Tutored To Be Loved Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

Tutored To Be Loved Chapter 1

My height isn’t that typical for a freshman, and I’d pretty much say that some middle school kids are taller than me. I’m not into anyone at this moment, because I figured that it’d waste my time. I have a best friend, Sarah, and she’s about five- foot six. I’m about four-foot ten. See the difference? I mean, it’s cool and all to be short, but my athletic ability isn’t that good. Especially in basketball, because people are so tall and I can’t reach the ball and grab it. The only reason my height is stunted is because of my hypothyroidism. I do get called nicknames at school, and by now, I know that God made me this way. Some people don’t accept the way I am and how I’m secure with myself. Some people say that I was pregnant in seventh grade, and I got surgery on my stomach.
Others say I’m just anorexic and hate food. Those two reasons are false. For one, I never even kissed a guy or did anything intimate, so that cannot be possible. Secondary, why would I want to be anorexic? I love food, too, and people just feel big compared to me. I may not have the athletic ability that some people expect out of me, but I do have the mental ability. I’ve gotten straight A’s since third grade. I’ve been holding that record for a long time. I can be considered a geek or a nerd, but it doesn’t really hold me back a lot. I mean, if they actually study and take their time doing their homework out of school instead of copying in homeroom, then they can be intelligent and maybe become a tutor for others.
I’m also considered a band geek, and have been playing since fifth grade. Knowing that music is my passion, I know that socially, I’m not that good at it. The only friend I have is Sarah. She’s always been there for me since third grade. We’ve been through everything together. With fifth grade mini parties, bullies through eighth grade, and every club that includes helping out people that are in need, she’s always there. We haven’t gotten to the shaky part of the friendship yet, where a boy comes into our lives. Luckily, we’re still staying strong and trying not to tear our friendship down like Maddie and Alex has. Maddie and Alex are the two most popular, prettiest girls in the school. The freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior guys all fall for those two!
“Did you hear,” Sarah asked me.
“No what?”
“Maddie is going out with Sean.”
“Sean?”
“ Adams .”
“Sean Adams, the one who’s six-foot five?”
“Yeah,” She replied.
“Whoa, that’s just… wow,” I commented.
“I know.”

“I don’t think they’ll be a good couple.”
“Why?”
“He needs to just be shorter.”
“Height doesn’t really need to be important in a relationship.”
“But its Sean, he’s like a tree!”
“Still, we’ll see later on in the year.” I told her.
After that news, I knew right away that Maddie and Alex won’t be best friends anymore. A week later, there was drama with them two, and hadn’t made up ever since. Because I’m not social able with people at high school, I’m friends with my teacher. I’ve been debating with my history teacher, Ms. Lannen, about Mark Linen’s candidacy for president, and talking to Mr. Stanley about Geometry.
My life can be boring at times, when everyone is at parties, I’m either doing homework, read chapters that need to be read by the end of the following week, or practicing my instrument to try to end up in first chair. Speaking of band, Sean is a trombone player in the band with me. Huh, I wonder why I never realized it. He’s an incredible trombone player, especially for a freshman. He’s confusing to read, like he makes sounds in the middle of class. Sean also is perverted, of course, but can be sweet and nice based on what other girls say. And I know that for a fact because I’ve caught him once, with Sarah’s friend Ally. Ally’s in the band too, and is talented, but sort of plays bland. A lot of oboe players are like that, surprisingly. I wonder what Sean will be like...

I was inspired by this trombone player, then I twisted everything up to become a dramatic, romantic story. Enjoy@