House in the Lake

Gabrielle woke up, on a Tuesday morning, staring at the unceasing rain. She sighed, watching the drops splash against her window. The morning was so peaceful, it was almost scary. Gabrielle wasn’t used to seeing her house so quiet. She rolled in bed, and faced her back to the window. Today was the day she had been dreading for months. She had promised her best friend, Sasha that she would tell Michael her feelings for him on that exact date. Oh, Michael. Gabrielle’s heart leaped just at the thought of Michael. He had sky blue eyes, and a hair so dark, you could mistake it by the night. Gabrielle instead, has platinum blond hair, and brown eyes so beautiful, they turn gold under the light.
Gabrielle always thought how funny it was, that she thought of Michael as her angel. And whenever she did, she remembered the angels Michael and Gabrielle. It suited perfectly. Michael was her everything, her only love in the lonely world. They had been best friends since they were 7 years old. They had met when Gabrielle was playing hide and seek with her friend Sasha, and got lost. She happened to end up in an old house by the lake that was abandoned. But when she went in the house, she found a dark haired, blue eyed boy. She later found out the boy’s name was Michael. Now, she loved him to no end.
So Gabrielle decided she would not be a coward; that she would face Michael, and tell him she was in love with him, no matter how much rejection hurt.
So Gabrielle decided she would get up, shower, eat and got to school. And that was just what she did. She rolled out of bed, and fell to the floor. With a groan, she composed herself and went to her closet to find out an outfit. Once she had found the right clothes she jumped in the shower, letting the hot water wash away her doubts. Once she was fresh, bathed, and dressed, Gabrielle ate her breakfast uneasily, thinking all the while that she was just minutes away from telling Michael her hidden feelings.
She looked at the clock, and noticed she was late for school… again. So she ran out of the house, locked the house’s door, and got in her beaten up car. She took the time from home to school to think how she would tell Michael of her unending love. But the ride was too short, however, and she was soon getting off her old car.
Once she got off the car, she searched everywhere for Michael. But Gabrielle did not get a sign her love was there. Scared, Gabrielle ran around the parking lot, searching for Michael’s sister, Zoey. Gabrielle was able to spot Zoey standing alone, leaning against the door of her brand new car.
“Zoey? Where is Michael?” Gabrielle asked.
“He’s not here, he’s gone, Gabrielle.” Zoey cried. ‘Gone, he’s gone.’ Her world crumpled and died.
“Where, oh where is he?” Gabrielle cried.
“I don’t know, though he left a note. I haven’t read it yet,” Zoey handed the note to Gabrielle, so she would read it for the first and last time. Gabrielle opened the envelope carefully, as though not to rip it.
Dear family and friends; you will not know from me ever again. I decided to run, seeing as my life has something missing: Gabrielle’s love. She is oblivious to my feelings; as always. And I decided it was better that way. For that reason, I’m leaving. This will be the only goodbye; first and only. Please tell Gabrielle I love her. –Michael.
Tears had started flowing from Gabrielle’s eyes. Michael was gone. And he loved her; her. Where could he be? Gabrielle asked to herself. She thought hard of all the places he could be going to; when she had an idea. Of course! It was obvious, really. He was at the House in the lake! Gabrielle ran to the car, letter in hand, and drove as quick as her car would let her. She drove so fast, she was there in the wink of an eye.
Gabrielle, with letter in hand, got out of the car and ran as fast as her legs would let her. When she was approaching the porch she slowed down; until she had stopped in front of the old door. Gabrielle knocked three times, but nobody answered. So Gabrielle knocked again three times, but this time, the door flew open. And there, shining like Gabrielle’s personal sun stood Michael. Oh, Michael, I love you too, thought Gabrielle.
“Gabrielle? Wha-” he stopped himself, noticing for the first time the letter in Gabrielle’s hand. She stepped closer, and raised her hand a little with the letter.
“Is this true?” she asked. With every word, Michael grew more anxious and dejected, waiting for Gabrielle’s response.
“It is,” replied Michael. Gabrielle smiled through tears, and took a step closer to Michael.
“I love you too,” cried she. And with that, Gabrielle threw herself at Michael in his open arms, wrapped her arms around his neck, and hugged him for dear life.

taylorf463 said...

That was awesome! It was short and sweet and really heartwarming,,, I loved it!!!

btw, will you check out some of my stuff? Thanks! :)

LeahDrawn replied...
Thanks! And... sure, I'd love to read your stuff :D

taylorf463 replied...
This gave me the GREATEST idea for a story! I mean great idea, I hope you don't mind. But tell me if you wanna hear the plot, I haven't got then end nailed down. There are a few possibilities. I love discussing writing with other people! lol :)

LeahDrawn replied...
Sure, I don't mind in the least. And I'd LOVE to hear the plot; I'm sure it's great ;D

taylorf463 replied...

First person told from the girl. Her and a guy meet at a lake house and they fall in love. When school starts, she is offered a learn abroad program. (idk about the details to that.) And she doesn't know what to do. Should it go

1. She gets to the airport then realizes she can't go through with it and finds him at the lake house and they make up. And they stay together happily.

2. She decides she can't leave him and doesn't go. No last minute decisions like in 1. They st... (more »)

LeahDrawn replied...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 12:17 am
Hmm... I'm a sucker for happy endings, so I like better the option number one. But... not necesarily like that. it seems just too easy. she goes to europe and everything, but she's miserable and depressed and all that crap but then boyfriend travels to europe to tell her he still loves her. then he moves to europe or something among those lines; they work it out. I know it sounds cliché, but as I already said, I'm a sucker for happy endings :D But really it's your choice, so... ... (more »)

taylorf463 replied...
I submitted the first chapter just a minute ago, so be on the look out for it. The story is called 'The Lake House.' It is inspired by this story! Very nice writing!!! :)

biddycakes said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:49 am
wow that was adorable! i loved it good job

LeahDrawn replied...
Thank you :)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This was incredible, wonderful similes and descriptions, love the plot, very well-written.  Excellent job.  Keep writing!

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?

LeahDrawn replied...
Sure! Thanks a lot. I will check out and comment your work as fast as I can :D

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you:)This was fabulous.