Oh, Love. | Teen Ink

Oh, Love.

By breemartiniii SILVER, Clarksville, Tennessee
breemartiniii SILVER, Clarksville, Tennessee

"A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." -Robert Frost

After waiting half of the school year, it was finally spring break in the small town of Clarksville, Tennessee. "Bree, wait up!" I heard my long-term crush/best friend, Blake call. When I turned around, there he was. Blake David Walker, the most amazing site to see. Tall, tan, and muscular, with a smile that could make any girl melt. After day dreaming for a few seconds, I came back to reality. "Bree! Bree!?" Oh no, I'd drowned out his voice with my fantasies. "Oh, yes?" I asked with a smile. "So, it's spring break, and my family is going to Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky! Are you down for it?" he asked excitingly. "Of course! I don't think my mom will mind," I replied. Alone time with Blake? I'd be crazy to pass up such an offer! As we parted, all I could think about was seeing Blake shirtless on the beach. It was such a scrumptious picture.
Soon enough, I pulled into my driveway. Excited to hear my mom sigh a "Yes, that's fine." I ran up the walkway and into the house, slamming my car keys onto the counter and bouncing on my toes. "Mom, hey! How much do you love me?" I jokingly asked. "Oh, no. What do you want now?" she sarcastically replied. "Blake's family is going to LBL for spring break, and he invited me. I said that I could. Is that okay?" I hopefully yelped. "Well, okay. You kids have fun," she sighed. My mom is a hard working, single mother. We don't have the most stable relationship, but it's not too bad.
I skipped down the hallway on the way to my bedroom. As I dashed in, I jumped onto my bed and pulled out my phone. "Blake, hey. She said yes. :)" I texted. Of course, my contacts new him as "BlakeyBaby" but, that was my little secret. I closed my eyes, and began daydreaming once again. About five minutes later, I was snapped back to the real world by my ring tone. Six unread messages, and an incoming call from Blake. I smiled at this site. "Yellow?" I answered. "Green!" he laughed. "Ha ha, very funny! What's up, sir Blake?" I joked. "Just called to say that you have twenty minutes until my truck is sitting in your drive!" he excitingly informed me. "Gotcha! I'll be ready," I replied. "Later, gater!" he said. I hung up. Is this really happening to me? Please tell me this isn't a dream.
I gathered my belongings, and waited in the living room. Exactly twenty minutes after he called, there his truck was. He's such a time freak. I love it.
I opened his truck door only to hear "A Little More Country Than That" by Easton Corbin blasting on the radio. He quickly turned the music down and flashed a smile. I stood outside of the truck, staring at his flawless face. "Waiting for an invitation?" he smiled. "Oh, right," I said as I climbed into his truck. It was a big, black Ford made in 2008. It fit his personality completely. We exchanged "Hellos" and pulled out of the driveway. During the ride, we talked about whether we liked Clarksville High School or Rossview High School better. A bleak silence fell upon us. "Party In the USA" filled the air. His phone was ringing. "Um?" I laughed. He laughed, embarrassed. "Hello?" he answered. I began answering my unread texts, drowning out his conversation. "Score!" he yelped, scaring me. "My mom said to just head straight to the lake house. You ready for this?" he said excitingly. "You know it!" I smiled.
The car ride was entertaining, but over quickly. As we arrived at the lake house, I was overwhelmed with all of the hugs. "Bree! Come on, girly!" Blake called. I jogged into the room upstairs only to find Blake shirtless. It was better than I imagined. After staring for a couple minutes, I smiled. "Here," I said. "Hey, you! Get in your bikini. We're going swimming," he informed me. "Okay," I said with a smirk.
I opened the bathroom door, only to find myself face to face with Blake. "Creeper!" I laughed. He grabbed my hand and dragged me downstairs. "Mom, we're going swimming," he said. "Alright, have fun! Oh, be back by six! Dad's grilling for dinner!" she called. He agreed, and pulled me outside.
After a couple minutes of running, we reached the dock. We looked at each other, and I released his hand. Our eye contact broke as I looked down at the rippling water. "Jump in." I dared Blake. His eyes lit up, and his beautiful smile was shown. He was always up for a dare. Seconds later, I was splashed with water. I laughed, as he grabbed my hand and pulled me into the water. As I reached the surface, I was pleased to find his arms around my waist. I flung my arms around his neck and we both smiled. I giggled. Our lips were only and inch away, and our skin was pressed against one another's.
"Want to know my secret?" he asked, still holding onto me. "You know my answer," I said flirtatiously. "I know this really amazing girl that I like way too much." he confessed. "Oh, really? What's her name?" I asked. "Bree Walker. A beautiful name for a beautiful girl." he smiled. I smiled back, and leaned towards him. His lips pressed mine, as my legs wrapped around his muscular waist. We drew back and he pressed his forehead against mine. It was the perfect moment. "Blake! Bree! It's six!" Ms. Walker called. He sighed, annoyed. "Coming!" he yelled.
We walked to the lake house, hand in hand. "This is way to perfect," I thought to myself. He looked at me and smiled. "Yes?" I smiled. "I'm not allowed to look at my beautiful girlfriend?" he asked, smiling. "Girlfriend?" I smiled. "Are you okay with that?" he asked. "Of course." I happily said.
