Never Meant To Be | Teen Ink

Never Meant To Be

By BoredAsUsual13 SILVER, Valley Springs, California
BoredAsUsual13 SILVER, Valley Springs, California

"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader."
~Robert Frost

"What would you like me to do?" His blue eyes scanned her face, searching for answers.

"I want you to not be the only thing I think about." Her voice broke and she was whispering. "I want to see you and not have my breath catch or my heart beat speed up."

She bit her bottom lip and glanced up at him, hurriedly brushing a stray lock of brown hair out of her eyes. A nervous breath passed her lips and hands started to shake.

"I think we both know I can't control how you feel." They shared a look between them that was full of sadness and regret.

"How I feel?" Anger at the injustice of what he was saying caused the level of her voice to rise. "I feel like my world is crashing down around me. Like a child who just built the biggest block tower only to have it smashed before their eyes."

She balled up her hands into fists and showed them into her pockets. "I hate seeing you and smiling instantly. I hate laughing at the crazy things you do. I hate how you're the only guy that makes me tongue tied and out there. But most of all I hate how much I want you."

He started to say something but her look of sadness mixed with regret had melted into a withering one.

"Save it!" She watched as pain passed over the features of his face before he put up his usual mask. He was a blank slate, no sign of emotion. Then he cracked his usual goofy smile and shrugged.

"Guess it was never meant to be..." A small laugh escaped from him and he looked around them at the houses lining the street.

Suddenly the feeling that they were the only two people in the world slipped away and she could hear the faint rustling of the breeze passing through the trees. The chill of night air hit her hard and she shivered.

Looking back at each other she said, "We were never meant to be..."

Short story that isn't exactly about a break up but there is the end of something in it.

on Nov. 17 2011 at 7:43 pm
pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

It's okay to daydream.. just as long as you get to do some of those daydreams.

i love this!!!

on Nov. 14 2011 at 9:07 pm
StarryRoss GOLD, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Writing is the socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." -E.L. Doctorow

i liked her frustration and telling him exactly what she hated so much, and even though it was good things, she was so beside herself in hate she couldn't say it in a flirting way (which she shouldn't/wouldn't have anyway) the dialogue is believable, very nice descriptions. I like how laid back he is, which probably makes her want him more, and the fact that this outburst makes him a tad bit nervous. The line of something like "i hate how you make me tongue tied and out there" sounds awkward, but she is a distraught girl - its okay if it comes out awkward if that's what she says. The last line, however, seems a bit forced and a little out of tone with the whole story, and based on the characters' dialogue, it feels like she wouldn't have said that, at least not in that moment. Maybe add something about how she thought they were meant to be, or he implied they were. Seems almost random besides it being the title. I dunno, just opinion, but you don't have to make it the last line even if you title it that. Or add a little more. That's just being very critical, otherwise great job :)

on Nov. 14 2011 at 9:00 pm
DanaChele BRONZE, West Branch, Michigan
I loved reading this!

on Nov. 14 2011 at 4:29 pm
Aerobeast SILVER, W Harrison, Indiana
Very well written. Loved the imagery! Loved it as a whole! Keep writing!