His Last First Date | Teen Ink

His Last First Date

By katiebear GOLD, Mississauga, Other
katiebear GOLD, Mississauga, Other

death is but the next great adventure. - albus dumbledore, greatest fictional character ever.

I sat in the car, nervously wringing my hands as I awaited her arrival. Glancing at my watch for the fifth or sixth time, it was eight o’clock on the nose. “She should be here any second. Get a hold on yourself,” I muttered as I glanced up at her front door. I did a double take as I glanced at my beautiful girlfriend, dressed in a purple gown that reached her ankles, her hair tied back in a messy bun. She was just absolutely stunning. I hurried out of the car and opened the passenger’s door, swallowing past the lump in my throat, smiling.

She smiled back as she practically floated down the steps towards me. As she reached my car, she turned to me and smiled shyly, reaching up to give me a peck on the cheek. I felt my face go hot as she got into the car and I closed the door behind her. Swallowing past another lump in my throat, - these things are getting bigger, I tell you - I got in on my own side and put the key in the ignition after buckling up. I turned to her and weakly started up conversation as my car warmed up.

“Hi,” I grinned nervously.

“Hey,” she responded, a slight red tinge creeping up her neck and reaching her ears. “Um .. so, uh, how are y-you?”

“Fine. Yourself?”

“Good. Excellent. You know, just dandy,” she laughed nervously, pushing back a piece of loose hair.

I smiled and turned my attention towards the steering wheel, almost forgetting how to drive. As I pressed on the gas pedal and the car booted up and starting going, I relaxed to the sound of Mozart playing quietly on the stereo.

“Hope you don’t mind the music,” I said, breaking the silence. “It’s just something to help calm me down, heh.”

“Mozart?” she smiled, turning the volume up a little. “I love that guy. He’s so .. talented.”

“Really? You love Mozart?”

“Oh of course! He’s probably the best composer out there,” she laughed.

I grinned and gave a silent thanks to God as he had granted me with a woman who had excellent taste in music. I breathed a sigh of relief as we approached the restaurant.

“Ready?” I asked carefully, shutting of the car and unbuckling my seat belt.

“I think,” she replied with a nervous laugh.

I turned to her and smiled, reaching over and squeezing her hand gently. Where the courage to do that came from, I have no idea, but I’m so glad I did it because she leaned over and brushed her pink lips against my cheek again. It turned my inside to mush. As we got out of the car and entered the restaurant, taken straight to our reserved seats, I noticed how she was walking a little funny in the heels.

“Is something the matter?” I asked, worried.

“Oh no,” she laughed. “I just don’t wear heels to often. Or dress up. Or wear make-up actually. This is just a really special occasion, you know?”

I thanked God again and helped her sit, then took a seat myself. As we worked our way through dinner, we conversed about everything from poetry to music to vacations to people. It was such a beautiful night and I don’t think I’ve ever had a first date like this before. As we awaited the waiter to come take the cheque, I stared at her with a big grin. She smiled at me curiously.

“What is it?”

“Oh nothing. I’m just admiring the girl who went out with me and spent the best night of my life with me,” I said, surprising myself. She blushed bright red against her dark hair.

“Oh,” she smiled. “Well guess what I’m thinking?”

“How could that salad was?”

“No, silly,” she laughed. “I’m thinking about how I really, really want to do this again. Maybe next weekend?”

“Oh! Um, yeah, uh, for sure!” I stumbled on my words, fumbling with the napkin in my lap.

“Good,” she said firmly. “Then it’s set. Except next time, we’re going to a movie in casual clothes. My feet are aching”

“Good,” I laughed. “Just my kind of thing.”

This was written for my best friend and fellow poet, Ihsan. It's about his hopeful future love life. I love you big brother. (:

katiebear GOLD said...
katiebear GOLD, Mississauga, Other

thank you! :)

Savvy_ PLATINUM, Houston, Texas

Call up the locksmith,
Tell him we need him quick,
We've got a million keys,
None of them seem to fit.

This was cute :)

katiebear GOLD said...
katiebear GOLD, Mississauga, Other

thank you so much! and yeah, for sure. :)

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Great! Very sweet but not that unrealistic.  Portrays the emotions perfectly.  Awesome job!  Keep writing!

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?