We finally reached the house. He held the door open for me. I was wondering what I did to deserve this. After dinner, we had a bonfire. It was rather interesting. We all had to confess one thing. Blake's confession was by far my favorite. "Well, my confession is rather embarrassing to say in front of Bree," Blake said as he turned to me. "Bree, I've liked you for three years," he said shyly. I smiled, and kissed him passionately. "Get a room!" his dad joked. "I always knew you two would end up together." Mrs. Walker smiled. I was pleased to hear that. By the look on Blake's face, I gathered that he was pleased, too.
Finally, it was time to go to bed. Blake and I were the last to go. As we slowly walked upstairs, he swept me off my feet and carried me into the bedroom. "Put me down!" I laughed. "If it's down you want, then it's down you're going to get!" he said as he tossed me onto the bed. I laughed as he jumped down beside me. He kissed my forehead as we lied together. My hand slid up and down his chest as he whispered sweet nothings. Soon enough, we fell asleep.
I woke up before Blake did, and tried to slide out of his arms. Once I succeeded, I tip-toed to the bathroom. As soon as I was done showering, I got dressed and put my face on. As I walked back to the bedroom, I ran into Blake's dad. "Good morning, Bree!" he exclaimed cheerfully. "Good morning, Mr. Walker," I smiled. "Can you do me a really big favor?" he asked. "Sure, anything," I said quickly. "Tell Blake that we're leaving in about an hour. His Aunt Lisa is in the hospital. She had a heart attack," he said sorrily. "Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry, I'll let him know," I replied. As I walked off, I heard him whisper, "Thanks, dear."
Upon entering the room, I noticed that Blake was lying awake in bed. I looked at him with a sad expression. "What's wrong?" he asked, sitting up. I told him the news. Quickly, he got dressed, brushed his teeth, and ran downstairs. This time, he didn't take me with him. I understood, though. I grabbed my American Eagle beach tote and lugged it outside and into the car. As I walked inside, Blake grabbed my hand and thanked me for joining him on the trip. I smiled, kissed him, and walked to the car. "I'll be there in two minutes!" he called. "Oh, no. Not his OCD timing again." I said to myself, laughing.
Blake and I were the first to leave. "I'm going to drop you off. I wish I could spend more time with you, but, I have to head down to Georgia to see my aunt." he said, frowning. "I understand. Try to smile, honey. I know it's hard to smile at a time like this, but you're strong. You can help your aunt get through this," I assured. "Thanks, Bree," he smiled.
After an hour of driving, we arrived at my house. We both got out and walked to my door. "You can just set my bag down on the sidewalk," I said. After doing so, he wrapped his arms around me. I placed my left hand on his cheek, and my right hand on his chest. We kissed intimately for several minutes. Finally, I pulled away. "You better get going. Drive safe, Blake," I said with a smile. "I will," he replied. I watched him walk to his truck, as I counted his footsteps. They were widely spaced, as if he was afraid of stepping in the same driveway square twice. He opened his door, and turned to me. "Bree," he said, looking at me. "Yeah?" I asked. "I love you," he said calmly. I paused for a moment, wondering if I had really just heard his sweet voice speak those words. "I love you, too," I replied. He smiled at me, blew me a kiss, and climbed into his truck. I watched him drive away before going inside.
As I walked inside, I called my for my Mom. I then checked to see if her car was in the driveway. "Not here. I didn't even notice," I thought to myself. I walked slowly into my room, replaying his three words. "Bree, I love you." I sighed. I couldn't help but laugh at myself. I always swore that I'd never fall in love. My phone vibrated, and I quickly grabbed it out of my purse. I looked at my screen, and was filled with butterflies when I saw the name "BlakeyBaby" printed across my phone's screen. "Hey, baby. I already miss you. Smiles. <3" I read. "Miss you, too, love." I replied. Soon after, I fell asleep.
I awoke to my doorbell ringing repeatedly. "Coming!" I yelled, frustrated. I opened the door to see Blake's parents standing there. "Hey! What are you guys doing here?" I asked pleasantly. "Bree." Mr. Walker said sadly. "What's wrong? Is everything okay?" I asked, worried. "Blake.." he said. "Yes? What about him?" I asked impatiently. "He got in a car accident," he said sadly. Mrs. Walker began sobbing. "Is he okay? He's alive, right? Please tell me he's okay!" I cried. "He..well, he didn't make it," he said with a tear sliding down his face. "No. You're lying. That's not funny," I assured myself. Mr. Walker's face grew red as more tears began falling. "I know it hurts. Trust me, I know," he sobbed. I took a few steps back and closed the door. I pressed my back up against the wall, and slid down onto the floor. As I sat against the wall, I brought my knees to my chest and put my head onto my arms which were crossed on top of my knees. I cried for several hours. Finally, I managed to stop crying. "Oh, love," I whispered to myself. I then got up, and rushed into my Mother's bathroom, grabbing a syringe. I filled the syringe with air, and inserted it into my blood stream.
Hours later, my mother arrived home. Upon seeing my lifeless body, she dialed 911. She then checked my phone, only to see several missed calls from Mr. Walker. She called him back hysterical. After hearing the news, he explained everything. He then added that Blake had been revived. My mother hung up, and cried continuously.

Oh, love.