Homecoming? | Teen Ink

Homecoming?

By up_and_coming SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
up_and_coming SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

"Hakuna Matata."

“Kelsey, snap out of it!” Jenna said loudly.

I tore my eyes away from Ryan and his new senior girlfriend.

Ever since the July before freshmen year, Ryan had been texting me nonstop. He was so sweet to me and made me feel special. Oh… and he just happened to be a JUNIOR. But once school started and we finally met and talked in person, he had pulled away slightly. One day he was hugging me and asking me to hang out. The next day he was totally ignoring me and had a new girlfriend. Then one week later, he began talking to me again. Then… he got ANOTHER girlfriend.

And people say GIRLS are moody…

“You’re torturing yourself,” Jenna said softly.

“How can I NOT?” I whined. “I’m pathetic. And he thinks I’m just some annoying freshman.”

“But you ARE an annoying freshman,” Jenna joked. I smiled weakly and closed my eyes, burying my face in my hands. We were at the last football game of the season and the entire student body of our high school seemed to be there.

“How do you get over someone?” I asked.

Jenna sighed and thought for a moment. “You just move on. You have to be patient. It takes time. But when you do move on… it’s one of the best feelings in the world to know that you’re liberated, in a way.”

I gazed down at the field, watching the players tackle each other. Number 16. Tucker. There he was. I had such a knack for picking him out in a crowd.

“I think the best way to move on…” Jenna said quietly, “is to find someone else to move on to.”

I looked at her. “Are you referring to Tucker?”

She raised her shoulders indifferently. “Personally, I think it’s better for you to crush on someone in your own grade than on an upperclassmen who won’t give you the time of day. Besides, Tucker’s a sweet guy. You’ve known him forever. I think he’d be good for you.”

“Oh yeah. Sure… If he actually liked me.”

She shrugged. “You never know.”

I tried to meet her eyes but she wouldn’t look at me. “Jenna? Do you know something I don’t?”

“What?” she asked. “No.”

I scrunched my eyebrows together. “Seriously, Jenna.”

This time she met my eyes. “I don’t. I swear. I was just saying that it’s a possibility that he does like you. Don’t count yourself out just yet.”

I sighed and shook my head. “Ok. Whatever.”

The whistle blew that signaled the end of the game and the players all made their way to the sideline. We had won the game and the crowd was going wild while the cheerleaders suddenly took the field. That was weird. They looked like they were getting ready to do a routine… But the game was over… I saw Jenna turn around and whisper something to a group of boys behind us.

“What are the cheerleaders doing?” I asked Jenna. “The game’s over.”

Jenna shrugged. “They’re probably doing a celebration dance!”

A song started playing and they all began to dance. I saw everyone else looking a little confused, too. And then I wasn’t looking at the cheerleaders. I was looking at the sky. The group of guys that had been sitting behind Jenna and me had picked me up and were now carrying me down the bleachers and onto the field.

“Guys! What’s going on? Put me down!” I shrieked. They just continued to carry me onto the field and then set me down in front of the cheerleaders. The guys then proceeded to jump into the middle of the cheerleaders and began dancing, too. I had no clue what was going on.

Suddenly, the music stopped and they all formed a line right in front of my. The five cheerleaders and five guys in the center of the line then stepped forward and lifted up their shirts. Spelled out on their stomachs were the letters that made the word “Homecoming”.

I opened my mouth, totally shocked and confused.

Then, I melted. Tucker was suddenly in front of me, lifting up his shirt to reveal a giant question mark on his stomach. He was holding roses.

My eyes were probably as big as the full moon hanging right above us.

“So?” he asked in his warm, deep voice. “What do you say?”

I couldn’t find my voice. I simply threw my arms around him, football pads and all.

The crowd behind us cheered and the cheerleaders shook their pom poms furiously. Tucker pulled back and grinned. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

I kissed his cheek, not sure that anyone had ever been as happy as I was. Turning around, I saw Ryan staring at us with tightly clenched fists and a red face. I wrapped my arm around Tucker's waist and smiled, waving to the crowd of celebrating high schoolers. They all cheered even louder, throwing their hats and wolf whistling. I felt Tucker's arm drape over me and thought, with a very light heart, I had finally moved on.

XxilybbyxX SILVER, Saginaw, Michigan

Sometimes we build up walls, not to keep people out; but to see who cares enough to break them down.

this was amazing!! keep it up :)

Eggie94 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 5 2011 at 9:56 am
Eggie94 BRONZE, Palmdale, California

"With great power comes great responsibility" --Bruce Wayne

I like the plot of this story but I was kind of confused by how quickly she just forgot about Ryan and moved on...the whole story seemed a little too fast paced for me. It was a really good start just keep working:)