The Art of Inquiry | Teen Ink

The Art of Inquiry

By knightsky GOLD, Wellington, Florida
knightsky GOLD, Wellington, Florida
18 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Who says that it has to be a guy who asks the girl to prom? Who says that every dance can't be Sadie Hawkins? Who says I can't just walk up to him and ask him to prom? No one. Except for myself. You know what, I'm gonna do it. I'm just gonna walk up to him and ask, "Hey, wanna go to prom with me?" Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Try and stop me.
No seriously, please stop me. There's no way this is going to end well. And even if there was a possibility he'd say yes, could I even ask? Like not is it socially unacceptable if I do, but like can I physically get myself to? I doubt it. Maybe I should just let the whole idea go. Going dateless to prom wouldn't be so bad, right? I mean I have my friends. Some of them are going dateless. I won't appear that outcast-ish, will I? But I so wanna go with him. He's so adorable and just the sweetest. But I know will never ask me, so then the only possibility of going with him lies with me asking him. But I'm so afraid. Afraid of approaching him, afraid of asking, afraid of rejection, afraid of humiliation. I mean what would he even say if I did. He's a nice guy, what if I ask and he only says yes out of pity for me? That'd be ten times more humiliating than him just saying no. And what if he does say no? I would risk losing my dignity, and right now that's really all I have left. Is it worth the risk? Do I even stand the chance? All my guy friends say go for it. They wouldn't tell me to if they didn't think it would end well would they? And they all are friend with him. Do they know something I don't? Is he into me? And do they all know it? And think that having me ask is just necessary for improvement in my own self-confidence? I have been lacking in self-confidence lately...Maybe I'm making too much of this. I tend to overanalyze things. Maybe I should just ask. Or maybe I should just forget about it. Oh I don't know. All I do know is I have to ask soon or else I'll miss my chance. That is, if I stand a chance.
Ohhh there he is and alone what luck! Come on, you got this! Just walk up to him and ask. Can't be that hard right? Just remember, the worst thing he can do is say no. But what if he does say no? No, don't think like that. You know you'll regret it if you don't ask. He's right there. Just walk up and say, "Hey Sean, will you got to prom with me?" You can do this.
"Hey Sean..." I say trailing off, the butterflies in my stomach preventing me from getting any further in my one sentence speech.
"Oh hey! What's up?" He asks with a smile.
Gosh his dimples are so adorable! No, focus! Go on, ask him! What are you waiting for?! "I was um...wondering if..." Oh god! I can't do this! "if you written down the math assignment? I totally forgot to copy it down today. I can be so scatterbrained sometimes."
"Uh yeah....It was page 217, numbers 1-19. Odds only." He says, running his fingers through his curly brown hair causing the butterflies to flutter even more than they already were. I didn't think that was even possible.
"Thanks. See you around." I say and walk away without asking. Without managing that one line. That one simple question. Guess I'll never know what would have happened, but I do know this: I was right. I do regret not asking.

KAuthor said...
KAuthor, Wayne, Pennsylvania
I love the attitude of this article! Nice!