss each other.

“Let's have a joyful reunion when I return and a long, heartfelt discussion on the church steps. Let's say honestly that we missed each other.

“Let's go slowly into the new school year, always remembering to have our hour on the church steps together. Let's sit out there even on the worst snowy days.

“Let's let time go by, a year or two, and in all that time let's not let our friendship fade. Even as you go to college and I go who-knows-where, let's remain friends.

“Let's keep in touch. Let's one day – even though I have a job by then – get together and hang out, maybe sitting on the stone steps of a church somewhere else. And let's talk for a while, but after another while, let's realize that neither of us feels like talking. So let's sit in silence.

“Then let's kiss. Let's make it beautiful and heartfelt and true. And let's know that we're in love.

“Let's be happy, secure in the knowledge that we were made for each other. Let's let time and life bring everything they've got, while we weather the storm together.

“Let's date. Let's be happy and funny and enjoy each other. Let's walk along beaches and city sidewalks and country roads holding hands. Let's laugh and tease and steal kisses and smile wide when we see each other. Let's be in love.

“Let's be together, some summer night, sitting perhaps on some stone steps, though maybe not of a church. Let's be sitting there, silent like we sometimes are, and then let's both know something special is about to happen.

“‘Let's get married,” I'll say. You'll agree. So let's.

“Let's get married in the church where we met, surrounded by everyone we love. Let's stand in front of the church and forget about everyone else while we promise our lives to each other.

“Let's live in a tiny cottage on the coast of northern Maine. Let's be young and happy and carefree. Let's just live, working a little and playing a lot, like young people tend to do.

“Let's have a crowd of beautiful children. Let's read to them and sing to them and teach them to be good people. Let's sneak into their rooms when they're asleep and marvel at how miraculous they are.

“Let's watch them grow up, survive their adolescence and our midlife crises, and come out the other side wishing they hadn't grown up so fast. Let's quietly live alone again in our northern Maine cottage, just us two, like it was before.

“Now,” you say, “let's come back to now. Let's hold hands. Let's pray that God and your cancer won't take you away from me too soon.”

“Even if they do,” I say, “you know where to find me.”

You smile. “Where?” you ask.

“Right with you,” I say. “Where I've always been.”

Your smile fades. “But you won't be,” you say sadly.

“Says who?” I ask, struggling to sit up in my hospital bed. “You once said, ‘Let's do life together.' So we are. Even if I'm not there the whole way, we are doing it together.”

You smile through tears that cloud your eyes. “Let's,” you say.

TheaterGirl said...
May 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm:
the ending was so unexpected!!!!!!!!!!

KandiceMichelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 8, 2012 at 9:28 am:
This brought me to tears because it was so good!

laughingforeverk said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:51 pm:

This. Is. So. Amazing...

I love it! Don't you ever stop writing!!

Art-Writing44 said...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 9:18 pm:
This was absolutely fenomenal I loved it!!!! It was straight, to the point and had a suprising twist at the end:) great job! keep writing please!

ThatMegan said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 7:47 pm:
Wow! This was AMAZING! I loved it! Wonderful love story! You're a great writer keep it up!

Eggie94 said...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm:
This is so beautiful ^.^ I absolutely love it! Great job!

TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 4:08 pm:
>_> You made me cry!!!

kairi.kaylynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 10:32 am:
Loved it so much!

RedheadAtHeartThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow... thanks, everybody. I feel deluged with more praise than maybe I deserve, but thank you all so much for reading and enjoying! -Red

JulianneV said...
this is amazing

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:19 am:
Really, really stellar. I loved it.

samm513 said...
that was amazing!! i want to cry beautifully sad tears!

nutmeg123 said...
i don't want to say beautiful...it's already been said. but really, this was extremely moving. gorgeous. pulchritudinous. exquisite. i loved it. i usually just skim the magazine, but your piece caught my eye-- and i'm glad. keep it up. :)

purpleink26 said...
this is amazing, i think my heart broke a little reading it!!

Sarah_H said...
This is fantastic. So genuine and real. Awesome job.

GreenEyedGirl15 said...
This was absolutely, positively beautiful in it's entirety! I loved the way the characters planned their lives together, simply loving each other like people should. Your writing is amazing. Your style was new and fun, which I really liked. Keep writing, you're going places my friend.

lexophile12 said...
This is so wonderful. Thank you for your heart.

someonewhoisme said...
Aww that's so sad and cute! Can you read my article? "Society Gets What Society Wants"

Def_Leppard_fan120This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Come check out my article called THE BATTLE and leave a comment on what your thought about it.

otherpoet said...
Wow. This is incredibly heartfelt. I was completely taken aback when the cancer came into play. I love this