My Bestfriend, the Love of My Life | Teen Ink

My Bestfriend, the Love of My Life

By SecretlyWriting BRONZE, Keokuk, Iowa
SecretlyWriting BRONZE, Keokuk, Iowa

Say what you want, but I am who I am and thats something you will never be.

‘I love you Briar. I always have.’ I say this to him now, when he can’t hear me, can’t react. I tell him the truth I’ve been hiding several years now.

The day was August 10th, 2010, at 11:23 am. My mom called me, ‘Katelyn you might want to sit down.’ she said. I was hesitant, but I sat. ‘Alright mom, I’m sitting, what do you need to tell me?’

She waited. Saying nothing. It seems like a lifetime passed, waiting for the bad news. Finally though she told me. ‘Katelyn…I’m so sorry.. bu..but Briar, Briar Horner just died.’

Of Course I didn’t believe her. ‘Your kidding, right mom? Please tell me your joking?’ ‘I wish I was hunny” She whispered slowly.

She picked me up at my dads and took me to the hospital, I’ll never forget the feelings I had as I walked into his room. Tubes in the mouth, I.V.’s in his arms. He was gray. My full of life best friend was GRAY. I walked up to his body, and kissed his forehead and walked out.

August 12th. His visitation. I walked up to his mom. She hugged me and I couldn’t let go. She told me something Briar had told her with his last seconds, Briar had been in love with me. I let go of his mom and walked out, not looking at the pictures of us, as little kids, as teenagers, as best friends.

August 13th, 2010. The day I’ll never forget. I walked in and stood next to my mom, she hugged me. That’s when the Preacher started talking to us about the short lived life of 16-year-old John Briar Eugene Horner, my best friend. The guy I loved for years. Blah, blah was all I heard. Then they brought Briar up to the front. ‘Your better that the best, I’m lucky just to linger in your life. Cooler than the flip side of my pillow, yeah that’s right. Complete unaware, nothing can compare to where you sent me, lets me know that its okay, yeah its okay, and the moments when my good times start to fade, you make me smile like the sun..’ Forever known as Briar’s song. After it was over, everyone walked out, to get in their cars to go to the burial. I stayed behind a little bit. I slowly walked up to his casket, and muttered my final good bye. ‘I love you Briar, I always have.’ Placed two photos of us under his cold hands. One from when we were little, hiding behind the couch. Ill never forget that day, it was the day Brair and I kissed to see what all the fuss was about. Then the last picture of us, we were in his room, playing x-box and getting physical because I was beating him. Then I kissed his frozen cheek, and for the last time, I walked away from the love of my life, knowing it’s only a matter of time until I see his smiling face once more.

This is based on a true story.. Not a day goes by that I dont miss Briar.. RIP JBEH

on Dec. 1 2011 at 10:26 am
SecretlyWriting BRONZE, Keokuk, Iowa

I do. Hes my Angel, always keeping me safe.

on Nov. 30 2011 at 3:15 pm
SecretlyWriting BRONZE, Keokuk, Iowa

on Nov. 28 2011 at 10:37 pm
megpie000 PLATINUM, Marietta, Georgia

"Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord you God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to." Deuteronomy 15:10

All I can say is I cried. Great story and I'm sorry for your loss :/

Mgrobinson said...
on Nov. 25 2011 at 12:03 pm
Mgrobinson, Gainesville, Georgia

Be the change you wish to see in the world- ghandi
Be the potter, not the clay.- me
Love is like pi, natural, irrational, and never ending

That is so sad!

on Nov. 24 2011 at 12:43 pm
SmileyBabe SILVER, Union, Connecticut

"Whatever"

I'm so so sorry!!! Truthfully that actually happened to me. My best friend= love of my life passed away the day I was going to tell him I love him.

on Nov. 23 2011 at 11:43 pm
SecretlyWriting BRONZE, Keokuk, Iowa

Today is his 18th Birthday, it makes it hard to remember these things..

on Nov. 23 2011 at 11:42 pm
SecretlyWriting BRONZE, Keokuk, Iowa

Happy Birthday John Briar Eugene Horner! I love and Miss you!

wilderose121 said...
on Nov. 23 2011 at 12:37 pm
this is beautiful. I'm sorry this had to happen to you. just be glad you were friends instead of enemies with him before he died. that hurts worse and i'm talking from terrible expeirience.

on Nov. 23 2011 at 12:27 pm
Milly.Hester BRONZE, Central City, Kentucky

be who you wanna be not what poeple want you to be

I am very sorry for you lost love. The way you put your words i felt like i was you, loseing my lost love. I cryed for what feels like hours now. Just because i felt like i lost him like you have.

RIP JBEH!

on Nov. 21 2011 at 1:19 pm
SecretlyWriting BRONZE, Keokuk, Iowa

thank you

on Nov. 21 2011 at 12:59 pm
SecretlyWriting BRONZE, Keokuk, Iowa

it was a heart attack..

on Nov. 21 2011 at 12:03 am
MarissaWhitecloud SILVER, Oskaloosa, Iowa
Im sorry for you loss. The way you put your emotions in words were beautiful.

on Nov. 19 2011 at 11:12 pm
Jappyalldayeveryday, Detroit, Michigan

They say that good things take time, but really great things happen in the blink of an eye

I'm sorry for your loss. This was good but I feel like the reader should know how he died.

on Nov. 19 2011 at 9:03 pm
pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

It's okay to daydream.. just as long as you get to do some of those daydreams.

This is so sad. I'm really sorry that happened to you.

on Nov. 19 2011 at 3:12 pm
Kayotic PLATINUM, Goodyear, Arizona

You aren't having fun unless you're commiting sin~ Priest

That is really sad and I am sitting here crying for you and your lost love.I felt that way when I lost my grandpa.I didn't even get to say goodbye.He was my best pal who was always there for me when I was upset.Our favorite treat was frozen grapes.So I know how it feels to lose a loved one but this one seems so painful.I hope you can see that he watches over you from heaven and he will always be with you.