Peppermints and Cigarettes

"Things have been difficult lately." I murmured across the table. My fingers brushed over the soft, smooth wood of it. He didn't look up and neither did I. We both stared at the table intently. My fingers brushed over the soft wood as his twirled one of his many knives. He had a strange obsession with weapons but knives were his specialty. He could make a weapon out of electrical tape and scissors. I've seen him do it.
"Who said this was going to be easy?" he said, finally breaking the silence. His voice was deep, dark and smooth. Alluring and seductive to say the least. I gulped, staring at him. He was damned sexy. He was tall and thin and built out of muscles. His stomach was carved, but every part of him was carved. He had this defensive way of walking, like he was ready to kill someone for me. Thick, muscular veins ran up and down his arms. his fingers were long and soft. Strange how soft and delicate his hands were when he was practically made out of cement. His jaw was squared and set right now as he thought deeply in aggravation. He had the most gorgeous lips. Full and dark pink. His hair was cropped short and black. Just my style. I loved dark hair. I'd never date a blonde. I was just turned on by dark hair. It was his eyes though. They were wide and brown but not dark brown, nothing hidden. They were a light, warm brown with chips of gold in them. I sometimes just stared up at him, unable to look away.
"What?" he asked, smiling in curiosity. Sometimes I wondered how someone as beautiful as him could love someone as ugly as me. I always knew he was comfortable with me though. He had this...look he did. He would smile and his eyelids would droop every so slightly, like a cat bathing in the sun. This made me move around the table and do my usual embrace. I looped my arm through his and lay my head on his shoulder, staring up at that angelic face. He looked down and did the Cat Look. I smiled. I wanted to kiss him all the time, touch him all the time. I felt like a perve but when I kissed him, there was nothing sexual about it. Nothing shallow, nothing perverted. Just the purest, most natural feeling in the world. Like these kisses were proof that we were supposed to be together. In my mind, I called them our "Little, Stolen Fairy Kisses" because there was nothing more magical in the world than feeling his smooth, warm lips on mine. He had the most delicious taste. he tasted sweet and smoky- peppermints and cigarettes. I couldn't get enough.
"Nothing will ever be simple for us, my dear. I'm an assassin and you are a princess." he said quietly, rubbing his hand down my hair. He loved touching my hair. I must have used three bottles of conditioner since I met him and straightened it over 500 times. I tried to keep it as straight and silky as possible. Just for him. I leaned into him, pressing my lips into his. When he tried to break away, I pressed my hand onto the back of his neck and pressed him in deeper. I was stubborn. Kissing him was like cocaine and I wasn't going to stop until I got my fix. He was so shy, so proper. He never wanted to go "too far" when it came to the physical part of our relationship. Not that I'd mind. I had sewed my heart to his long ago. I trusted him fully.
"I'm not a princess. If anything, I'm a demon and you're an angel." He laughed to himself.
"You are so sweet and caring, though. You have such a good nature." I smiled bitterly.

How wrong he was...

withAMO This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is so well-written! i can visualize every word of it! luv it!

breatheinOctober replied...
Thank you so much! That means so much to me!

breatheinOctober said...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 10:58 am
Thank you so much! This honestly means the world to me. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY IT KEEPS MESSING UP MY QUOTES THOUGH?!?!?!

singingwriter14 said...
This is really good. I love the detailed descriptions. I hope there's more to come because I can't wait! :-)

BrownEyedGirl said...
I really liked it!

steph95 said...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 6:31 am

really loved it... its really good.

i really enjoyed reading it.... :) waiting for more...

breatheinOctober replied...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 11:03 am
Ok, I will write a second part right now and see if it is as liked by others as it is by you all. Thank you all so much for your encouraging feedback and support. It means so much to me and I'm excited to finally get some of my work out there. :) Please keep it coming.

emolover95 said...
This is really good. I love how you describe everything. You really show the story instead of telling it. I love it. The way you ended it really made me want to read more. Keep writing! :)

breatheinOctober replied...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 10:57 am
Thank you so much. I'm so excited to have support. I in no way thought anyone was going to care about this. It means the world to me. Thank you so much.

emolover95 replied...
Oct. 1, 2011 at 8:28 am
No problem. I believe that you are a truly fantastic writing and that someday you'll have a book of your own published.

breatheinOctober replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 9:46 am
Thank you so much. You have no idea how much that means to me. Unfortunately, the boy I wrote this about ended up cheating on me so we are no longer together. But my new boyfriend and I have been together for two and a half months. :) Thank you so much for your support. Feel free to message me any time you need an opinion on any writing or any help with anything. :)

emolover95 replied...
I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend, but i think that when you're feeling such powerful emotions it's the best time to write. So keep going with this story, so that fans, like me, can keep reading quality writing. :)