Maybe

I’d liked you for a long time. You didn’t know but every time I had a chance to be with you I tried.

One night you texted me. We started talking and you said you liked me. You asked me out. I said yes.

The next day, you broke up with me, saying this wasn’t going to work out. I said ok. I was hurt but brushed it off, knowing what you said was the truth.

At school a day later, I could see you watching me in the classes we had together. I tried not to look in your general direction. I didn’t talk to you at all too.

After school you texted me. We started talking and you asked me out again. I thought about it for a while but ended up saying yes.

We talked all the time for the next 3 weeks. You couldn’t hang out because you were grounded. I understood.

Your mom ended up finding out about us. She said you could hang with me. You asked me to the movies. I said yes.

I ended up not going. I guess you understood.

A week later you asked me hang out after school. I said yes.

I ended up being sick and not going.

2 days later you asked me to hang out again. I couldn’t because I had sports and had to stay after school.

You said it was over, because we could never hang out.

I brushed it off but secretly remembered all the times you couldn’t hang out with me.

We started texting again recently. You asked me out. I said yes.

We talked all night. I never got any sleep.

Then randomly you said we were over. I thought maybe you had a new girlfriend as far away as you are. I thought maybe you got into the drugs that were surrounding you.

Just a night ago, you asked to talk to me. I agreed.

You told me you made a mistake and that you missed me. That you were sorry for everything and didn’t expect me to take you back.

Secretly I knew I wanted to take you back right then. Wanted to tell you it was okay.

But really, I’ve been hurt to many times. I don’t know if I can let you back in or trust you again.
I won’t love you like I used to. It wouldn’t be like it used to.
We’d be different. We are so different. Maybe that’s why it never works out…

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I love this, especially the matter-of-fact way in which it's told.  Marvelous.  Excellent job!  Keep writing!

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?