My Sunrise | Teen Ink

My Sunrise

By technicallyimyours BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
technicallyimyours BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

"if you love someone put their name in a circle, instead of a heart, because hearts can break, but circles go on forever."

My Sunrise

The sun is bright outside, all I can hear are the birds singing their hearts out above me. Smooth and slick with morning dew, the grass lays flat beneath me. My eyes are closed tightly but I can still see the light from the early morning sun shining through my eyelids. It is the beginning of summer and I feel relieved to know that school will be gone out of my life for two whole months. No more drama, tests, teachers, or homework. Summer is probably my favorite season for that reason.
My white sundress is free flowing on me and is spread across the top of me almost like a blanket. I weave my hands through the grass, plucking random pieces of it when I see fit. My world has never been so peaceful, so beautiful until now. I’m actually looking for the beauty in it now, unlike during the school year when all I can see are the flaws with our world, with our existence. During the summer though, I feel free, just like the birds flying above me. As if all my troubles and worries have just vanished in mid air behind me.
Love and boys are close in my mind currently. It’s hard to think that I’m only eighteen and I am in love. Not the silly love that most high school students think they are in where two people hold hands, kiss, and that’s about it. I have shared my entire life with this person. He knows everything about me, and I only want him. I want to wake up to him every morning from here on, I want to have children with him and watch them grow up to be just like him, I just want to lay in his arms for the rest of eternity because I know it is the only place that I am truly safe in this world. Not even the summer can save me the way he does.
My eyes open slowly at the thought of him. Heart racing, I sit up quickly and stare up at the sky. It hurts me now to not be with him. It has only been half a day since we saw each other last and yet it feels like centuries. I want to stare into his eyes and fall away from this world.
I stand up slowly and brush the back of my dress off forcefully. I have to tell him everything now. I have to tell him how much I care, how much I want him. My white Ked sneakers thud against the ground loudly as I run down the grassy hill at the neighborhood playground to get to my car that has been sitting in the parking lot since I got here at six thirty this morning. I feel like a mad person as I turn the key in the ignition and speed off down the road to get to his house.
My mind raced with thoughts of what his reaction would be. We had just told each other last night when he walked me to my car that we loved each other for what, the thousandth time? Would Juliet have reacted this way? I had always wanted a romance like Romeo and Juliet’s, minus the suicide part of course. I would die for him though. There was no point in living if he wasn’t always going to be at my side. I needed him. He was my force field.
It was only eight in the morning so the roads were practically empty on this beautiful Saturday morning. Most of my fellow classmates were still asleep from the long night of graduation parties they had attended last night. I was almost to his house when I began to get a strong nervous feeling in my stomach. That one feeling that you get when something bad is about to happen. The feeling when you get way too anxious.
His house was in view now and I saw that his car was absent. Where would he be at this time in the morning? Last night I had begged him to come with me to watch the sunrise and he had told me that he would be too busy to do anything tomorrow. Maybe he was really going to a party last night and he was still there. Why wouldn’t he have told me though?
Once again my mind began to race with ideas and fears of what he could be up to . What if he found a girl at the party, what if something happened? Was I going insane? My perfect guy, the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with was missing in action and I had no idea what to think of it. In the end I decided to go back to the park, where I could regain my calm and return to my peaceful place.
When I arrived I immediately walked up the small grassy hill and plopped down in the grass. I had always heard about the stuff that happened at overnight graduation parties. Would he really cheat on me though? We had never had a single issue in our relationship, why would he need to cheat?
Then suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, a piece of bright orange paper attached to a tree caught my eye. I could see writing on it, so I rose slowly and walked over to the tree. It was a sticky note that had my name on it with a comma after it. I looked at the other side of the tree to find another one that said, will you, with another comma after it. My heart was racing now. I searched for the next note but couldn’t find it. Turning back to where I had once sat I saw one lying on the ground.
Without even thinking, I ran over to it and snatched it up off the ground. The next words on the paper made me gasp for breath and my heart seemed to jump into my mouth. Marry me? There was a noise behind me and I turned to see him kneeling there with a ring box opened. Tears were forming in my eyes and as I walked over to him he said simply:
“You are better than some sunrise, because when I see you I feel the same way you feel when you watch the sunrise. Will you please allow me to see you every morning?”

I really liked this piece. It has nothing to do with my life or anything I have heard about, just something my mind came up with that I saw fit to write down and now publish online.

on Sep. 2 2010 at 9:12 pm

Thank you so much! :D

Priya21 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 2 2010 at 8:07 pm
Priya21 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

"Be who YOU want to be, not what people tell you to be." -Me

I love it! It was beautifully written!...It's something every girl wishes for! Great job!

on Sep. 2 2010 at 5:19 pm

Thanks Mom!

Freckles said...
on Sep. 2 2010 at 7:52 am
I really enjoyed reading your story. 

on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:45 pm

Thank You!

on Sep. 1 2010 at 8:43 pm
writerwriting GOLD, Houston, Texas
I reallyy liked the ending! How you put in that he said he had something more important to do than watch the sunrise, and that ended up being to propose to her, that tied everything together.