Pulled to the Depths | Teen Ink

Pulled to the Depths

June 23, 2010
By ayziyu BRONZE, New York City, New York
ayziyu BRONZE, New York City, New York
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power..."


I immerse myself; I loose myself, into those liquid eyes, gaping and endless. The majestic lakes, pushed and pulled by invisible current swirl around, open to the world to read but to ignore their meaning. What meaning? There can be none; these beauties are so full with charms that to add anything else would surely be impossible. From the perfection to the deepest black of the center… unable to resist, my gaze is drawn to that darkest gem, cold and hard, darker than even the deepest pits of hell… but no, nothing in hell or earth could even compare, heaven is what they are, the complex but simple truth.

It's over. The thought suddenly flickered through my mind. Without pondering its foreign origins, I discarded it and once more submerged myself in those enchanting eyes, holding all power in earth, in heaven, in me, setting me aflame with a surge of spirit- but no, there was a change. Subtle as it was, once noted, the flaw grew obvious, as lost as I was. They were clouded by some emotion. I longed to reach out and console them, polish the worries away. It pained me. How could she have let these jewels dullen?

A distant sensation filled me, and I was torn out of the depths. She stood there, her arm outstretched to touch my shoulder. "I said, its over," Her lips spoke. I could not meet her eyes. They were so clouded, so polluted, so suddenly flawed, it pained me. "No," I objected, though whether I voiced it or not, I don't know. I reached for her face. "No," She reflected my thoughts, but her jewels cracked and spoiled more with new emotion. I drew my fingers to her face, and took for me what she was trying to steal away.


The author's comments:
I wrote this one about two years ago, in a fit of flash-fiction obsession. My inspiration? A friend pointed out to me that I was a little too infatuated with eyes. All my notebook margins were stuffed with eye sketches. They still are.