The Break-up Letter | Teen Ink

The Break-up Letter

By Samantha Germano SILVER, New City, New York
Samantha Germano SILVER, New City, New York

Dear Dependent Boy ,

This letter is called a break up letter. Now, instead of telling you that it’s not you, it’s me, I am going to have to say that this is your fault. Let’s think back to the beginning when we first started going out. It should have been a warning sign when you always told me I needed to put on more makeup or that I needed to wear something that showed more skin. I was so caught up in finally finding someone that liked me back that all your faults were oblivious to me. The times where you would ditch me to go to a party I was not invited to only made me think that you were just trying to have fun with your friends. Little did I know you were getting other girls’ numbers and telling them that the bond you have with them is a secret bond that no one could know about. Well, you got what you wanted, right? You should be happy now that you can still go to those parties without me and do your same routine. The only thing that will be different this time is that I won’t be sitting in my room, alone, smiling and foolishly thinking about how I have the best boyfriend in the world.
Now that I think of it, if you wanted to be with other girls, then what was I there for? Oh, I know. So you can take a girl with a heart full of emotion and just destroy it completely. You used me as a backup, when you had nothing better to do with your life. I imprudently thought that our relationship was going to last forever and after all the fights we would have you would hold me and tell me you loved me. Unfortunately, I didn’t have that fairy tale story you see in movies; I had a relationship with you and that’s as bad as it gets. To make life easier for you, you can tell people that you ended things with me. The sooner we end things, the healthier my life will be.
Funny enough, I did learn something from you. I learned to not let the assholes in life take advantage of you. To speak out loud without letting people shut you out. Coming out of our relationship helped me realize the imperfections I have and how I can make them stronger. You stripped away the person that I never want to be, and I truly want to thank you for that. From walking all over me, you left footprints that forever changed who I am. The day I got a glimpse of reality was the day I started walking, leaving you behind to call one of your backups.

Sincerely,
Independent Girl