His Eyes | Teen Ink

His Eyes

His eyes were beautiful, the kind you don’t see very often. The ones that shine even when you’re sad or angry, the ones that glimmer in the dark, the ones that don’t lose their brightness, whether its 100 degrees or -20 degrees. His eyes sparkle and shine from a million miles away. These blue eyes are the most beautiful eyes in the world.

I was sitting in math class, as usual during fourth period. I hated math more than anything, it was the most boring subject in the world, until he came along. My teacher was explaining something about geometry and talked forever. The principal walked in just then and started to talk about someone who just moved here from New York. I looked up right as he walked in. Our eyes met, I wouldn’t dare take my eyes away from his, and I’m pretty sure he felt the same way.

For the first time ever, I was glad I was the only person in the class that sat alone. He would have to sit by me. I fixed my hair quickly to make sure I looked okay. He walked to the back of the room to sit at my table. After math, we both walked into the hallway and finally our eyes met again.

He came in the next day, he walked to the back of the room again and sat to the left of me. I heard him take a breath, he said, “Hey.”
“Hey,” I responded in a very nervous voice.
“I’m sorry I never introduced myself, but you probably heard from the principal yesterday that my name is James, I just moved here from Chicago.”
“I’m Kristen, it’s nice to meet you.”Then I sighed, what should I say? Could I be any less interesting? But then, I brought up what classes he was in and we were in the same P.E. class!
The next day, he asked me out. Our first date was going to a movie. Classic. It was really nice; I thought I was in love with him. It turns out I was.
He wasn’t at school the next day, so I texted him asking where he was and telling him how much I missed him. The reply said, “This is James’ mom, he’s in the hospital if you want to come and see him he’s in room 206.”
Right after school, I rushed to the hospital. I saw his mom crying in a chair by his bed when I walked into the room. He looked pale and full of pain. He was asleep at the moment.
His mom looked up and wiped her tears with a tissue. “What’s going on?” I asked.
“He’s been developing appendicitis, we didn’t even know it, and now there’s almost no chance he’ll survive, because it’s too late.”
I felt tears come to my own eyes, as I looked at his half dead body.
“I’ll try to wake him up for you,” his mom said.
I looked into his eyes as he woke up. The beautiful eyes I’d always loved. I said goodbye, because I couldn’t stand to be there anymore.
When I woke up in the morning, I was tired from not getting much sleep. My phone was vibrating in my pocket, then I picked it up. It was James’ mom, “He’s gone.”
Then I started to cry.

I was inspired for this story by the stories on teen ink that are romance articles.