Happy Birthday | Teen Ink

Happy Birthday

By FictionCop101 BRONZE, St. Paris, Ohio
FictionCop101 BRONZE, St. Paris, Ohio

Define normality. Define different. Make yourself clear. Leave nothing to chance. Give every thing your all. Let the games begin.

The dress was long and red. The shoulder straps were thin and black like the small black bow on the right hip of the dress. There were matching fingerless gloves, too.

I looked at myself in the mirror. My black hair flat and straight to my shoulders. My green eyes stared back at me through the curtains of black. My small pink lips were slightly parted as I inspected myself.

This was prom night. Dream night. Let’s just see where it leads.

I walked down the stairs slowly to see my date, Benjamin Thomas, waiting by the door in his suit. His eyes lit up and his mouth opened slightly, but he recovered quickly with a smile. My mom took my picture as I reached the bottom, and another of Benjamin with his arm around me.

“So, what do you think?” I asked, turning in a circle. Benjamin chuckles and shakes his head slightly. “You’re even more beautiful than usual, Naomi.” he takes my hands in his, pulling me to him and kissing my lips gently while my mom wasn’t looking. I smile up at him and he smile back.

“Well, we should be going, Mrs. Jarvis.” My mom said good bye and waved us off as we drove away in Benjamin’s car. When we pulled into the high school parking lot, my friend ruth ran to me, red hair in a bun, black dress to her knees, and a black pendent around her neck.

“Come on, Naomi! Time to party.” And she grabbed my hand, pulling toward the gym. Benjamin followed, holding my other hand. When we entered the gym, there was already a bunch of kids dancing as the music’s back beat reverberated throughout the room. We started to dance and Ruth’s boyfriend, Jack met up with us while we were.

After several songs, a slow song came on. Jack took Ruth’s hips and she put her hands around his neck, laying her head on his chest. I looked to Benjamin, who held out his hand, smiling. “May I have this dance?” I smiled and nodded, allowing his hands to encircle my hips as I raised my arms to his shoulders.

I looked up into his brown eyes, and he looked into mine. Benjamin slowly leaned forward and kissed me again, slowly, passionately. Then he pulled back, allowing my head to rest on his chest.

And he whispered in my ear as we continued to slow dance, “Happy birthday, Naomi.”

i haven't had a prom yet, but i hope it turns out as well as in this story.

ImNotCrazy said...
on Oct. 24 2010 at 12:22 pm

awesome story so cute

on Aug. 28 2010 at 12:07 pm
FictionCop101 BRONZE, St. Paris, Ohio

Thanks. Maybe i will add more. I'll get back to you on that

on Aug. 28 2010 at 2:03 am
teenbookworm14 PLATINUM, Plainfield, Connecticut

"Nothing gold can stay" -Robert Frost

its really cute!!! i like it alot but you should definitely keep going with it or add a bit more, comment on my work :) keep writing!