The Choice | Teen Ink

The Choice

By LauraMay DIAMOND, Argyle, New York
LauraMay DIAMOND, Argyle, New York

Be who you are. Don't be anything less.
Strength isn't just measured by how much pain you can take.

I remember those times, not so long ago. Times filled with hope and faith, happy memories. I guess looking around now, you would have never known those even existed. The world as we know it, is crumbling down. I feel like I can see what used to be, but very faintly. I can see that last day with you, how it felt. It was the best last day ever… and one of the hardest.

I can see sunshine through my partially closed eyes; I can smell the dew of the morning. Opening my eyes, I see you are still sleeping. Oh, how you look like an angel. So soft and sweet; I can hardly control myself. Sighing, I roll over and get out of bed. It’s hard to leave, but I must. I have to get dressed, but looking at him again, my will has crumbled to the floor. I forget what I’m doing; it was like my body was being gravitated over to him, almost like I had never left.

You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. I know in my heart, that I would rather die than to see him hurt, even by me. It made me question myself. What am I doing to him? Would I hurt him? How could I live with myself?

The choice I have to make makes me want to cry. It feels like my soul is being ripped in two; one part keeps telling me to stay, to live a happy life with the man I love. The other, crueler, part tells me to leave him before I get more emotionally attached. How can choose when both choices make me feel like a failure?