The Collector This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I used to collect things, did you know that?
I used to collect your smiles. I would tuck them away and keep them for days when the rain beat down on the world.

I used to collect your kisses. Each one was so gentle and tender; I would keep them in my pockets and relive the moments, cherishing the fact that I had them.

I used to collect your hugs. I would neatly hang them in my closet, where they would stay until one of those dreadful nights when I woke up scared of the dark and craving you. I would just pluck one out of the closet and wrap it around myself, relishing its warmth and comfort.

I used to collect your wishes. They were so shiny and beautiful, almost as gorgeous as you. Every night I would add my own – only mine weren't for grandeur or fame, but rather for all of yours to come true.

I used to collect your sighs. I would catch them in a bottle as they drifted from your mouth while we sat on the couch, just admiring each other.

I used to collect your touches. Whether it was a little brush of the arm or a timid caress, I would keep it and store it away in a drawer so I could always have you close at hand, even when you were miles away.

Yes, I used to be quite the collector, but not anymore. Not since you left me alone with nothing new to collect.

Now the smiles have cracked, and the kisses are meaningless. The hugs are wrinkled and eaten away by moths. Your wishes have grown dim and are covered with dust. The sighs have gone stale, and the touches have faded.

I used to collect things, but now I just keep them cluttered together in the bottom of my closet. Sometimes I still take them out and turn them over in my hands, remembering days that are no more – but not often.

I used to collect things, you know. But not anymore. Now I'm just a pack rat, with drawers and closets stuffed with useless mementos.

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this! It is relatable because we all have stuff in the bottoms of our closets that make us sad and remind us of happier days. 5 stars!

IamtheshyStargirl said...

How utterly beautiful.

So simple, so delicate, yet so meaningful and detailed.

Relished.

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
agreed.              

Megan.J.BThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is really good. The ending was just fabulous.

UniquelyCreativelyMe said...
GIRL  YOU HAVE TALLENT! Keep Going!

The_Phantom_ofthe_Opera This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
hey darling! I read this ages ago, didn't know it was you!!!!!! its really good!!!! xx rosie xxx

doyoulove This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
lol awww, ty rosie! :D

maggiebar1 said...
Sept. 4, 2010 at 11:55 am
really good. i loved this... haha i looked on your page and am so glad to see a fellow regina spektor fan!! ;) haha could u check out some of my work? id appreciate it! :)

courteycat said...
I loved it. It was well-written and very interesting. The title can pull readers in :D